Trading up for Burrows makes sense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What happens when he goes 7-9 or 6-10 with Dak?
Same thing that happened with Garrett. They will make someone the scapegoat. Probably fire Mike Nolan first. Then maybe a offensive line coach. Then a secondary coach.

Dak isn’t even one tenth as good as Romo was as a high schooler in Wisconsin, much less at the same age. We need an IQ test on this board desperately. Dak can’t even make the Pro Bowl consistently.
Romo made it 4 times in 13 years....Dak made it his first 2 years in the league.......but when the hell did we start using the Pro Bowl to gauge how good someone is? You're reaching there buddy.......

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anything, Dak has proven that he cannot beat good teams. His record on this is pretty clear. He plays great against weaker teams, but struggles when the pressure is on against playoff caliber teams.
So, I guess he is in fact a proven commodity.
We know what we don't have with Dak; we don't have a quarterback who will fight and claw to make the Cowboys a better team. He will go along for the ride vs teams under .500 and play great.
But he's proven that he is not the guy.
If anything Jason Garrett and the coaching proved they could not beat good teams. Romo led teams under Garrett were no different. Matters none, Dak will be signed to a whopper of a contract and then the next QB to sign a contract will get more than Dak...and so on and so on.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nah I would still be here laughing at you, it’s always especially funny when you dabble in statistics and embarrass yourself and the school system that spit you out....
hqdefault.jpg

garyo1954

Reaction score
Same thing that happened with Garrett. They will make someone the scapegoat. Probably fire Mike Nolan first. Then maybe a offensive line coach. Then a secondary coach

Then you've answered your own question. No matter who is at QB the blame will be on playcalling, offensive line, wide receivers drops/running the wrong routes, whatever....everything and anything but the QB.

Same thing we already have.

garyo1954

Reaction score
The only way the Cowboys get draft capital is to Transition Tag Dak,have him sign it, then a team will have to offer 2 firsts to sign Dak. Plus,it would have to be an offer from a team that's already sitting high on the draft board...like the Chargers at 6.
The Chargers would give up their 1st this year (6th pick),next years 1st (?)...then we include those two 1st and our own at 17. Maybe then there can be a foundation to start a serious conversation about a deal.

Transition tag doesn't work that way. Transition tag lets him negotiate with other teams for the best offer then Dallas has the option of matching it. If they don't he walks.

Non-exclusive lets him negotiate, get the best offer, and if the Cowboys don't match, they can receive 2 1sts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Then you've answered your own question. No matter who is at QB the blame will be on playcalling, offensive line, wide receivers drops/running the wrong routes, whatever....everything and anything but the QB.

Same thing we already have.
I didn't ask a question you did. I was just giving you the answer based on what I've seen the past 20 years.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well I Don't deny that. If Jerry was the owner of the Patriots they would miss out on the playoffs. You can bring in any coach or player you want but if Jerry's going to continue to be the same guy and continue to run this organization the same? The product will be the same regardless of what player comes through. 49ers were in the same boat. Things had to change. Commanders and Cowboys refuse to change.

Good and valid point concerning the top foundational position of blame with Jerry.

In the meantime Jerry's coaching selection blunders and not quite good enough QB play over the same time span have been equal contributors of this 3 positional organizational failure.
Insert the coach's name or insert the QB name...
Alongside Jerry and these 2 are equally to blame as not performing their jobs.
Again, my opinion is that the current title holders of Owner/GM, HC AND QB will continue this same lack of success.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Transition tag doesn't work that way. Transition tag lets him negotiate with other teams for the best offer then Dallas has the option of matching it. If they don't he walks.

Non-exclusive lets him negotiate, get the best offer, and if the Cowboys don't match, they can receive 2 1sts.
You're right...my mistake.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good and valid point concerning the top foundational position of blame with Jerry.

In the meantime Jerry's coaching selection blunders and not quite good enough QB play over the same time span have been equal contributors of this 3 positional organizational failure.
Insert the coach's name or insert the QB name...
Alongside Jerry and these 2 are equally to blame as not performing their jobs.
Again, my opinion is that the current title holders of Owner/GM, HC AND QB will continue this same lack of success.
That may be the case. Mind you Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin got 2 rings. But I'm suppose to believe Romo/Dak and Garrett were that inept to at least win more than 2 playoff games?

garyo1954

Reaction score
I didn't ask a question you did. I was just giving you the answer based on what I've seen the past 20 years.

I knew you would say that because you like to argue. But here's what elicited that question......

Question posed......
So Jerry is OK with waiting a few years to contend for a SB after his big overhaul splash? I wonder if he let Mike know about that before he signed the contract.

Your response.....
Let Mike go 7-9 or 8-8 in that stretch with a young quarterback....he'd be fired and essentially be a dead man walking on hire if he had to come in and draft a quarterback.

So that begged a question that you didn't address in your response.

You're good at continuing an argument on technicalities and sometimes obtuse thinking but in the end all you're not making any points. And sometimes I agree with you, but I see no sense in arguing the same thing 2 or 3 days. Useless merri-go-round.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Same thing that happened with Garrett. They will make someone the scapegoat. Probably fire Mike Nolan first. Then maybe a offensive line coach. Then a secondary coach.

Romo made it 4 times in 13 years....Dak made it his first 2 years in the league.......but when the hell did we start using the Pro Bowl to gauge how good someone is? You're reaching there buddy.......
Dak has made exactly one Pro Bowl in his first four years that wasn’t an injury replacement. Romo made 3 Pro Bowls (all voted in) in his first four years, playoffs as well 3 of his first four years. Dak falls up short of both. Don’t even get started in stats, Dak isn’t even close. Dak is inferior in every way, although I’m sure you’ll try to come up with some case without taking into account league wide stat inflation. Like I said, when you start talking stats, the laughs are sure to follow.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
The offensive line is still strong, and Zeke is still powerful.
In the short term and the long, trading up for Burrows is a no-brainer.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.
It makes good sense every way you look at it.
I suspect you don't understand the cost to get all the way up to the 1st overall pick. Take that and then assume even more due to competition for the pick, if it ever really is up for sale.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
The offensive line is still strong, and Zeke is still powerful.
In the short term and the long, trading up for Burrows is a no-brainer.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.
It makes good sense every way you look at it.

Trading up for Burrow is a no brainer and makes good sense every way you look at it? :laugh:

75boyz

Reaction score
That may be the case. Mind you Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin got 2 rings. But I'm suppose to believe Romo/Dak and Garrett were that inept to at least win more than 2 playoff games?

You ain't a bad guy after all, lol. Historically speaking, I have absolutely "no answers" for you on this. That QB/HC combo. made not one, but 2 historic runs, defeating one of what I thought were one of the better team's in history in the undefeated '07 Pats squad only to do it again 4 years later.
My tone of those previous posts I mention are geared towards luck and law of averages type rambling because I so despise that Coughlin Eli did that and the Cowboys couldn't.Truly thought the '07 and 14 teams were actual contenders. Especially the 07 team because they actually had a defense.
But I digress, to now overcome or win in spite of ownership, coaching and in my opinion,game manager QB skills, is too tall a task for even luck or the law of averages to finally find the Cowboys Cinderella.

erod

Reaction score
Whatever it takes.

This franchise is doomed until they fix quarterback.

SSoup

Reaction score
Counterpoint: this is a ridiculously dumb idea.

The number of top picks it would take to trade up from 17 all the way to #1 in a year when there's a franchise QB prospect, and when we have to outbid *numerous* teams with much higher picks to offer? It's insane. We would have to give up our 1st rounder so many years into the future, Joe Burrow would be negotiating or signing his 2nd contract by the time we ever have our 1st rounder again to spend on improving the team around him.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

And that's before considering the very real chance that he's not even an improvement over Dak, which is amazingly likely given how uncommonly good Dak's been from Day 1.