Trade Lawrence for a second round pick

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No where in the site rules does it say I can't have a Premier League logo. And I know there's a fat chance of it happening (though, I'd love it if we could move DLaw for a first or high 2nd to move up into round 1). It's just fun ideas to think about on a sports forum.

I was saying the logo tongue and cheek, but to quote what one of the high school football coaches in the metroplex said one time, "those that play soccer play soccer because they're not good enough to play football or are afraid to play football.

Nobody here know for sure, but I highly HIGHLY doubt the Cowboys would or will trade Lawrence. I'm not a GM only a fan. The Cowboys hold all the cards because he can or will either sign his tag or they come to terms on a long term contract. Lawrence is infinitely smarter than Bell last season and knows he will never recoup the money he would lose if he sits out the season and money seems to be the stumbling block.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree. He has insight and he knows everything that happens in this franchise but I also know that it's Steven William McClay and Jason that bring him the knowledge . make no mistake about it he's not making the decisions he no longer has those contacts . It's actually been reported.

If some "insider" claims Jerry is no longer calling most of the shots I wouldn't believe it because as I have said so many times that those insiders have made to many calls that weren't true or turned out differently. Exactly what contacts are you referring to? On the Cowboys all he has to do is command it and as Owner, President and GM everyone else has no choice but do what he says. As far as other teams, It really doesn't matter if he has any history with some new GM or not. He's going to negotiate whatever the same way he's always done it. Now you may, I can't remember, not like Jones and hopes that he just retires, but that doesn't change the fact that he is still owner, president and GM of the Cowboys and when push comes to shove what he says is still the law. Now like I said he seems to ask for and get opinions from Stephen, Garrett and McClay, but when it comes right down to it, it's still Jerry that makes the decisions. Now I believe and have heard and read that Stephen does most of the contract negotiating and has for the past few years, but Jerry still is the boss.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you can get a second and a third for Tank, pull the trigger and get it done.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's already been reported. That the Colts even maybe the Packers were willing to give a first-round didn't we just give a first round for a wide receiver. It happens all the time what are you talkin about

I don't think you either read or understood what I said. When was the last time a team traded their #1 pick and didn't get the team they are trading with their #1 pick? I wasn't talking about trading player(s) for a 1st rnd. That is done all the time. The Cowboys can't do picks for picks because they gave their #1 to the raiders for Cooper so they have no 1st rnd pick so that means they won't be able to move up to the first rnd. I would be totally against that anyways because the Cowboys are not just a single player away from going over the top so with no 1st rnd pick and using multiple picks to move up even just higher in the 2nd round, that is then using those picks the Cowboys could have used to get more help for the several holes or needs they have.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Exactly we just gave our first round pick for Cooper. So what makes you think another team won't give their first round pick for Lawrence. I don't think you thought the entire thing through. Unless you were thinking of some of the scenario and then I'm mistaking and excuse me

Whirlwin this is why I don't think another team will give a 1st for Lawrence. He has a bum shoulder that needs surgery and every GM knows this and I read several articles that said he will need at least 4 months to rehab that shoulder before he will be able to do any contact. Now the Cowboys are going to try until they can't negotiate because of tagging him which is in July. Lawrence has said he won't have the surgery until he gets a long term contract. So if Lawrence has any hopes of another team coming in and offering to trade for him, they're not going to offer a !st rnd knowing that he still has to have that surgery and wouldn't be available until after the season starts. Now I don't think the Cowboys will accept anything less than a 1st for him but by that time it wouldn't be until the 2020 draft if they got it and I don't think they will because of that shoulder. Now I could be all wrong about this, but one former GM said the very same thing. I'm not one but that what I think.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you can get a second and a third for Tank, pull the trigger and get it done.

And who's going to the DE that's as good as Lawrence? The Cowboys would be sending the completely wrong message to the rest of the team if they traded away their best defensive player and then turned around and keep telling the team that they will be contenders even though they just traded away their best defensive player. The other players at least in their minds will be saying oh no, we're in the rebuilding stage again.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
And who's going to the DE that's as good as Lawrence? The Cowboys would be sending the completely wrong message to the rest of the team if they traded away their best defensive player and then turned around and keep telling the team that they will be contenders even though they just traded away their best defensive player. The other players at least in their minds will be saying oh no, we're in the rebuilding stage again.

No they won’t. They’ll see a guy leave who was going to make it difficult for them to stay due to his ridiculous contract demands and him acting like a child.

_sturt_

Reaction score
There is no other conclusion to reach but that he wants to be traded to a team willing to pay him what he wants, for how long he wants, and with the guarantee he wants.

Does that team exist?

Maybe.

Does that team exist that will, not only do that, but will trade us something of value back?

I'm really not sure. But if you get an offer for a 2nd round pick, I'd jump all over that.

Verdict

Reaction score

As a GM you can't have that frame of mind. If you adopt that point of view then the only possible result is resigning Tank and you can't just let him extort you for however much he wants. What if he wants half of the cap?

Under your theory, if the player wants to get paid and you don't have a substitute then you have to pay him what he wants. The reality is that you may have to make a temporary step back from a player if the cap hit is too high to keep that player. That's a fairly common situation in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
As a GM you can't have that frame of mind. If you adopt that point of view then the only possible result is resigning Tank and you can't just let him extort you for however much he wants. What if he wants half of the cap?

Under your theory, if the player wants to get paid and you don't have a substitute then you have to pay him what he wants. The reality is that you may have to make a temporary step back from a player if the cap hit is too high to keep that player. That's a fairly common situation in the NFL.
X 100.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If some "insider" claims Jerry is no longer calling most of the shots I wouldn't believe it because as I have said so many times that those insiders have made to many calls that weren't true or turned out differently. Exactly what contacts are you referring to? On the Cowboys all he has to do is command it and as Owner, President and GM everyone else has no choice but do what he says. As far as other teams, It really doesn't matter if he has any history with some new GM or not. He's going to negotiate whatever the same way he's always done it. Now you may, I can't remember, not like Jones and hopes that he just retires, but that doesn't change the fact that he is still owner, president and GM of the Cowboys and when push comes to shove what he says is still the law. Now like I said he seems to ask for and get opinions from Stephen, Garrett and McClay, but when it comes right down to it, it's still Jerry that makes the decisions. Now I believe and have heard and read that Stephen does most of the contract negotiating and has for the past few years, but Jerry still is the boss.
What's your failing to see is there is a big difference between saying okay 2 a deal and actually putting the structure deal together. Jerry has not made a football decision and over three seasons. Yes he's okayed some of the decisions. But I'm not sure if they would of not bypassed him anyways

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whirlwin this is why I don't think another team will give a 1st for Lawrence. He has a bum shoulder that needs surgery and every GM knows this and I read several articles that said he will need at least 4 months to rehab that shoulder before he will be able to do any contact. Now the Cowboys are going to try until they can't negotiate because of tagging him which is in July. Lawrence has said he won't have the surgery until he gets a long term contract. So if Lawrence has any hopes of another team coming in and offering to trade for him, they're not going to offer a !st rnd knowing that he still has to have that surgery and wouldn't be available until after the season starts. Now I don't think the Cowboys will accept anything less than a 1st for him but by that time it wouldn't be until the 2020 draft if they got it and I don't think they will because of that shoulder. Now I could be all wrong about this, but one former GM said the very same thing. I'm not one but that what I think.
I agree and understand. But it's still just your opinion. This is not a factual statistic that you can come up with like usually. Go Cowboys. I wouldn't give a first round pick for him either. Just putting different scenarios together just like everybody else

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No they won’t. They’ll see a guy leave who was going to make it difficult for them to stay due to his ridiculous contract demands and him acting like a child.

No the players wouldn't think that. In fact it would be just the opposite because 99.99999% of the players want to make more money so they'll seed that Lawrence is raising the bar for defensive players. Also Lawrence is very well like by his team mates so they wouldn't be happy to see him leave not even considering that he's the best player on defense.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

It's also very common for teams if they have a premier player to work out a deal even if they have to let another player that isn't their best player on his unit walk and worry about replacing the player they let walk and keeping the premier player. Teams never get anywhere if they keep letting the best players walk come contract time. They'll be in a permanent rebuilding stage.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

So every player who thinks he's worth more and want to be paid what he thinks he's worth is a being a child? So was Rogers being a child when he got his last contract or Mack or any other player that got what they thought they deserved?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What's your failing to see is there is a big difference between saying okay 2 a deal and actually putting the structure deal together. Jerry has not made a football decision and over three seasons. Yes he's okayed some of the decisions. But I'm not sure if they would of not bypassed him anyways

You can believe that Jerry is just some figure head if you want but there is absolutely nothing other than Stephen doing most of the contract negotiating out there that supports that belief. If what you think is reality, then there would be a zillion articles written proclaiming that and that would be huge news and would even be some articles of that on regular news sites.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can believe that Jerry is just some figure head if you want but there is absolutely nothing other than Stephen doing most of the contract negotiating out there that supports that belief. If what you think is reality, then there would be a zillion articles written proclaiming that and that would be huge news and would even be some articles of that on regular news sites.
William McClain is the difference. He replaced Jerry. Jerry is nothing more than a figurehead make no mistake about that
And furthermore the NFL Network's just started reporting this. Just a matter of time.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
William McClain is the difference. He replaced Jerry. Jerry is nothing more than a figurehead make no mistake about that
And furthermore the NFL Network's just started reporting this. Just a matter of time.

Until every media outlet, sports and news, starts saying this because this would be extremely huge news, then I will still believe Jerry is still the owner, president and GM and not just as a figure head. If this were to be true EVERY sporting news, website and every regular news outlet would all be running this huge news, it wouldn't just be some single writer which is probably making assumptions based on their personal feelings for Jones.