Trade for O.J. Howard?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
think a 4th can get it done ? Would you if so

Another fan playing scout/GM and grabbing at straws. In Howard's 3 seasons thus far has failed to play in all 16 games. After already signing Bell to compete with Jarwin, why would they waste addition resources acquiring another TE?

DanA

Reaction score
I'd definately trade a 4th for OJ Howard. I like Jarwin be he hasn't done enough to be given the job without being pushed by competition. And Shultz IMO isn't up to it if we get even one injury

DanA

Reaction score
Another fan playing scout/GM and grabbing at straws. In Howard's 3 seasons thus far has failed to play in all 16 games. After already signing Bell to compete with Jarwin, why would they waste addition resources acquiring another TE?

Nobody is asking to break the bank. We're talking a 4th round pick and Sean Lee money. Howard can legitimately compete to be the number 1 TE and if not, he can be a solid no.2 and special teams player. A no.2 TE probably plays 400 offensive snaps and then another 150 ST snaps so it's not ridiculous to ask for a bit more. When you look at contracts:

Contracts:

Cooper Rush - 2.13m
Jamize Olawale - 1.70m
Blake Bell - 1.68m
Joe Thomas - 1.20m
Maurice Canady - 1.25m
Darian Thompson - 1.25m

And only 680k of Bells money is guaranteed. Look at what Chicago currently are spending on the TE position:
Trey Burton - 8.5m
Jimmy Graham - 6.5m
Cole Kmet - 2020 (2020 2nd round pick)
Adam Shehan - 1.8m (former 2nd rounder)
Demetrius Harris - 1.65m
Ben Brauneker - 1.6m

Howard hasn't clicked yet but his athleticism is absurd and he has sky high potential that he hasn't lived up to but it's only his 4th season. It couldn't hurt to take a swing here.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nobody is asking to break the bank. We're talking a 4th round pick and Sean Lee money. Howard can legitimately compete to be the number 1 TE and if not, he can be a solid no.2 and special teams player. A no.2 TE probably plays 400 offensive snaps and then another 150 ST snaps so it's not ridiculous to ask for a bit more. When you look at contracts:

Contracts:

Cooper Rush - 2.13m
Jamize Olawale - 1.70m
Blake Bell - 1.68m
Joe Thomas - 1.20m
Maurice Canady - 1.25m
Darian Thompson - 1.25m

And only 680k of Bells money is guaranteed. Look at what Chicago currently are spending on the TE position:
Trey Burton - 8.5m
Jimmy Graham - 6.5m
Cole Kmet - 2020 (2020 2nd round pick)
Adam Shehan - 1.8m (former 2nd rounder)
Demetrius Harris - 1.65m
Ben Brauneker - 1.6m

Howard hasn't clicked yet but his athleticism is absurd and he has sky high potential that he hasn't lived up to but it's only his 4th season. It couldn't hurt to take a swing here.

Another fan playing scout/GM and not very good at it. First, the Cowboys sign Bell to compete with Jarwin for the starting job and doing so makes it foolish to invest more resources (a player and/or future draft pick) on another TE. Next the Cowboys now have THREE very good WR's and there isn't enough balls to go around just for those three. Next you big idea ahsn't played a entire 16 game season yet in his 1st 3 seasons. Next you have this idea that because a player is a starter on a bad team that it automaticallty makes him good. Players that aren't that good become starters on bad teams because they don't have a lot of talent at a lot of positions. Please leave the scouting and GM'ing to those that get paid to do it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd definately trade a 4th for OJ Howard. I like Jarwin be he hasn't done enough to be given the job without being pushed by competition. And Shultz IMO isn't up to it if we get even one injury

You forget the Cowboys signed Bell and didn't have to give up any players and/or draft picks to get him.

DanA

Reaction score
Another fan playing scout/GM and not very good at it. First, the Cowboys sign Bell to compete with Jarwin for the starting job and doing so makes it foolish to invest more resources (a player and/or future draft pick) on another TE. Next the Cowboys now have THREE very good WR's and there isn't enough balls to go around just for those three. Next you big idea ahsn't played a entire 16 game season yet in his 1st 3 seasons. Next you have this idea that because a player is a starter on a bad team that it automaticallty makes him good. Players that aren't that good become starters on bad teams because they don't have a lot of talent at a lot of positions. Please leave the scouting and GM'ing to those that get paid to do it.

Laughable analysis on all levels. I don't know where to start

• Three good TE's.....Shultz is a good TE now......based on what?
  • Bell is competing with Jarwin.....he's never even scored an NFL touchdown, he has averaged 65 yards per season the last four years. He's on 1.68m per season. What gives you the idea that he's competition? With only 650k guaranteed if anything he's more of a cut candidate.
  • I never said Howard was an automatic starter, I just said he's an athletic beast with potential....hence the high 1st round pick used on him when drafted. And he's way more proven than Bell as a receiving threat. He's more proven than Jarwin but obviously isn't a superstar....hence the relatively low price tag.
Seriously clueless.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Laughable analysis on all levels. I don't know where to start

• Three good TE's.....Shultz is a good TE now......based on what?
  • Bell is competing with Jarwin.....he's never even scored an NFL touchdown, he has averaged 65 yards per season the last four years. He's on 1.68m per season. What gives you the idea that he's competition? With only 650k guaranteed if anything he's more of a cut candidate.
  • I never said Howard was an automatic starter, I just said he's an athletic beast with potential....hence the high 1st round pick used on him when drafted. And he's way more proven than Bell as a receiving threat. He's more proven than Jarwin but obviously isn't a superstar....hence the relatively low price tag.
Seriously clueless.

So based on all your years as a NFL coach/scout/GM you are justifying spending more resources on yet another TE. All you've done is say hey Gronk is now in Tampa so lets figure a way to get Howard because he'll be the backup now. Never mind that it will cost the Cowboys some type of resource beyond money to acquire him, just find that way because the Cowboys don't have enough talent in the passing game that to not get him is a huge mistake. Now I'm sure nobody at this point is going to say the Cowboys starting WR's are not good enough so there is no logical reason to spend resources NOW on another TE. Whether you think the TE's the Cowboys have are inadequate or not, the number of balls ANY TE is going to see with the three WR's the Cowboys have is minimal and I think most will say that Jarwin will fill that void without using anymore resources.

CWR

Reaction score
We have so many skill players now that there aren’t enough balls to go around

I wouldn’t spend any draft capital on a tight end

Thats actually a good point, between ours WRs, Zeke, TP and even Jarwin there are more than enough weapons. If we got another TE he would have to represent great value. Im sure it will also depend on scheme and how MM/KM utilize everyone.

DanA

Reaction score
So based on all your years as a NFL coach/scout/GM you are justifying spending more resources on yet another TE. All you've done is say hey Gronk is now in Tampa so lets figure a way to get Howard because he'll be the backup now. Never mind that it will cost the Cowboys some type of resource beyond money to acquire him, just find that way because the Cowboys don't have enough talent in the passing game that to not get him is a huge mistake. Now I'm sure nobody at this point is going to say the Cowboys starting WR's are not good enough so there is no logical reason to spend resources NOW on another TE. Whether you think the TE's the Cowboys have are inadequate or not, the number of balls ANY TE is going to see with the three WR's the Cowboys have is minimal and I think most will say that Jarwin will fill that void without using anymore resources.

What....and you have years of being a GM to tell me I am wrong?

You're on a forum, people will voice opinions, and there's not going to be much discussion if we accept the argument of your not a GM so you are wrong. And the number of balls argument is total BS. You don't understand what you are talking about.

Cobb 83 targets....828 yards
Witten 83 targets....539 yards
Jarwin 41 targets....365 yards

Even if Lamb exceeds Cobb and has 100 targets. That still leaves more opportunity to our 2nd TE than you'd want to give Bell. Just because your first team is great doesn't meet you can neglect depth. Injuries happen, players get tired.

DanA

Reaction score
Thats actually a good point, between ours WRs, Zeke, TP and even Jarwin there are more than enough weapons. If we got another TE he would have to represent great value. Im sure it will also depend on scheme and how MM/KM utilize everyone.

We have better skill players but we have less of them. I don't think you can argue that Cobb and Witten lacked targets and we still had Jarwin and Austin make a contribution.

vnick

Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, you can offer a 2021 sixth for Howard. We will get that back in a comp pick. If Howard does nothing, we waste a sixth round pick. If he balls out and leaves via FA with a big contract, we will get that or better back in a 2022 comp. Now is the time to see if they want to move him or not.

CWR

Reaction score
We have better skill players but we have less of them. I don't think you can argue that Cobb and Witten lacked targets and we still had Jarwin and Austin make a contribution.

If we swap out Cobb for CeeDee I suppose we are still down Witten, but he wasn't really a positive as the season went on. We need depth at TE for sure. That said placing value on the position when you are already juggling between Coop, Ceedee, Gallup, TP and Zeke is probably an unnecessary exercise. Of course it really depends on scheme. Many have been expecting to see TP utilized more in the passing game this year. Combine those reps with the reps Ceedee's talent will demand and there may not be enough left over to justify significant resources to the position. We arent likely to see a lot of 12 personnel this year.

DanA

Reaction score
If we swap out Cobb for CeeDee I suppose we are still down Witten, but he wasn't really a positive as the season went on. We need depth at TE for sure. That said placing value on the position when you are already juggling between Coop, Ceedee, Gallup, TP and Zeke is probably an unnecessary exercise. Of course it really depends on scheme. Many have been expecting to see TP utilized more in the passing game this year. Combine those reps with the reps Ceedee's talent will demand and there may not be enough left over to justify significant resources to the position. We arent likely to see a lot of 12 personnel this year.

I agree with all of that, and maybe Howard is overkill but he's available and we need simply need better than Bell IMO. If Jarwin goes down injured or needs a break, opposition DC's might as well double team to our WR's on passing downs and put an extra man in the box on run downs because none of the other TE options are gonna be a receiving threat.

Reactions: CWR