Trade for O.J. Howard?

CowboyJ70

Reaction score
Maybe with Cle drafting Harrison Bryant and signing Austin Hooper, call about Njoku and see if they are willing to deal him. Just a random thought.

CWR

Reaction score
I agree with all of that, and maybe Howard is overkill but he's available and we need simply need better than Bell IMO. If Jarwin goes down injured or needs a break, opposition DC's might as well double team to our WR's on passing downs and put an extra man in the box on run downs because none of the other TE options are gonna be a receiving threat.

Good point, Id also look at Ebron and Njoku.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Who's had the better career so far, Njoku or Howard? Don't follow those teams enough to know how they've been doing beyond stats.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jarwin has scored 6 tds in 2 years.

None in his last 8 games of last year.

5 of his 6 tds were against the Giants
1 of his 6 tds came from Philly banged up

All were in Meaningless games and none meant jack squat.

Here is our everydown te thats gonna Lead us to Victory?

Or just when we play the Giants?

Go get somebody.
But you want to get OJ Howard, who A) has the same number of touchdowns in the last 2 years, B) scored his only TD last year against 3-6-1 Arizona, C) scored 4 of his 5 in 2018 in losses?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Another fan playing scout/GM and grabbing at straws. In Howard's 3 seasons thus far has failed to play in all 16 games. After already signing Bell to compete with Jarwin, why would they waste addition resources acquiring another TE?

Because we run a stupid EXCLUSIVE 12 and 11 Personnel Group Passing Attack LIKE GRONK AND HERNANDEZ and our best Te didnt even Score a TD IN THE LAST 8 GAMES.

1 playoff Td in 15 yrs brah. Jarwin has only scored against the pathetic Giants and a banged up Philly team. Those 2 teams sucked and their production was all a bunch of meaningless stats in meaningless blowout games or losing fashion.

We spend the resources because we want the best Te out there that can draw coverage away from our best receivers and put up scoring BENCHMARKS.

We dont want to watch Swaim play every passing snap all year w 1 td. I mean Hanna I mean Escobar I mean Phillips, I mean Schultz, i mean Gathers, I mean witten, i meant Jarwin for 15 years and every fb to boot that has 1 Playoff Td in 15 yrs WHO put up Zero PRODUCTION against winning teams. What game winning Catch Against a good team, or in the playoffs or in a game period lol did any of these guys achieve. Nothing. We had the best scoring offense against the giants. But all I saw was a bunch of what our tes never do which is score very often or draw top defenders or make gamechanging plays on 3rd and 24.

If they dont win ya beans in the Red zone and have no sauce when it matters or against good TEAMS AT SOME POINT YA GOTTA CUT BAIT.

WARM BODIES DONT SCORE BRAH RECEIVERS WHO CANT SCORE ARE RECEIVERS THAT DO NOT CUT IT IN THIS LEAGUE PLAYING EVERY Passing snap.
And all we use EXCLUSIVELY is an ignorant 2 te and 1 te passing formation.

And we dont need to look for a Gronk and Hernandez because Dalton Schultz and Blake Jarwin had 15 tds last year right?

They caught a 1000 balls for 3 YARDS AND COULDNT SCORE UNLESS THE DEFENDER SLIPPPED ON A BANANNA PEEL. GRONK WAS TRIPLE TEAMED AND SCORED 16 TDS AND PUT AWAY TEAMS AS A RECEIVER. JARED COOK ENDED OUR PLAYOFF RUN AGAINST GREEN BAY. HES A STUD COMPARED TO OUR TES THAT NEVER WIN ANYTHING or draw a top defender. Never.

Jarwin got signed but has no deep ball or Red zone Scoring ability when we need to beat a good team. Hes a Zero on paper but so was Witten for 5+years as a wr on passing downs.

If we Altogether Ended the ignorant 12 personnell passing Curse thats plagued Us......and used more 10 personnel more regularly on critical plays and 3rd downs and long distances .......I might agree with ya. But we dont Brah.

Its the Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz led 12 and 11 personnel passing Attack and what was so great about that? That One 2 yard Td pass to Swaim all year when the defender slipped just electrified the crowd. Thats our te core for 15 yrs.

We saw #82 end our 8-8 Seasons like 5 yrs in on 3rd down and 10 passes for 3 yards from Romo but he caught it for the loss!

When we get a gronk and hernandez were good in this scheme. We got 2 scrub receivers dominating passing snaps every year.

Websters Dictionary
Tight End= Tall Heavy Receiver that uses his stature to run block and score.

Dallas Cowboys Websters Edition-
Tight End- A Tall heavy Blocker who plays receiver on every passing play but his primary objective is to catch checkdowns and move the chains and block downfield for the only Players on the team who can score. (Who are usually double teamed cuz they suck at receiving and only drawing containment by the Worst defender ever if anybody) because they got no scoring ability in the Red zone or anywhere else. Esp in the playoffs. Their main objective is to not go up for catches and get hurt or score so they can keep their longevity to sneak open for a quick first down. One everydown blocker and one less scoring threat in a skilled position that is a receiving position is Hardwired into our scheme and brains on every passing play on offense.

Lest stick w Shultz and Jarwin. The Gronk and Hernandez type Tes dont deserve a main cog as receiver in a passing scheme.. Lol.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd rather keep Jarwin and my draft picks. Another te isn't going to do much with 1 year left on the contract. But just look what we got for our 6th round pick. someone who might contribute 3-4 years as opposed to 1.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
So based on all your years as a NFL coach/scout/GM you are justifying spending more resources on yet another TE. All you've done is say hey Gronk is now in Tampa so lets figure a way to get Howard because he'll be the backup now. Never mind that it will cost the Cowboys some type of resource beyond money to acquire him, just find that way because the Cowboys don't have enough talent in the passing game that to not get him is a huge mistake. Now I'm sure nobody at this point is going to say the Cowboys starting WR's are not good enough so there is no logical reason to spend resources NOW on another TE. Whether you think the TE's the Cowboys have are inadequate or not, the number of balls ANY TE is going to see with the three WR's the Cowboys have is minimal and I think most will say that Jarwin will fill that void without using anymore resources.

Tell Zac Ertz kelce gronk kittle that. We nee a 2 td guy not a 15 td a yr guy. We got the worst red zone offense in cowboys history and set a record for how many points we couldnt score against good teams.

Why because our tes suck. They arent even acceptable. They cant score from 5 yards must less 20. Lmao. 8 straight games batting zero. Thats like a DH in baseball who cant hit a home run.

Show me one gamewinning td highlight from a dallas cowboy te ever. Lmao. The fg kicker may have but not one of our tes. Sorry but we have 2 dominant receiving te positions built for gronk and hernandez and we dont even have a starter in black and white.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Who's had the better career so far, Njoku or Howard? Don't follow those teams enough to know how they've been doing beyond stats.

I'd rather keep Jarwin and my draft picks. Another te isn't going to do much with 1 year left on the contract. But just look what we got for our 6th round pick. someone who might contribute 3-4 years as opposed to 1.

We got 2 skilled players who cant score at te but are main cogs in our passing offense. If ya feel that way just cut them and the fbs and use olineman. They could make more scores and gamechanging plays. Or just go 10 personnel and be the houston oilers with a Running qb. Better than watching a scrub te not win a game or ruin it for the wrs.

I guess ya would rather have jarwin and schultz on 3rd and long than 4 wrs or dual rbs. If you believe it ok to have swaim jarwin or witten out there on all those passing snaps where is all of the scoring production gonna come from.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We got 2 skilled players who cant score at te but are main cogs in our passing offense. If ya feel that way just cut them and the fbs and use olineman. They could make more scores and gamechanging plays. Or just go 10 personnel and be the houston oilers with a Running qb. Better than watching a scrub te not win a game or ruin it for the wrs.

I guess ya would rather have jarwin and schultz on 3rd and long than 4 wrs or dual rbs. If you believe it ok to have swaim jarwin or witten out there on all those passing snaps where is all of the scoring production gonna come from.

There are lots of things you can do. In tight space Witten was way better than Jarwin. But who cares we have Jarwin now who they extended. My problem with trading picks for OJ is his length of contract. Neither OJ or Jarwin are td machines so far in their careers. At this point we can easily go 2 back or 4 receiver or 3 receiver with Jarwin out wide or any number of combinations. Let's see what they do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why trade.....because someone else will if not us. He won't be cut.
he is an often injured TE, a first rounder player still on his first round contract who is now the 3rd TE on his team. so which team is going to trade what for an expensive player, who couldn't start on a crappy team, who is now 3rd...a first round player that has never had more than 34 catches!!! we have one of those. found him as UDFA. he had almost as many receptions as the back up TE.....so why trade for an expensive back up? when they can be found for free!!!specially one that's often injured.

DanA

Reaction score
he is an often injured TE, a first rounder player still on his first round contract who is now the 3rd TE on his team. so which team is going to trade what for an expensive player, who couldn't start on a crappy team, who is now 3rd...a first round player that has never had more than 34 catches!!! we have one of those. found him as UDFA. he had almost as many receptions as the back up TE.....so why trade for an expensive back up? when they can be found for free!!!specially one that's often injured.

If I had to guess.....49ers, Ravens, Patriots, Packers and Cowboys will show interest at the right price. Titans an outside chance to have an interest as well. You can find his production but you'll never find someone with his athleticism/potential on the open market at his contact price.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The only problem with trading for Howard is that he’s on the last year of his deal. We already got the #1 highest paid RB, WR, OG and soon to be QB in the league. Don’t think we can afford to give out big bucks to a guy who would be the 4th option in the pass game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What....and you have years of being a GM to tell me I am wrong?

You're on a forum, people will voice opinions, and there's not going to be much discussion if we accept the argument of your not a GM so you are wrong. And the number of balls argument is total BS. You don't understand what you are talking about.

Cobb 83 targets....828 yards
Witten 83 targets....539 yards
Jarwin 41 targets....365 yards

Even if Lamb exceeds Cobb and has 100 targets. That still leaves more opportunity to our 2nd TE than you'd want to give Bell. Just because your first team is great doesn't meet you can neglect depth. Injuries happen, players get tired.

What I've said is WASTING resources to acquire another TE.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Because we run a stupid EXCLUSIVE 12 and 11 Personnel Group Passing Attack LIKE GRONK AND HERNANDEZ and our best Te didnt even Score a TD IN THE LAST 8 GAMES.

1 playoff Td in 15 yrs brah. Jarwin has only scored against the pathetic Giants and a banged up Philly team. Those 2 teams sucked and their production was all a bunch of meaningless stats in meaningless blowout games or losing fashion.

We spend the resources because we want the best Te out there that can draw coverage away from our best receivers and put up scoring BENCHMARKS.

We dont want to watch Swaim play every passing snap all year w 1 td. I mean Hanna I mean Escobar I mean Phillips, I mean Schultz, i mean Gathers, I mean witten, i meant Jarwin for 15 years and every fb to boot that has 1 Playoff Td in 15 yrs WHO put up Zero PRODUCTION against winning teams. What game winning Catch Against a good team, or in the playoffs or in a game period lol did any of these guys achieve. Nothing. We had the best scoring offense against the giants. But all I saw was a bunch of what our tes never do which is score very often or draw top defenders or make gamechanging plays on 3rd and 24.

If they dont win ya beans in the Red zone and have no sauce when it matters or against good TEAMS AT SOME POINT YA GOTTA CUT BAIT.

WARM BODIES DONT SCORE BRAH RECEIVERS WHO CANT SCORE ARE RECEIVERS THAT DO NOT CUT IT IN THIS LEAGUE PLAYING EVERY Passing snap.
And all we use EXCLUSIVELY is an ignorant 2 te and 1 te passing formation.

And we dont need to look for a Gronk and Hernandez because Dalton Schultz and Blake Jarwin had 15 tds last year right?

They caught a 1000 balls for 3 YARDS AND COULDNT SCORE UNLESS THE DEFENDER SLIPPPED ON A BANANNA PEEL. GRONK WAS TRIPLE TEAMED AND SCORED 16 TDS AND PUT AWAY TEAMS AS A RECEIVER. JARED COOK ENDED OUR PLAYOFF RUN AGAINST GREEN BAY. HES A STUD COMPARED TO OUR TES THAT NEVER WIN ANYTHING or draw a top defender. Never.

Jarwin got signed but has no deep ball or Red zone Scoring ability when we need to beat a good team. Hes a Zero on paper but so was Witten for 5+years as a wr on passing downs.

If we Altogether Ended the ignorant 12 personnell passing Curse thats plagued Us......and used more 10 personnel more regularly on critical plays and 3rd downs and long distances .......I might agree with ya. But we dont Brah.

Its the Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz led 12 and 11 personnel passing Attack and what was so great about that? That One 2 yard Td pass to Swaim all year when the defender slipped just electrified the crowd. Thats our te core for 15 yrs.

We saw #82 end our 8-8 Seasons like 5 yrs in on 3rd down and 10 passes for 3 yards from Romo but he caught it for the loss!

When we get a gronk and hernandez were good in this scheme. We got 2 scrub receivers dominating passing snaps every year.

Websters Dictionary
Tight End= Tall Heavy Receiver that uses his stature to run block and score.

Dallas Cowboys Websters Edition-
Tight End- A Tall heavy Blocker who plays receiver on every passing play but his primary objective is to catch checkdowns and move the chains and block downfield for the only Players on the team who can score. (Who are usually double teamed cuz they suck at receiving and only drawing containment by the Worst defender ever if anybody) because they got no scoring ability in the Red zone or anywhere else. Esp in the playoffs. Their main objective is to not go up for catches and get hurt or score so they can keep their longevity to sneak open for a quick first down. One everydown blocker and one less scoring threat in a skilled position that is a receiving position is Hardwired into our scheme and brains on every passing play on offense.

Lest stick w Shultz and Jarwin. The Gronk and Hernandez type Tes dont deserve a main cog as receiver in a passing scheme.. Lol.

In your long winded rant you pointed out a big reason why the Cowboys have to have that TE to pull coverage away from the WR's but the whole idea of have THREE receivers like the Cowboys have is to do the very same thing. Even Gronk doesn't get double covered very often so having those three receivers plus a TE, Jarwin DOES stretch the other teams coverage. Even Witten in his prime had seasons of 1, 2, 3 TD's so you're idea that the Cowboys have to have a Gronk type TE to score is foolishness.