Trade for O.J. Howard?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
That Oilers team was always fun to watch. But they had like all good WRs.

You can still have a 3 WR set with a TE. You'd just be in single set back. The idea behind a TE for the Cowboys is to get a favorable matchup. With Gallup, Cooper, and Lamb out there you have to believe our TE would draw a LB on many occasions. But if they're not good enough to take advantage of this then I'd have to agree with you.

The idea of it is good and priciple is good but the players arent always good for every situation. I understand you cant have a steak at every position but you just arent gonna win any mile races with a bunch of quarterhorses either. Lol. Thats my point.
I think the Qb made those wrs better than they were. Moon was as good a pure passer as just about any qb who played the game.

They just couldnt overcome the streaks and law of avgs. They run zeke like hes gonna score 3 tds a game but he avgs getting 1 every 2 games on avg. Lol.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That #1 offense couldnt score against any good teams. Got shutout often and lost 8 games. Plus they had the worst red zone offense in the league. Why is that? How are you a top offense?

Jarwiin and schultz will be out there on 25% of passing plays and Jarwin 100%. I guess if he gets hurt that will be schultz and another nobody. Lol.

Jarwin will break down playing that everydown role. Just like swaim.

Witten is the most overhyped te in NFL History. He never did squat against any great teams as a receiver. He was the reception leader for rinky dink passes but the worst red zone. and scoring te that will make it to the Hof. He held the team back on critical and long distance passing downs because he only drew containment coverage. Yeah he played every game and had a long career but who gets hurt catching flat footed passes short of the sticks and falling down.

Ill take Gronk and Hernandez over Jarwin and Schultz.

When we go 8-8 again this year cuz these tes cant score but 3-4 tds against the scrub giants and they wont use dual slot wrs and rbs ill get the last laugh just like i have for the 6+ years i been complaining about the sorry 12 and 11 personnel passing attack.

Jarwin and Schultz is still 2 less skilled players the defense has to cover on passing downs. Lol. Change that and we might win 1 more playoff game in the next decade.

Oj howard isnt the messiah but hes a better receiver than schultz. Id personally rather have a skilled player that can score to carry the scoring avgs for the team. Make more sense than catching a bunch of irrelevant receptions that win ya no games
this has been typical of Garrett offenses for years...good until we hit the redzone, and then its all on the players to create. I can't count the number of time Romo saved his arse in the redzone.

Flamma

Reaction score
The idea of it is good and priciple is good but the players arent always good for every situation. I understand you cant have a steak at every position but you just arent gonna win any mile races with a bunch of quarterhorses either

To be honest, our OC or coaching staff in general has to use their players in a way to give us the best chance to succeed. Take full advantage of the strength of your personnel, whatever that may be. We'll have to see just how far Jarwin has come along.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
this has been typical of Garrett offenses for years...good until we hit the redzone, and then its all on the players to create. I can't count the number of time Romo saved his arse in the redzone.
Romo and 82 couldnt win nothing either until Dez came along. He had no big scoring threats. Scoring averages per player matters.

If michael gallop avgs 4 tds in his first 4 years its unlikely hes gonna morph into a 16 td a year guy. Cooper is a 7-8 td a year guy. He won't have 16 like Dez ever because hes not that guy. Hes doesnt have the jump ball skills so hes not a dominant red zone wr either and pair that up w 2 tes that arent either.

When did we ever have a te that could dominate in the red zone? Much less a second te? Lol.

Those skilled blocking and checkdown tes dont win ya games much less Superbowls.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have 6 skilled players your scheming around on any given down. You want the 6 best scorers for that down and distance as much as possible. .

If its 2 tes or 5 wrs it makes no difference. I dont believe in the everydown te position nor do I believe in the next man up crap.

If you have 5 jerry rices you go five wide sometimes. You dont throw 2 scrub tes in there on 3rd and 24 for the sake of playing everydown. Thats ignorant. Thats the Cowboys losing scheme.

And if our te scoring rate is 2 tds a year each on avg 2 +2=4 tds and it never changes for 6+ years thats prolly why you havent won any playoff games. He he he Your 2 main cogs (skilled positions) in the passing scheme have 4 tds every year and play every single passing snap and thats ok????

If your fg kicker misses 10 fgs in the first 3 games you dont let him play for the season. Lol. If your number 1 wr doesnt score for 8 games you have problems.

Do you want to build an Every passing down te scheme around a Stud that has 10-15 tds and 15 yard averages a year or That 2 Td TE that cant win BEANS????????

You substitute in every single case. And you dont have a winner FOR THAT DOWN AND DISTANCE ya get ONE!!!!

Our tes have sucked for a decade playing every snap. Its a sorry scheme. Position never overrides skills or skillsets. If its a hail mary you pull those checkdown tes and fbs out
So how come we leave our te out there on every passing play when its apparent statistically that they arent a WINNING FORMULA????? ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY CANT COMPETE AGAINST TOP DEFENDERS???? IF THEY COULD THEY WOULD HAVE 8 TDS BRO NOT 2 AGAINST THE GIANTS

WHY DOES THE TE SUPPOSED TO PLAY EVERY SINGLE DOWN AND NOT THE OTHER 5 SKILLED PLAYERS?

FOOTBALL IS SITUATIONAL. NOT SET IN STONE BY PLAYERS AND POSITIONS.

WHY DONT WE USE A FB ON 3RD AND 24 THAT HAS NEVER CONVERTED ONE UP IN A CAREER?

BENCH THESE TES ON 3RD DOWN AND GET A WR OR A RB WHO CAN BEAT SOMEBODY

THESE TES SUCK AND ARE ONE LESS PLAYER THE D HAS TO COVER IN LONG YARDAGE AND SCORING SITUATIONS AND THEY ARE THE VANILLA IN OUR OFFENSE AND WE WONT WIN BEANS UNTIL WE GET ONE.
So, you don't believe in the next man up crap … so Dak sucks anyway and all hope was already lost when he had to step up? And Collins never should have been given the RT job, and no rookie should ever play, and we should just give up hope if anyone ever gets injured and a backup has to step in. ell, Edleman played a backup role for 3-4 years, so he sucks now, right? The idea is just give up every time a player has to be replaced, is that it? lol - damn, you do have the mentality of a loser with no comprehension of the competitive spirit!

By the way, the capital letters are juvenile. If you ever get to a point you can discuss logically and rationally without the silly little drama and emotion, let me know.

Flamma

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather we stay away from trading for players that need to be paid tomorrow. It's not always a bad idea but it shouldn't be a habit. The player knows you traded for them. You gave up something for them. They now think they are the best thing since toilet paper was invented. They will expect to be compensated accordingly.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
So, you don't believe in the next man up crap … so Dak sucks anyway and all hope was already lost when he had to step up? And Collins never should have been given the RT job, and no rookie should ever play, and we should just give up hope if anyone ever gets injured and a backup has to step in. ell, Edleman played a backup role for 3-4 years, so he sucks now, right? The idea is just give up every time a player has to be replaced, is that it? lol - damn, you do have the mentality of a loser with no comprehension of the competitive spirit!

By the way, the capital letters are juvenile. If you ever get to a point you can discuss logically and rationally without the silly little drama and emotion, let me know.

Theres no Job thats given to ya. Lol. Your given assignments based upon skillsets. If you dont have the skillsets as a mechanic that doesnt mean ya cant be the best at changing oil or runng the cash register. Lol

Football is situational. When your te plays 100 red zone snaps and has no scoring ability its not a knock on him if he can move tbe chains.

But he still has no business being out there if he doesnt have the skillsets. If its 3rd and 24 and he is a checkdowner that comes up empty everytime he should still be benched for that down and distance regardless if he is the best at his position overall

If hes not the player for the situation tell him to go have a seat

Nothing is given. Its all situational every single down

Its exactly that reason why we never win beans.

If your fg kicker makes everything from 50 but cant kick the ball 65 yards whats the point of having him try? Do you fire him or do ya substitute or just go for it coach?

Your theory is to kick it???? Well its just gonna fall short just like this team does.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
To be honest, our OC or coaching staff in general has to use their players in a way to give us the best chance to succeed. Take full advantage of the strength of your personnel, whatever that may be. We'll have to see just how far Jarwin has come along.

8 games straight without a td is where he left off. Lol.

Thats better than Swaim though but not by far

Ill bet you 1,000,000 bucks againt 100k he doesnt get a playoff td this year. Wanna bet?

Heck id take that bet for 10k

If you wouldnt take that bet ya need to go get another te.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
8 games straight without a td is where he left off. Lol.

Thats better than Swaim though but not by far

Ill bet you 1,000,000 bucks againt 100k he doesnt get a playoff td this year. Wanna bet?

Well, we'd have to make the playoffs first. Then get back to me.

Even though I could handle the 100k, I'm not so sure why I'd want a million large forest creatures. :huh: What would I do with them? Where would I put them?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Well, we'd have to make the playoffs first. Then get back to me.

Even though I could handle the 100k, I'm not so sure why I'd want a million large forest creatures. :huh: What would I do with them? Where would I put them?

Ha ha true dat.

But ya know that hope and a quarter will get ya only a phone call. Just like it did w swaim

Theres not gonna be no playoffs w these tes playing like they have for 10 years. Good d's will shut that down. Mark my word!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
we often focused on execution of plays called (at times seemingly random) regardless of team, defensive scheme or our personnel. we always tried to force the issue, the problem was we didn't have the team of the 90's that could just exert their will on the opposing teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
we often focused on execution of plays called (at times seemingly random) regardless of team, defensive scheme or our personnel. we always tried to force the issue, the problem was we didn't have the team of the 90's that could just exert their will on the opposing teams.

Yeah tell me about it. Look at the 70s, early 80s Cowboys. They were pretty good on offense without a lot of hall of famers. I know the D played a big role in winning, but the offense moved the ball pretty well. We weren't the Steelers with hall of famers at every skilled position and held our own anyway. Coaching and out maneuvering the opposing coach is a huge factor at the highest level.

vnick

Reaction score
I am in favor of adding to the TE competition. The Bears will be cutting a few TE. They have like 20. There are guys like Howard that might be available via trade, but we don't have to move on it right now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Theres no Job thats given to ya. Lol. Your given assignments based upon skillsets. If you dont have the skillsets as a mechanic that doesnt mean ya cant be the best at changing oil or runng the cash register. Lol

Football is situational. When your te plays 100 red zone snaps and has no scoring ability its not a knock on him if he can move tbe chains.

But he still has no business being out there if he doesnt have the skillsets. If its 3rd and 24 and he is a checkdowner that comes up empty everytime he should still be benched for that down and distance regardless if he is the best at his position overall

If hes not the player for the situation tell him to go have a seat

Nothing is given. Its all situational every single down

Its exactly that reason why we never win beans.

If your fg kicker makes everything from 50 but cant kick the ball 65 yards whats the point of having him try? Do you fire him or do ya substitute or just go for it coach?

Your theory is to kick it???? Well its just gonna fall short just like this team does.

Next man up doesn't mean jobs are given to you - it means the team feels you earned the chance. Every team loses players every year, and no team gets a nice shiny proven to be a top tier player to fill the role every time that happens. There always have to be players that step up for every team in the NFL, or at any other level for that matter.

As for Jarwin's skillset, a lot of people disagree with you, and at the very least if you look at what he has done with his limited opportunities, his skill set as a receiver actually seems to be pretty impressive. What we don't know is how that will translate into a bigger role, but football teams have to make those kinds of decisions about players all the time. That's not unique to the Cowboys.

If you want to pretend to be reasonable, you need to at least recognize that your opinion is just that, an opinion, and not necessarily worth more than that of a fan with a different opinion, and certainly not worth more than the team that has had experience directly working with the player. That doesn't mean you are wrong, because teams can make mistakes, but only time will tell that.

Until then, taking the extreme position that Jarwin can add no value at all has to be taken as the extreme that it is. Reason and logic tell us that few things are at the extremes of the spectrum, and history tells us that those who only see extremes are usually not reasonable or logical.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Next man up doesn't mean jobs are given to you - it means the team feels you earned the chance. Every team loses players every year, and no team gets a nice shiny proven to be a top tier player to fill the role every time that happens. There always have to be players that step up for every team in the NFL, or at any other level for that matter.

As for Jarwin's skillset, a lot of people disagree with you, and at the very least if you look at what he has done with his limited opportunities, his skill set as a receiver actually seems to be pretty impressive. What we don't know is how that will translate into a bigger role, but football teams have to make those kinds of decisions about players all the time. That's not unique to the Cowboys.

If you want to pretend to be reasonable, you need to at least recognize that your opinion is just that, an opinion, and not necessarily worth more than that of a fan with a different opinion, and certainly not worth more than the team that has had experience directly working with the player. That doesn't mean you are wrong, because teams can make mistakes, but only time will tell that.

Until then, taking the extreme position that Jarwin can add no value at all has to be taken as the extreme that it is. Reason and logic tell us that few things are at the extremes of the spectrum, and history tells us that those who only see extremes are usually not reasonable or logical.

I heard all this about swaim too. How he is A serviceable te. How did that one 2 yard td taste all year? Lol.

I heard how Witten could move the chains and pick up some of that lost production from losing Beasely. I didnt agree and #82 never lets me down. He also didnt make those 2-3 gamechanging plays that Beasely did.

Maybe Jarwin will break out and be the next stud te. I saw some more juice but I still didnt see any go up and get a Ball. Its been years and years of nothing but hype and hope. I wanted Jared Cook last year.

I hope this coaching staff changes our stupid scheme and plays situational football. The set it and forget it defined position roles never get us anywhere.

It doesnt take a whole season to find out just about 4 games. At least try some dual rb and dual slot wr formations for Goodness Sakes

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Hernandez was a pretty darn good TE before the walls caved in.

Hernandez alone put up more tds each season than our entire te core. He was a beast in the red zone. Weve been 'hoping" for that guy for almost 10 years.

Weve had opportunities to get great tes in FA for 10 yrs. Even martellus was better but he couldnt get around the dead weight everydown te position that was predestined on every snap

Last edited: