Twitter: Training Camp Tweets 8/27

817Gill

Reaction score
I don't think much should be made of Dak's training camp interceptions. Shortly before he had an MVP season, Mahomes was throwing interceptions left and right in camp.
It’s the time to take risks and there are no real sacks so you have to just throw it up when the guy gets to you. A lot of these picks have been after a defensive player was in position to make a sack.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No if anything him and Byron are the 100% complete opposite

Byron was such a good athlete that they thought "oh yeah we can throw him anywhere". Robinson isn't that great of an athlete but has experience in multiple positions and has good length. Byron was an elite athlete so they thought he should be able to stick anywhere, Robinson isn't that good of an athlete so they have to test the waters and see if he can start anywhere even in a limited role

Robinsons draft profile was literally "likely move inside to slot corner or safety" "project player, corner ? safety ? punt return ? kickoff returner ?, teams will have to find where he can stick". Cowboys aren't pulling a byron, there literally following his draft status ("project player that will have to test the waters")

Byron was a much better safety than he's given credit for being. When we had him playing the free safety spot with Church at strong safety, our secondary was the strength of the defense. When we asked him to play strong safety because Heath couldn't, he struggled with run support.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The safety situation is scary.

So we’ve tried HaHa, Thompson, Wilson, Awuzie, Worley, Robinson.

Still no starter

I haven't seen where we've tried Awuzie or Worley. Just that it's been said that both have safety experience and could be candidates to switch.

I think we're trying Robinson because we only want to switch Awuzie or Worley as a last resort.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Havent heard much on Donovan Wilson....(great camp last year but nothing this year? Odd)

Or anything at all on Joe Jackson.

If anyone has heard anything pls share. Thx.

I expected Wilson to step up and contend, but other than the early interception in camp, I agree, it's been all quiet concerning him with players like Thompson getting a chance to run with the starters ahead of him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
All the picks and all the acrobatic catches from Lamb.

The guy is a stiff.

This is unusual for you. Showing your true colors without catching it in sarcasm that makes others think you are just kidding.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Is that our DE rotation? Not bad. Also reports have suggested Armstrong has been decent as well.

Yeah, I think that's our five guys, with Crawford being the sixth "pass rusher." The four pure DTs will likely be Poe, Woods, Hill and Gallimore, although I expect Crawford to only play inside with the loss of McCoy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ok. And on his highlight tape none of his good plays came from safety so who cares? People wanting to put everybody and their mama at safety is sad. Chido prob will suck too. His best spot is slot cb which is where most of his good plays in college came from

Chido was a nickel beast at CU. He ended up with the career high in sacks and tackles for loss by a CU DB.
Outside he was a solid cover option but showed poor hands which limited his big plays outside.
He made plays galore as a hybrid attack guy and on Special Teams.

On Sundays he is a CB because it is far more rare and valuable skillset.
If he fails there or gets beaten out they'll look at him at safety.
But he's a starting outside CB right now.

BJ31 was a great collegiate cover guy versus lower level dudes but lacked physicality. They tried him at CB first and he was beaten out so they moved him to safety.
After a couple years of NFL development they moved him back in a new Cov 1/3 scheme and he was insanely good.

We don't have to write guys off after 1 or even 2 seasons and guys may play different positions in different schemes.
Coaches job is to get all they can from this for THIS SEASON.

chagus

Reaction score
Does Earl play FS? If so and thats what the Boys lack, maybe JJ is waiting Earl out to lower his price since looks like Earl is ruining his own market value. Perhaps?

lkelly

Reaction score
How's Gregory been looking?
1.jpg

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Byron was a much better safety than he's given credit for being. When we had him playing the free safety spot with Church at strong safety, our secondary was the strength of the defense. When we asked him to play strong safety because Heath couldn't, he struggled with run support.
Jones wasn't a bad FS, just didn't have the feel for zone coverage (2016 vs GB in playoffs comes to mind), but he was excellent in man coverage v. TEs and was actually a great tackler in open space from FS.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Chido was a nickel beast at CU. He ended up with the career high in sacks and tackles for loss by a CU DB.
Outside he was a solid cover option but showed poor hands which limited his big plays outside.
He made plays galore as a hybrid attack guy and on Special Teams.

On Sundays he is a CB because it is far more rare and valuable skillset.
If he fails there or gets beaten out they'll look at him at safety.
But he's a starting outside CB right now.

BJ31 was a great collegiate cover guy versus lower level dudes but lacked physicality. They tried him at CB first and he was beaten out so they moved him to safety.
After a couple years of NFL development they moved him back in a new Cov 1/3 scheme and he was insanely good.

We don't have to write guys off after 1 or even 2 seasons and guys may play different positions in different schemes.
Coaches job is to get all they can from this for THIS SEASON.
All good there. Problem is in order to keep him they need to pony up a second contract.

I hope the new staff finds the right spot for him to make plays but itll be all that much more frustrating how the last staff wasted the guys entire rookie contract.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Especially when they're willingly paying you a ton of money on that contract. I thought that deal was crazy when I read it and now it looks far worse.

To be messed up enough to lose a deal like that takes some doing.

Wherever he goes, the days of big money and guarantees are over.
Right, and I doubt he has wrapped his head around that just yet.

I speculated one team may rush to sign him but its going to be more along the lines of no one giving him any kind of deal where they cant just cut bait without a cap problem.

Every day that passes makes it more likely he becomes a Cowboy on team friendly terms.

I mentioned the vested veteran salary guaranteed if on roster after week one, so he may have more options once the season begins.

Safety is a spot where he could come in and play into the season.

I think he is coming here, but it's going to be AFTER he realizes, and better be ok with...the idea that he screwed up, and needs to repair things on several levels.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I haven't seen where we've tried Awuzie or Worley. Just that it's been said that both have safety experience and could be candidates to switch.

I think we're trying Robinson because we only want to switch Awuzie or Worley as a last resort.
Did I hear something where they wanted that second safety being like a hybrid type, or did I dream that up?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Good for Looney for stepping up like this.

Theres a lot of good players on this team, but not many leaders.

That all said, I hope he is gracious once it's time for the future at C to take over.

Either way, a good man to have around. We need that more than people think....I think.

Something was lacking with this group lately....probably that they often take on the personality of their coach...who didn't have a personality.

Big Joe fan just seems like a solid dude.

Look at Looney and just imagine how much fun this dude is having, always makes me chuckle.

quickccc

Reaction score
We need to figure out how to get the best DBs on the field. Period.

Its not gonna be pretty back there this year.

How many safeties are we gonna carry on the roster?

Safety depth:
Woods
Clinton Dix
Worley (S/CB)
Wilson
Thompson
Robinson ? (S/CB)

Robinson and DuNicci was the only ones of our draft picks that was little heralded and not as highly spotlighted as
rest of our rookie class. i saw Robinson not fairing well in one on one drills at Senior bowl practices but
i also thought he was somewhat raw and would need more developmental time but there had to be
something really promising and appealing to Wil McClay at draft time to take him in the 4th round, even ahead
of Tyler Biadasz and Bradlee Anae.

Wherever the role they decide to place him, i assume they think he's gonna eventually be special.
i dunno if he's gonna be game day active to even be special teams help. It'll be interesting how this turns out this year.

quickccc

Reaction score
Actually, it could potentially benefit him, dep nding on the severity. He needed a lot of strength improvement and a stint on IR might actually help him to stick around.

But given that he was already struggling mightily before the leg injury, how long will you give an OT that's still
not showing he belongs at the NFL level ?

Likely just like Broaddus just said, Good college player....but bad NFL player.