Trading up for Burrows makes sense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Giving up 3 first rounders would be stupid.

The only logical trade for Dallas is if for some stupid reason the Bengals would swap 1s, take Dak, then trade next years 1 with an extra 2 or 3 thrown in there somewhere.

We would have to give up a player and our only potential asset would be Dak if he holds any trade value.
That's just as moronic too. I'm trade one starter in Dak, one starter in swapping 1's for Burrow, then losing another potential starter by giving up next years pick and then a extra 2 or 3 that could also be a starter. That's not how you contend in this league. If Burrow is MAhomes....that compensation will be worth it. If he's Carson Wentz or Jared Goff? Or even worse Winston or Mahomes? It would set us back.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Because all guys aren't the same. I don't take the approach of "Well...since Dak did it anyone can". That silly approach is what had people thinking Joseph Randle could run behind this line just because Demarco could. And no matter what they have on offense its moot if you don't have a defense and the only way to get it to a playoff level defense is by drafting.

Using your argument though why do I need Burrow? Why not draft a quarterback in the 3rd round? He should succeed too right since Dak did?

It's just as silly to assume a #1 pick who won the Heisman can't or won't succeed either.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Burrow obviously is a good prospect but he definitely carries some risk. A year ago no one was talking about him like this. The same might end up being true a year from now.
I would rather live in the 2nd through 4th rounds for a QB. Dak is easy to replace but you need to focus on a QB that’s like him, smart and poised over super talented. You can find that in the same spot we found Dak himself. The formula can work again, at least until the offensive line finally dries up.

75boyz

Reaction score
too rich
Trade to 5 with Miami and take Tua who could be better than Burrow

I'll play the CowboysZone version of Madden, lol.

I actually don't mind the premise of the OP if it eventually netted championships from the most important position. But I also like Creepers follow up response with an eye toward picking first and possibly Lawrence next year.
But your Tua response has been my desire as well from the beginning.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's just as moronic too. I'm trade one starter in Dak, one starter in swapping 1's for Burrow, then losing another potential starter by giving up next years pick and then a extra 2 or 3 that could also be a starter. That's not how you contend in this league. If Burrow is MAhomes....that compensation will be worth it. If he's Carson Wentz or Jared Goff? Or even worse Winston or Mahomes? It would set us back.

You free up cap space to spend on the rest of the team though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You said they have been much more successful than us the last 20 years

Bengals 145-174-1 win loss record the last 20 years from 2000 until 2019....7 playoff appearances with an 0-7 record
Cowboys 168-152 win loss record the last 20 years from 2000 until 2019....7 playoff appearances with an 3-7 record

neither is great but one team is clearly more inept than the other
Well that's subjective. They have a worse record but they didn't have nearly the talent the Cowboys did. In that same span the Cowboys had a few future Hall of Famers and would've had more if they weren't so inept. I don't recall the Begals making Joey Galloway or Roy Williams-esque trades.

But maybe if we hope and pray maybe they'll be inept enough to trade us Burrow for a 2nd rounder or a 1st.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn’t think drafting a QB is a gamble just look at the 2017 and 2018 draft. In 2017 Mitchell Trubisky was taken second overall ahead of Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. In 2018 Baker Mayfield was the number one overall pick. He regressed from his rookie year and if he doesn’t improve dramatically the Browns will be looking for yet another QB within 2-3 years. There were 5 QBs taken in the first round of the 2018 draft and the best one so far has been Lamar Jackson who was the last QB taken. Mayfield and Sam Darnold were drafted ahead of Josh Allen who’s been the better of the two. The 10th overall pick in that draft was Josh Rosen who’s been a complete bust.

A team has to be desperate to take a QB in the first round of the draft because the odds are less than 50-50 they’ll turn into a franchise QB. The odds are even lower the longer you wait. I’m sure the Bears are having serious buyers remorse thinking had they taken Mahomes they would be where the Chiefs are and the Texans are probably thinking the same thing. Even with all the prodding and poking they do with college QBs prior to the draft you’re never sure how their games will translate at the next level. Pat Mahomes is the latest perfect example. Andy Reid said in a recent interview that one of KC’s scouts told him that Mahomes was the greatest QB they had ever seen, so the Chiefs had an inkling he could be special.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You free up cap space to spend on the rest of the team though.
Cap space for what though? For free agents that no other team wants?

IMO, cap space should be used to sign your guys worth of signing and to fill your roster with a few veterans. It's not used to rely on.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well that's subjective. They have a worse record but they didn't have nearly the talent the Cowboys did. In that same span the Cowboys had a few future Hall of Famers and would've had more if they weren't so inept. I don't recall the Begals making Joey Galloway or Roy Williams-esque trades.

But maybe if we hope and pray maybe they'll be inept enough to trade us Burrow for a 2nd rounder or a 1st.

LOL it's not subjective it's the records of the team lmao. I guess if the Bengals weren't so inept they would have drafted better and have better talent lol. Do you hear your argument? They had 20 years and your saying they didn't do well because they didn't have the talent. That in itself tells you they are inept

lwehlers

Reaction score
It makes sense for Dallas but it doesn’t for the Bengals. There is no way we could move up that high and take him unless they are willing to take Dak.

I think the realistic option would be Tua or Herbert and I’d be ok with moving up for either one of those guys and signing a vet for 1 year.

If we’re going to switch QBs the best move IMO is to go with Brees if he is available or Brady and just go all in on these next 2 years like the Broncos, Eagles, and Rams did to get themselves to the Super Bowl.

Or.. We just play it safe.. Sign Dak... Then try to figure out how on earth we are going to put together the best roster in the NFL around him.
if anything has taught us over the years the jones will pay Prescott and hope for the best. they did the same thing with romo and all it got us was one playoff win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn’t think drafting a QB is a gamble just look at the 2017 and 2018 draft. In 2017 Mitchell Trubisky was taken second overall ahead of Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. In 2018 Baker Mayfield was the number one overall pick. He regressed from his rookie year and if he doesn’t improve dramatically the Browns will be looking for yet another QB within 2-3 years. There were 5 QBs taken in the first round of the 2018 draft and the best one so far has been Lamar Jackson who was the last QB taken. Mayfield and Sam Darnold were drafted ahead of Josh Allen who’s been the better of the two. The 10th overall pick in that draft was Josh Rosen who’s been a complete bust.

A team has to be desperate to take a QB in the first round of the draft because the odds are less than 50-50 they’ll turn into a franchise QB. The odds are even lower the longer you wait. I’m sure the Bears are having through serious buyers remorse thinking had they taken Mahomes they would be where the Chiefs are and the Texans are probably thinking the same thing. Even with all the prodding and poking they do with college QBs prior to the draft you’re never sure how their games will translate at the next level. Pat Mahomes is the latest perfect example. Andy Reid said in a recent interview that one of KC’s scouts told him that Mahomes was the greatest QB they had ever seen, so the Chiefs had an inkling he could be special.

We are chasing for a franchise quarterback when we have one just as good as the one teams have been drafting. Mahomes is the only guy that's been drafted the past 4 seasons that's just better than everyone. But its been Jameis and Mariotta, then Goff and Wentz, then Mayfield and Darnold, then Murray........sorry I'd pay the 30 million to avoid the shot at a Jameis or Mariotta or Goff.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Justin Herbert if not i would take Jacob Eason
Now the guys we might be able to grab are Jake Luton and Riley Neal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL it's not subjective it's the records of the team lmao. I guess if the Bengals weren't so inept they would have drafted better and have better talent lol. Do you hear your argument? They had 20 years and your saying they didn't do well because they didn't have the talent. That in itself tells you they are inept
I agree based on record they have sucked. But they both have sucked is my point. Who sucks the worse is subjective.

And I told you why they didn't have the talent. They have a history being cheap. They don't have a history of making dumb moves is my point. Cowboys have made much more dumb moves than them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cap space for what though? For free agents that no other team wants?

IMO, cap space should be used to sign your guys worth of signing and to fill your roster with a few veterans. It's not used to rely on.

Please don’t pull a Spagnola.

Teams are participating in Free Agency and buying their way to the Super Bowl.

The Broncos, Rams, and Eagles all did it. Even the Patriots sign guys.

The secret sauce Stephen Jones recipe of drafting and only signing our guys is a good way to stay mediocre.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
if anything has taught us over the years the jones will pay Prescott and hope for the best. they did the same thing with romo and all it got us was one playoff win.
IT did but Dak is a much better quarterback now than Romo was at this same age. I think the hope is Dak will continue to get better. There's nothing out there that says he won't.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Please don’t pull a Spagnola.

Teams are participating in Free Agency and buying their way to the Super Bowl.

The Broncos, Rams, and Eagles all did it. Even the Patriots sign guys.

The secret sauce Stephen Jones recipe of drafting and only signing our guys is a good way to stay mediocre.

Broncos, Rams and Eagles did it? I don't recall that. Those teams were built through the draft. Make no mistake about it. They signed a few veterans but they traded and signed some guys.

As a matter of fact look at what happened when they tried to rely on free agency. Remember the Eagles all star team? Oh I'm sorry I mean the "Dream Team"? Sucked. You saw what happened this year when they traded for Jaylon Ramsey? Missed the playoffs.

You need cheap talent. And there is only way to get cheap talent and that's through the draft.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
IT did but Dak is a much better quarterback now than Romo was at this same age. I think the hope is Dak will continue to get better. There's nothing out there that says he won't.
Dak isn’t even one tenth as good as Romo was as a high schooler in Wisconsin, much less at the same age. We need an IQ test on this board desperately. Dak can’t even make the Pro Bowl consistently.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree based on record they have sucked. But they both have sucked is my point. Who sucks the worse is subjective.

And I told you why they didn't have the talent. They have a history being cheap. They don't have a history of making dumb moves is my point. Cowboys have made much more dumb moves than them.

Your reaching now to try and justify what you said to make it true. You judge ineptness by wins and losses it's not complicated and by that standard the Bengals are a much more inept organization than the Cowboys and to add one more point, even if they have a history of being cheap that only strengthens the argument that the organization is inept as it is just one more reason why they are inept

75boyz

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the haters threads when Dak breaks the bank. Hopefully a bunch of them will jump ship.

It will be even better to monitor the pro Dak crowd after a full 5 yr contract elapsed with no rings and a new coaching staff and the standard responses will continue that it was everyone else's fault but Daks. That Jerry Jones non accountability disease even manages to affect the fan base somehow.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
The offensive line is still strong, and Zeke is still powerful.
In the short term and the long, trading up for Burrows is a no-brainer.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.
It makes good sense every way you look at it.
Lol. They are paying Dak. Everyone just needs to realize it.