TR: The Cowboys May Have Spent Themselves Into a Bad Situation

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keeping Garrett was a monumental mistake. It wasted 4 years of good and cheap talent.

And entire careers prior to that. Ware, Romo, Witten. Ware escaped the Garrett curse and won a championship elsewhere, but otherwise, he would join Romo and Witten and many others in being without a ring.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Keeping Garrett was a monumental mistake. It wasted 4 years of good and cheap talent.

Like the first year of those 4 when we went from 4-12 to 13-3 when Garrett won Coach of the Year? Garrett certainly deserved to be fired last year but its a reach to criticize him for 2016.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Oh, overall, I'm with you bro, but these huge contracts lately are looking worrisome. McCarthy definitely has his work cut out for himself and his new coaching staff. Me thinks lots of contract restructuring is going to be happening.

Ugh, that "kick the can down the road" memories of the past comes to mind. Sorry, don't mean to dampen the mood. Keeping fingers crossed all works out and this new coaching staff is able to overcome any shortcomings.
Cowboys are extremely cap healthy and they just signed a new cba which will help the cap grow larger than ever and new tv contracts for the 2023 season will bring even more.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Like the first year of those 4 when we went from 4-12 to 13-3 when Garrett won Coach of the Year? Garrett certainly deserved to be fired last year but its a reach to criticize him for 2016.
Because prior to that, he had a world class QB and couldn't do squat with him. That's a fire-able offense in my book. The results 4 years later speak for themselves.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Because prior to that, he had a world class QB and couldn't do squat with him. That's a fire-able offense in my book. The results 4 years later speak for themselves.

His QB before that was Brandon Weeden. The year before that Romo was 12-3.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
His failures were to be expected. His privileged career ended the way it should've, but 7 years too late. He was a one year offensive coordinator, who was basically GIVEN the HC Job after a horrible OC career in Dallas. He sabotaged Wade, and Jerry just wanted him to be Tom Landry. He never should've gotten this job, and the entire world knew this.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just one more point about Garrett. Jerry Jones does not run his team like he runs the organization. The way he runs his team is emotional and fan-like. He wants to run it based off of past success and this is not 1990, this is 2020. So right now, he finally admitted he made a mistake and canned Garrett. So right now going forward, we'll see how he runs his team.

We'll see if he allows McCarthy to do what he wants and to stay out of it. Otherwise, we could be reliving this nightmare for another decade. By the way, I love your work Kaiser.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I say there will always be negativity and doom and gloom, no matter what course of action they take. Everyone makes mistakes and miscalculations. I think the future looks bright for this team, and I prefer to be optimistic and enjoy life.

Future hasn't looked this bright in 25 years. Garrett is gone, we have a REAL HC, he is making all the right moves in FA and our young core is all signed on for the next 4 years or so.

AND we still have 29 million in cap space before Dak signs his long term deal. And we have something like another 100 million next year in cap space. Probably less now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just one more point about Garrett. Jerry Jones does not run his team like he runs the organization. The way he runs his team is emotional and fan-like. He wants to run it based off of past success and this is not 1990, this is 2020. So right now, he finally admitted he made a mistake and canned Garrett. So right now going forward, we'll see how he runs his team.

We'll see if he allows McCarthy to do what he wants and to stay out of it. Otherwise, we could be reliving this nightmare for another decade. By the way, I love your work Kaiser.
There are a lot of really good posters who are fun and informative in their own, diverse ways.
@Kaiser is one of them. You're a fave of mine also. I miss you doing the play-by-plays during gameday.

Edit: after I posted this and having seen @CowboyRoy post right above me... he's fun to read also.
Credit where credit's due.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

How was his coaching in totality?

Kaiser

Reaction score
How was his coaching in totality?

I put Garrett into three sections like a lot of HCs. The first 5 years or so he did an above average job in putting things on a new track. Then he was average-slightly above average with a good team but didn't climb the mountain top. Last year he lost the team and deserved to be fired. Most coaches, including Landry, have different grades at different stages.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I put Garrett into three sections like a lot of HCs. The first 5 years or so he did an above average job in putting things on a new track. Then he was average-slightly above average with a good team but didn't climb the mountain top. Last year he lost the team and deserved to be fired. Most coaches, including Landry, have different grades at different stages.

Belichick, is known as a good coach. I never hear any breakdowns or excuses. Most, look at his coaching tenure in totality.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MODERATOR EDIT: The original post was created with much larger font that was later changed to smaller font.

The Cowboys May Have Spent Themselves Into a Bad Situation

After years of getting great offensive production at a low cost, Dallas had to shell out this offseason—and it’s come at the expense of depth and defense

By Danny Heifetz Mar 26, 2020, 9:54am EDT
AmariCooperCowboys_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg

There are plenty of memories from Jason Garrett’s time with the Cowboys. There was the stretch when Dallas lost a playoff spot to a division rival in the final week of the season three years in a row. Twice. Dallas had a promising season end with a devastating playoff loss to the Packers. Twice. Garrett wasted the prime years of Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, and DeMarcus Ware, and when he stumbled onto their replacements with Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper, and DeMarcus Lawrence, he failed to capitalize on that group’s potential too. But mostly Garrett will be remembered for the clapping, which inspired his nickname and sealed him as the emblem for the Cowboys’ failings, a real-life “this is fine” meme.

When Cowboys owner Jerry Jones finally fired Garrett in January (after a lengthy delay), he replaced him with Mike McCarthy, the coach of those Packers teams that ripped out Dallas’s heart. McCarthy’s first words as Cowboys head coach in his introductory press conference immediately set him apart from his predecessor.

“It is great to be here,” McCarthy said. “I’m having a moment here because I don’t know where the hell to put my hands.”

The move from the Clapper to a coach who doesn’t know what to do with his hands is a perfect metaphor. In truth the Cowboys have tied one of McCarthy’s hands behind his back. Jones and his son Stephen, the pair who runs the team and makes front-office decisions, hired McCarthy to win a Super Bowl. But the Joneses are giving McCarthy many of the same stars Garrett coached while they were on cheap contracts after the Joneses have paid them top dollar. Whereas Garrett oversaw rosters teeming with talent and value, McCarthy is getting less of each and being asked to do more.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/3/26/21195155/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-amari-cooper-defense

It doesn't look pretty. Welcome more cap hell...:banghead:

What say you?

:popcorn:

The Cowboys have only been in actual cap hell once and that only lasted a few weeks.

It was the Spring of 2013 and Romo had a big cap hit under his existing contract while they negotiated his new contract. They were literally out of cap space and out other contracts to restructure. They had restructured the backup QB just to create 150K in cap space.

They've been planning for this since 2014.

If players on big contract play well it will all be good. If multiple big contract players fail then it'a bad; however, if multiple top players fail the results will be bad regardless of how much those players are making.