Trade Lawrence for a second round pick

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That sounds great in theory....but you are more likely to end up with a player the caliber of Taco Charlton than you are Demarcus Lawrence. That's the luck of the draft for you.
With William McClay in charge of the draft I think I'll take that chance he's been short of brilliant

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know an independent expert evaluation of his trade value. It's hard to believe Cooper is worth a 1st and D-Law only a 3rd? I consider good defensive lineman to be more valuable than good WR's. The injury issue is the wild card here.

So often, this team has been top heavy- nice talent at the very top of the roster, but no depth.

I have a gut feeling that signing him at all will burn us long term.

Me too. I think they will eventually sign him to a very large contract, and in a few short years will find it was an unwise allocation of resources. They'll probably end up releasing him before he plays out his deal, and end up with a bunch of dead money- once again spending millions on a player who is not on the field.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First the Cowboys hold all the cards with Lawrence. Either he signs his tag or agrees to a long term contract. He's to smart to sit out because he knows he'll never recoup the money he would lose by sitting out and money right now seems to be the big factor. My guess is sometime just before the deadline in July a contract will get done. Last week when an article game out that Lawrence felt disrespected by getting tagged again it has since come out that it was his agent that said that and I think he did that publicly to maybe get other GM's to think that the Cowboys possibly might put him up for a trade. But then, being a fan I'm not a GM either.
I always appreciate your Insight and your statistics backing your opinion up brilliance. But I was only posting an opinion. So I didn't need that dream comment when I was just kicking the can around

aria

Reaction score
You guys think this is a problem, wait for Zeke, Dak, Cooper, Jaylon, and LVE. I think the Cowboys will either overpay for Zeke or he will be the biggest potential problem getting locked down, Dak not so much.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I Don't think you would get a first rounder for him either right now. His best value to trade him would be for next years pick. But now? You're losing value.
There are three defensive tackles in this first round that demand double-teaming already.

rags747

Reaction score
If you are right, then Lawrence and the Cowboys need to work out a deal. No way would I trade him for a 3rd.
No, you trade him to another team for a 2nd rounder this year, the following year the league compensates you most likely a 3rd rounder too.

Reaction score
No, you trade him to another team for a 2nd rounder this year, the following year the league compensates you most likely a 3rd rounder too.
The only time the league gives compensation is when players become free agents and leave your team to sign with somebody else.

If Lawrence is traded, there is no compensation from the league.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
A second rounder? Sheesh.

Let's take our biggest potential asset and get next to nothing for him. I can only imagine the *****ing and moaning around here.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Well... this has been some serious "can kicking"...

cern

Reaction score
What a difference a day makes. Following our loss to the rams, Irving gone, gregory gone, and still haven't signed tank. I do hope we've learned a lesson regarding the first two personality types. Tank is just business as usual in the NFL. Who blinks first.

uvaballa

Reaction score
This DL is non-functional without Lawrence.

You especially can't trade him now - now that we don't have Irving and RG to fall back on and/or develop.
Dline is going to be bad without Dlaw and those other guys. QB's will be lighting this D up again like they did in the past.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Taco Charlton was drafted on his watch lol. Nothing against him but that’s the draft. It’s luck and skill.
And I don't think Taco Charlton is a bad player. We just haven't had the defensive tackle help the corners out. By the time he gets there the quarterback steps up I've been saying for three seasons without a powerful middle rush you can't win in this league. Make no mistake about it William McClain has been brilliant

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Highly doubt it. Not in their rookie year anyway. And Lawrence already commands double teams.
They were demanding doubles on their team right now you're right it'll be different in the NFL. But there's some big ugly defensive tackles out there. And that's what we're lacking

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Should have traded Lawrence last season. That's my opinion. I spend the money on the middle of the team everywhere else I want football players. That's right there's a difference between football players and money Players. I never expected Lawrence to be a money player but that's what it seems to be coming to

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can’t trade him if he doesn’t sign the tag, can we?
From my understanding yes we can. And the beauty of it is you still on his rights if he doesn't get traded. But there's a debate going on if this is true or not from what I'm understanding it depends if they put the franchise tag on him or not