Trade for O.J. Howard?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We spend too much time trying to emulate that team from 25 years ago instead of focussing on what we have were trying to make guys something their not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard all this about swaim too. How he is A serviceable te. How did that one 2 yard td taste all year? Lol.

I heard how Witten could move the chains and pick up some of that lost production from losing Beasely. I didnt agree and #82 never lets me down. He also didnt make those 2-3 gamechanging plays that Beasely did.

Maybe Jarwin will break out and be the next stud te. I saw some more juice but I still didnt see any go up and get a Ball. Its been years and years of nothing but hype and hope. I wanted Jared Cook last year.

I hope this coaching staff changes our stupid scheme and plays situational football. The set it and forget it defined position roles never get us anywhere.

It doesnt take a whole season to find out just about 4 games. At least try some dual rb and dual slot wr formations for Goodness Sakes
Aside from the fact that (a) I don't think many really were touting Swaim, (b) every player that steps up in role isn't going to work out well ideally, (c) a team can't replace every lost player with a proven, high level player - that's not remotely realistic, and (d) there are other examples of people stepping up and doing well - I gave some yesterday ...

Swaim went into that season with career totals of 9 catches for 74 yards and 0 TDs over 28 games, and Jarwin is going into this season with 58 catches for 672 yards and 6 TD's in 33 games. Accordingly, Jarwin has been a productive backup, and there is a lot more to base hope on with Jarwin than there was with Swaim.

I have no idea what the point is of the Beasley/Witten comments. Witten was not the "next man up when Beasley left. Beasley was replaced by Cobb.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Aside from the fact that (a) I don't think many really were touting Swaim, (b) every player that steps up in role isn't going to work out well ideally, (c) a team can't replace every lost player with a proven, high level player - that's not remotely realistic, and (d) there are other examples of people stepping up and doing well - I gave some yesterday ...

Swaim went into that season with career totals of 9 catches for 74 yards and 0 TDs over 28 games, and Jarwin is going into this season with 58 catches for 672 yards and 6 TD's in 33 games. Accordingly, Jarwin has been a productive backup, and there is a lot more to base hope on with Jarwin than there was with Swaim.

I have no idea what the point is of the Beasley/Witten comments. Witten was not the "next man up when Beasley left. Beasley was replaced by Cobb.

We use 2 starting tes. You can call Jarwin the backup but he was a starter.

Our offense would have been great for years had we used dual slot wrs and rbs but yall think emulating a Gronk Hernandez style passing attack with guys like Escobar, hanna and all the other scrub tes is SERVICEABLE

BUT 10 YEARS LATER WE HAVE ZERO TO SHOW FOR IT. LOL. THANK GOD OLE MATTIE ICE IS A CHOKER. LOL.

YOU MAY PUT UNPROVEN PLAYERS OUT THERE AND GIVE THEM A SHOT BUT WHEN THE PRODUCTION DOESNT MATCH THE INVOLVEMENT ITS TIME TO PULL THE PLUG.

IF A PLAYER GOES COLD IT'S TIME TO GET HIM OUT. WE NEVER DO THOUGH. LMAO

YOURE JUST FULL OF EXCUSES. IF JARWIN WAS A STUD WE WOULDA SAW FLASHES FROM THIS UNDRAFTED PLAYER. NOT JUST AGAINST THE GIANTS. LOL

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We use 2 starting tes. You can call Jarwin the backup but he was a starter.

Our offense would have been great for years had we used dual slot wrs and rbs but yall think emulating a Gronk Hernandez style passing attack with guys like Escobar, hanna and all the other scrub tes is SERVICEABLE

BUT 10 YEARS LATER WE HAVE ZERO TO SHOW FOR IT. LOL. THANK GOD OLE MATTIE ICE IS A CHOKER. LOL.

YOU MAY PUT UNPROVEN PLAYERS OUT THERE AND GIVE THEM A SHOT BUT WHEN THE PRODUCTION DOESNT MATCH THE INVOLVEMENT ITS TIME TO PULL THE PLUG.

IF A PLAYER GOES COLD IT'S TIME TO GET HIM OUT. WE NEVER DO THOUGH. LMAO

YOURE JUST FULL OF EXCUSES. IF JARWIN WAS A STUD WE WOULDA SAW FLASHES FROM THIS UNDRAFTED PLAYER. NOT JUST AGAINST THE GIANTS. LOL
Jarwin played something like 32% of the snaps - I don't know that anyone would consider that starting.

Escobar has nothing to do with Jarwin, so quit grasping at straws to fabricate an argument.

As for having nothing to show for it 10 years later, that applies to every position on the team, whether replacements were proven players or next man up players, so that is also a bogus argument.

By the way, I find it funny that you previously degraded the efforts of the Houston Oilers to try and win without a TE, and here you are talking about not using a TE in favor of dual slot receivers. You are contradicting yourself.

And, by the way, you are going back to the silly, all caps displays of drama and emotion. As I said before, if you want to have a reasonable discussion, you need to carry yourself accordingly rather than act like an emotional teenager.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind trading for O.J., depending on what we have to give up. He’s a great athlete and could be very productive if used correctly.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One thing I think is funny is you use a player that died in prison. The other thing that's funny, not ha ha funny, is for most of the season the Cowboys had the #1 offense and did it without having a Gronk type TE.

They did it because they put up a lot of yards on teams like Washington, NYG, and Miami.

Dallas stats may have looked good but the offense was not that good last year if you watch the games and take your nose out of the stat book.

We could hardly move the ball or score on good teams.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They did it because they put up a lot of yards on teams like Washington, NYG, and Miami.

Dallas stats may have looked good but the offense was not that good last year if you watch the games and take your nose out of the stat book.

To be fair, they also put up a lot of yards against teams like the Packers, Vikings and Bills. The yardage stats were big in far and away most games. The scoring was really the more spotty stat

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Yet even with the play you described the Cowboys still ended up with the number TWO offense. I also notice that you didn't place ANY blame on the defense for those loses, but when people like you that want to blame Prescott for every loss don't look at the defense at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yet even with the play you described the Cowboys still ended up with the number TWO offense. I also notice that you didn't place ANY blame on the defense for those loses, but when people like you that want to blame Prescott for every loss don't look at the defense at all.

It’s hard to blame defense when your taking Ls because the offense can’t score.

What game was the defenses faults?

I’ll put Pats, Jets, Saints, and Eagles on offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That #1 offense couldnt score against any good teams. Got shutout often and lost 8 games. Plus they had the worst red zone offense in the league. Why is that? How are you a top offense?

Jarwiin and schultz will be out there on 25% of passing plays and Jarwin 100%. I guess if he gets hurt that will be schultz and another nobody. Lol.

Jarwin will break down playing that everydown role. Just like swaim.

Witten is the most overhyped te in NFL History. He never did squat against any great teams as a receiver. He was the reception leader for rinky dink passes but the worst red zone. and scoring te that will make it to the Hof. He held the team back on critical and long distance passing downs because he only drew containment coverage. Yeah he played every game and had a long career but who gets hurt catching flat footed passes short of the sticks and falling down.

Ill take Gronk and Hernandez over Jarwin and Schultz.

When we go 8-8 again this year cuz these tes cant score but 3-4 tds against the scrub giants and they wont use dual slot wrs and rbs ill get the last laugh just like i have for the 6+ years i been complaining about the sorry 12 and 11 personnel passing attack.

Jarwin and Schultz is still 2 less skilled players the defense has to cover on passing downs. Lol. Change that and we might win 1 more playoff game in the next decade.

Oj howard isnt the messiah but hes a better receiver than schultz. Id personally rather have a skilled player that can score to carry the scoring avgs for the team. Make more sense than catching a bunch of irrelevant receptions that win ya no games
bench this tool for the Witten comment in nfl history??!!..seriously you are a tool...he may nit have been one of these new fancy hybrid TEs from basketball backgrounds but hes well respected and deserves all the accolades he gets..period hes a throwback old school chain moving sure handed TE that in his hay day blocked like a HOF TE should..stop comparing him to hybrids of today..he stacks up great to the other old school true TE types in the HOF..

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Jarwin played something like 32% of the snaps - I don't know that anyone would consider that starting.

Escobar has nothing to do with Jarwin, so quit grasping at straws to fabricate an argument.

As for having nothing to show for it 10 years later, that applies to every position on the team, whether replacements were proven players or next man up players, so that is also a bogus argument.

By the way, I find it funny that you previously degraded the efforts of the Houston Oilers to try and win without a TE, and here you are talking about not using a TE in favor of dual slot receivers. You are contradicting yourself.

And, by the way, you are going back to the silly, all caps displays of drama and emotion. As I said before, if you want to have a reasonable discussion, you need to carry yourself accordingly rather than act like an emotional teenager.

The Houston oilers had a very successful scheme that went to the playoff for years using no tes at all. Lol.

Nobody is insenuating that the Cowboys should run a full time one dimensional scheme like the Oilers run n shoot but on key passing downs they should use more dual slot wrs or dual rbs formations instead of a bunch of one dimensional blocking Tes that have no potency as receivers.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
They gave him that 5th year option so I don't think they will trade OJ.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Howard only had three more catches than Jarwin last season and two fewer TDs. Not very productive considering he played with a QB who passed for over 5000 yards last season. Howard has never had more than 34 catches. I wouldn’t waste a draft pick on him.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Howard only had three more catches than Jarwin last season and two fewer TDs. Not very productive considering he played with a QB who passed for over 5000 yards last season. Howard has never had more than 34 catches. I wouldn’t waste a draft pick on him.

Thats still better than Schultz who will get plenty of opportunities if this scheme doesnt change (usually 25%). When they march out there in that dual te passing formation with Jarwin and schultz and go 8-8 cuz nobody can score in the red zone peeps will be changing their tune about our dual te passing attack.

As long as 2 tes of this caliber are dominating passing snaps this offense cant score. We got 5k yards and we were the Worst red zone offense in the League. We have a full roster full of unproven tes and fbs.

Jerry doesnt pay a te to score he pays them to play every snap and block!! Lol. Then when we cant score or Win its everybody elses fault except these skilled players who are getting all of the snaps.

If Jarwin gets hurt on the first play I guess Shultz is the next everysnap te that will take us to the Superbowl. Lol.

Id rather just go run n shoot now!!!! Save the embarrassment.

Hopefully the new coach will change the losing scheme built for 2 stud tes. Were all tired of watching them block. We need that 50/50 baller who can go up and get a ball. Id take the old 88 in the red zone over anybody on this roster. At least he can jump and catch a ball in the air and score.

If Dak cant float it up to the alpha dog I betcha AD can!

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

The Tes are hardwired into our scheme. They cant play outside cuz they only have 2 routes so they occupy the slot and the only substitution is w the #2 te. So guys like Beasely have to get all their production trying to be the hero on every known passing play. He made alot of game changing plays for a spot player. Im glad we didnt just draft another limited slot wr since amari and gallop can rotate and play in the slot.

But he made plays that won games which is never gonna happen w a te on this roster. When Dez get hurt witten caught a bunch of balls but he still couldnt score or win anything.

I guess if our wrs can block but cant score thats ok too? Lmao.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Tes are hardwired into our scheme. They cant play outside cuz they only have 2 routes so they occupy the slot and the only substitution is w the #2 te. So guys like Beasely have to get all their production trying to be the hero on every known passing play. He made alot of game changing plays for a spot player. Im glad we didnt just draft another limited slot wr since amari and gallop can rotate and play in the slot.

But he made plays that won games which is never gonna happen w a te on this roster
First of all, Cowboy TE's don't just have 2 routes, and for you to say they do is a nonsensical. Second, the TE's don't just occupy the slot, they also set up in line just offsetting the OT. Third, it's not an insult that they don't line up split out wider than the slot - few TEs do. Fourth, we have a new coach and new scheme, so it doesn't make sense to talk about what the TEs are "hardwired into" in the scheme. Finally, all Beasley, or Cobb or any slot receiver have to try and do is the same thing asked of the wideouts and TE's that run pass patterns - run a good, precise pattern, find holes, catch the ball and run after catching the ball. I have no idea how you call that having to be "the hero on every known passing play".

One thing I've never noticed in any of your discussion on this is that you have any comprehension that the role of a TE is anything other than just as another WR, except bigger. It seems you have no idea that he has different responsibilities and blocking assignments - sometimes pass protection or in line run blocking. Your entire posting on this seems to be based on some video game concept of a run and shoot offense.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
First of all, Cowboy TE's don't just have 2 routes, and for you to say they do is a nonsensical. Second, the TE's don't just occupy the slot, they also set up in line just offsetting the OT. Third, it's not 9i8o9998i889i8ian insult that they don't line up split out wider than the slot - few TEs do. Fourth, we have a new coach and new scheme, so it doesn't make sense to talk about what the TEs are "hardwired into" in the scheme. Finally, all Beasley, or Cobb or any slot receiver have to try and do is the same thing asked of the wideouts and TE's that run pass patterns - run a good, precise pattern, find holes, catch the ball and run after catching the ball. I have no idea how you call that having to be "the hero on every known passing play".

One thing I've never noticed in any of your discussion on this is that you have any comprehension that the role of a TE is anything other than just as another WR, except bigger. It seems you have no idea that he has different responsibilities and blocking assignments - sometimes pass protection or in line run blocking. Your entire posting on this seems to be based on some video game concept of a run and shoot offense.

All those tes were in the huddle and ran routes. Just like the rest of the receivers and skilled players for 10 years under carrott top. They caught game losing passes short of the sticks a bunch of times or simply couldnt get open. I watched the games and I dont remember not 1 game winning reception by a Dallas Cowboy te in 10 years. Hanna started for 2-3 years and had how many career tds? Escobar, swaim, phillips, Bennett, schultz, Gathers? Along with #82 arent these our tes?

Ok. Were talking about passing downs and offensive production and youre talking about run blocking and pass protection but if you go back and watch the film they were out there running routes. They just couldnt make a play bro. We saw 10 years of no game winning plays being made by our entire te core.

Nobody is questioning the skillsets of these tes. Yeah they are old school. But this is a passing era and the slot wrs and receiving rbs and receiving tes have evolved and these one dimensional checkdown tes have been dissolved on passing downs to add more firepower.

Who leaves a player like swaim out there on 3rd and 24? He is the WORST RECEIVER IN THE NFL AND THE WORST ON THE TEAM!!! Why does he get to anchor down the slot when every wr and rb on the team is simply a better receiver?

We know the skillsets of a te. But those skillsets do not warrant playing any passing snaps on a regular basis much less all of them because they are not good receivers.

How did having these tes play every passing snap last year add to our red zone stats considering they were the featured receiver in the red zone? Ha ha.

I realize that ya cant have a steak at every position but you can sure substitute and run some dual rb and dual slot wrs formations if thats all ya got at te is a SCRUB RECEIVER WHO CANT BEAT A GOOD DEFENDER

You can talk about #82s talent but as a receiver he CAME UP SHORT WHEN IT MATTERED OVER THE PAST 6+ YEARS. Tes are not usually the top receivers on a team! Thats usually why you dont use them to play every passing snap.

Last edited: