Trade Lawrence for a second round pick

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Until every media outlet, sports and news, starts saying this because this would be extremely huge news, then I will still believe Jerry is still the owner, president and GM and not just as a figure head. If this were to be true EVERY sporting news, website and every regular news outlet would all be running this huge news, it wouldn't just be some single writer which is probably making assumptions based on their personal feelings for Jones.
What you don't believe someone else can be the first one to realize it. I thought you had a more open mind than that

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Until every media outlet, sports and news, starts saying this because this would be extremely huge news, then I will still believe Jerry is still the owner, president and GM and not just as a figure head. If this were to be true EVERY sporting news, website and every regular news outlet would all be running this huge news, it wouldn't just be some single writer which is probably making assumptions based on their personal feelings for Jones.
If you have been paying attention there's a little hints of it more and more. Yeah like Jerry is going to admit he relinquished any Authority whatsoever. Come on

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What you don't believe someone else can be the first one to realize it. I thought you had a more open mind than that

Like I said if Jerry was just a figure head that lone first one to report he is and if it was true EVERY sports and news outlet would be jumping all over that. There's a difference between believing something creditable and believing what a single person says with huge news and every other sports and news outlets haven't said a peep about it. I honestly believe that there will be a day when Jerry finally says that he is going to make Stephen president and then Stephen can decide if he is going to hire a real GM AND when that day goes Jerry will make a big announce about it and it won't be some lone person guessing about it. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I would approach the Colts and ask them about Lawrence.

Maybe Damarcus Lawerance, Anthony Brown, Taco Charlton and pick 136 in the 4th round
To the Colts for
Picks 34, 59 and 89

Try and trade
58 and 59 to lets say the Chiefs for pick 29

Draft
29 grab Abrams or Rapp for the Safety spot
34 Polite to try and help replace Tank
89 Riley Ridley WR
90 Isaiah Johnson CB
128 Justin Hollins LB
5th Elijah Holyfield RB

I think it would be a great success if we could pull that off

But who knows. You guys gotta remember the longer tank waits for the surgery the more games he will----- WILL be missing

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be disappointing I would have traded him last year. I live in New England 25 minutes from Gillette Stadium I Have Been a Cowboy fan since Rodger Staubach in the military. But I truly believe in the Belichick Theory. Release the player before they even though it's going to happen. Actually trade them get full value
Hard to argue the Patriot Way when they are always winning. But then again, Jerry doesn't care about winning he cares HOW he wins (His way of course). Firing Jimmy proved that.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's also very common for teams if they have a premier player to work out a deal even if they have to let another player that isn't their best player on his unit walk and worry about replacing the player they let walk and keeping the premier player. Teams never get anywhere if they keep letting the best players walk come contract time. They'll be in a permanent rebuilding stage.

There is a point where no matter how good he is his cap hit overwhelms his value to the team

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Like I said if Jerry was just a figure head that lone first one to report he is and if it was true EVERY sports and news outlet would be jumping all over that. There's a difference between believing something creditable and believing what a single person says with huge news and every other sports and news outlets haven't said a peep about it. I honestly believe that there will be a day when Jerry finally says that he is going to make Stephen president and then Stephen can decide if he is going to hire a real GM AND when that day goes Jerry will make a big announce about it and it won't be some lone person guessing about it. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this.
There's many many more people than just me saying it. You just haven't heard it yet

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hard to argue the Patriot Way when they are always winning. But then again, Jerry doesn't care about winning he cares HOW he wins (His way of course). Firing Jimmy proved that.
I don't recall Jimmy being fired. I thought they just they'd just both walked away from each other. But I understand your point

CWR

Reaction score
Im jonesen for a Tank update...yall got nothin????.smh the offseason sucks.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There is a point where no matter how good he is his cap hit overwhelms his value to the team

I guess the Cowboys decided that Lawrence's new contract didn't overwhelm their cap now did they?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There's many many more people than just me saying it. You just haven't heard it yet

Whirlwin like I've said several times now that would be huge news if true and EVERY sports and news outlet would be all over that. Speculation by a lone sportswriter to get clicks on his article or fans for whatever reason really doesn't count as reporting this. If true, everyone would be reporting this.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whirlwin like I've said several times now that would be huge news if true and EVERY sports and news outlet would be all over that. Speculation by a lone sportswriter to get clicks on his article or fans for whatever reason really doesn't count as reporting this. If true, everyone would be reporting this.
Stephen is the acting GM.

For a guy with a big ego like Jerry, the only people he brags on more than himself are his kids/grandkids. It makes sense that his son is the only person Jerry was going to empower as the acting GM.

Stephen's title is CEO and Executive Vice President/Director of Player Personnel.

Jerry's other kids run the stadium business, marketing, cheerleaders, etc. Only Stephen is involved in the football operations.

S.Jones morphed onto being the acting GM with no specific date on when it really happened.

There have been multiple issues where Stephen and Jerry expressed different preferences/opinions to the media (both do weekly radio interviews during the season). Stephen appears to have gotten his way on all of those differing preferences the past few years. The last time Jerry appears to have over-ruled him was when they caved in and gave Dez the big contract. Stephen wanted to play hardball and probably would forced Dez to play on the Franchise Tag or taken way less guaranteed money in the contract.

When they ended up cutting Dez last year, Jerry expressed that he preferred to keep him. Garrett also appeared to want to keep Dez. Cutting Dez was a decision by S.Jones. It was a clear indication that he is the acting GM and that Jerry is not over-ruling him.

In the draft Stephen and McClay run the show. Garrett has input and they get input from the coach or coaches specific to the position of the player(s) being drafted.

Jerry would have drafted Manziel and would have traded up for Paxton Lynch if Stephen was not the acting GM. Jerry said that himself.

Jerry is the tie breaker on decisions (i.e. see Frederick instead of Floyd).

Jerry appears to be more involved if it's a player with character issues. Jerry's statement when deciding to draft Randy Gregory "It's on me if he fails" meaning Jerry won't hold it against employees if Gregory fails.

After Jimmy and before Parcells Jerry's top talent evaluator was Larry Lacewell. Jerry and Lacewell were drinking buddies. Lacewell was a disaster and most of his decisions appear to have been made while he was boozing it up with Jerry.

Parcells fired Lacewell AND scout Bryan Broaddus.

When Parcells departed the top talent evaluator was Tom Ciskowski. As just a talent evaluator Ciskowski was very knowledgable; however, he didn't have the personality to be in charge or to make high pressure decisions. He had no ability to steer Jerry away from seat of the pants decisions. He also had minimal communications with the coaching staff to get their input on building the draft board.

Ciskowski's influence started to decline after the 2009 draft. The 2013 draft when they had the DT Floyd highly rated but Marinelli stepped in and said he does not fit the scheme was the final straw. After that Will McClay became the top talent evaluator and Stephen/Garrett appeared to be the ones that pushed for McClay's promotion. I did not write this this from another Cowboy brother but this is the best explanation yet. And exactly like you said it would be news if Jerry had made a decision. So what have we heard that Jerry has done in the last 3 Seasons. Nothing. So step up into the new world. LOL

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So every single Sports Outlet has not reported anything that Jerry has done. That's proof in itself

Doomsday101

Reaction score

For a guy with a big ego like Jerry, the only people he brags on more than himself are his kids/grandkids. It makes sense that his son is the only person Jerry was going to empower as the acting GM.

Stephen's title is CEO and Executive Vice President/Director of Player Personnel.

Jerry's other kids run the stadium business, marketing, cheerleaders, etc. Only Stephen is involved in the football operations.

S.Jones morphed onto being the acting GM with no specific date on when it really happened.

There have been multiple issues where Stephen and Jerry expressed different preferences/opinions to the media (both do weekly radio interviews during the season). Stephen appears to have gotten his way on all of those differing preferences the past few years. The last time Jerry appears to have over-ruled him was when they caved in and gave Dez the big contract. Stephen wanted to play hardball and probably would forced Dez to play on the Franchise Tag or taken way less guaranteed money in the contract.

When they ended up cutting Dez last year, Jerry expressed that he preferred to keep him. Garrett also appeared to want to keep Dez. Cutting Dez was a decision by S.Jones. It was a clear indication that he is the acting GM and that Jerry is not over-ruling him.

In the draft Stephen and McClay run the show. Garrett has input and they get input from the coach or coaches specific to the position of the player(s) being drafted.

Jerry would have drafted Manziel and would have traded up for Paxton Lynch if Stephen was not the acting GM. Jerry said that himself.

Jerry appears to be more involved if it's a player with character issues. Jerry's statement when deciding to draft Randy Gregory "It's on me if he fails" meaning Jerry won't hold it against employees if Gregory fails.

After Jimmy and before Parcells Jerry's top talent evaluator was Larry Lacewell. Jerry and Lacewell were drinking buddies. Lacewell was a disaster and most of his decisions appear to have been made while he was boozing it up with Jerry.

When Parcells departed the top talent evaluator was Tom Ciskowski. As just a talent evaluator Ciskowski was very knowledgable; however, he didn't have the personality to be in charge or to make high pressure decisions. He had no ability to steer Jerry away from seat of the pants decisions. He also had minimal communications with the coaching staff to get their input on building the draft board.

Ciskowski's influence started to decline after the 2009 draft. The 2013 draft when they had the DT Floyd highly rated but Marinelli stepped in and said he does not fit the scheme was the final straw. After that Will McClay became the top talent evaluator and Stephen/Garrett appeared to be the ones that pushed for McClay's promotion. I did not write this this from another Cowboy brother but this is the best explanation yet. And exactly like you said it would be news if Jerry had made a decision. So what have we heard that Jerry has done in the last 3 Seasons. Nothing. So step up into the new world. LOL

Jimmy is the one who hired Larry Lacewell and when Jimmy left and Lacewell did not go to Miami with him, Jimmy was pissed and pretty much ended their friendship.

he first real college coaching job for Miami Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson came with Larry Lacewell's help. He needed guidance in 1984 about whether to take the University of Miami job and sought Lacewell's advice.

Johnson was the best man at Lacewell's wedding. He hired Lacewell to run the scouting and personnel department when he took over as coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
When Lacewell stayed at Dallas after Johnson split with owner Jerry Jones in 1994, however, the former confidant crossed the line. It's a measure of how much leaving Dallas cut to the core that Johnson can summarize a 30-year relationship in two sentences.

"Larry and I worked together back many years ago," Johnson said. "But I haven't had any contact with him since I left Dallas."

BP was here with Ireland and both were involved in talent acquired not BP alone.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Whirlwin I've said before that I agree that Stephen has taken over most of the contract negotiating and that Jerry has asked for and taken advise on things much more than what he did when he first bought the team, but to jump, no take that huge leap, that Jerry is now just a figure head is just foolishness. If what you say is remotely true former players that have left the team would be talking about it and none have. Now Jerry has had his bad decisions on players drafted or not drafted and resigning this player or not resigning that player but again if what you say is true more than just one lone sportswriter would have been writing about this. Also if what you say is true why is it the media surrounds Jerry trying to get questions answered? Why wouldn't they just let Jerry walk by and wait for Stephen? Also it really wasn't like you to say that Lacewell was boozing it up while making draft picks. We both know that's not true no matter how bad we may think some of those picks turned out.

Angus12

Reaction score
You have to take into consideration who you're talking to, here. This is the same guy that told me a while back that the Colts had already offered a first for Lawrence. Now I see he's upped his game by adding the Packers to that "story". When pressed for a link or where it was reported, he admitted it was just some random guy that had told that to him. He likes to pass off stuff he hears as fact. Regardless of where he hears it.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You have to take into consideration who you're talking to, here. This is the same guy that told me a while back that the Colts had already offered a first for Lawrence. Now I see he's upped his game by adding the Packers to that "story". When pressed for a link or where it was reported, he admitted it was just some random guy that had told that to him. He likes to pass off stuff he hears as fact. Regardless of where he hears it.
I never said the Colt often a first for Lawrence. I said someone posted earlier today someone offered a first for Lawrence something's wrong with reading comprehension in this post this new form. I think people a little bit freaking weird

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You're mistaking an opinion for a fact I never said anything was factual. I said I understand someone said this or someone said that. Wow people think you're freaking news reporters or something

Angus12

Reaction score
I never said the Colt often a first for Lawrence. I said someone posted earlier today someone offered a first for Lawrence something's wrong with reading comprehension in this post this new form. I think people a little bit freaking weird
That's EXACTLY what you said. It's right here in this thread. In fact, you said they offered a first AND a third. Then when I asked you for proof, that's when you admitted you had just heard it from some guy. I then said, "So, useless speculation then?" Which you agreed to.

It's all here. Easy to go back and reread, no matter how much you want to deny it.

You're mistaking an opinion for a fact I never said anything was factual. I said I understand someone said this or someone said that. Wow people think you're freaking news reporters or something
And there lies the problem. When you first mentioned the Colts offering a first and third, you presented it as fact. There was no mention of it being just a conversation you had with some random schlub. Just like you did a few posts back when you mentioned the Colts again offering a first round pick. And you included the Packers in your fantasy this time.

Last edited: