Twitter: Training Camp Tweets 8/27

jjktkk

Reaction score
Seems like there are a ton of reasons why any team isn't running out to sign Earl Thomas. And I am one always willing to take on a project that might have a few warts............... but this guy................ whew, you have to really work to piss off almost an entire team like he did in Baltimore.
Exactly. Even his exit with the Seahawks ended badly. Something is off with Thomas. Not sure I would sign him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But given that he was already struggling mightily before the leg injury, how long will you give an OT that's still
not showing he belongs at the NFL level ?

Likely just like Broaddus just said, Good college player....but bad NFL player.

In many cases, unless there's a bad attitude involved, I agree with Landry that a player shijkd get three years to show whether they can play or not.

As for Broaddus' comments? I take into consideration where he's working - and NOT WORKING - at this point in time.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Stephen Jones

"Its unbelievable that the opener is this close. The players are starting to get to that point, they are tired of going against one another"

On whats happening across pro sports

"We are aware of it and are tremendous sports fans, its unprecedented. Challenges continue to pop up, fires, hurricanes, covid-19, social injustice....my heart felt prayers go out to the blake family......We don't have answers...all the leagues are different and everyone is doing what they think is right....This has to stop at some point.....there was no talk of cancelling today's practice"

On Cee Dee Lamb and a rookie learning curve

"no he does not look like a rookie. We were excited when we were able to select him he has rare ability, route running, acceleration after the catch...his teammates enjoy him and he works super hard, we are fortunate and he will make a big difference on offense and special teams"

On Scouts having no games to evaluate and difficulty evaluating other rosters

"You cant change what you don't have, it is what it is...We will go off old tape. We will look at where we had guys ranked and evaluate them from there, we will turn over every stone when players become available"

Do you count on relationships with other teams scouts

"yes we use everything, scouts and media. We can get information from conversations with guys on other teams and we told our guys to be careful what they say" "Will understands whats going, just like the draft. We will be as good as we can be"

On Jerry's strong resolve about this season and fighting through things

"This is Jerry, him at his finest. We have adversity and challenges and this is when you find out who your best people are. Jerry is accepting of the challenge, we will hit it head on and be creative about it. It puts more pressure on the organization to be better" "We have to be at out best and everyone has challenges right now"

On possibility of 4 1000 yard pass catchers (cavanaugh asking a stupid question)

"Jarwin has had a great camp, it was hard to be a tight end with 82 here and now its jarwin's time and he keeps showing up out there, nothing would surprise me with him this year, his report with Dak is outstanding"

On learning something he didnt know about McCarthy

"He is very transparent and demands respect, has a great feel for what this team needs and its better than I even dreamed he could be"

rags747

Reaction score
He’s supporting pro athletes who stood up for what they believe in, which is racial equality.

Good for Mike and good for the players.

“Lawlessness.” Get a clue.
:lmao2:
Do these Pro Athletes still get paid in situations like this?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Chido was a nickel beast at CU. He ended up with the career high in sacks and tackles for loss by a CU DB.
Outside he was a solid cover option but showed poor hands which limited his big plays outside.
He made plays galore as a hybrid attack guy and on Special Teams.

On Sundays he is a CB because it is far more rare and valuable skillset.
If he fails there or gets beaten out they'll look at him at safety.
But he's a starting outside CB right now.

BJ31 was a great collegiate cover guy versus lower level dudes but lacked physicality. They tried him at CB first and he was beaten out so they moved him to safety.
After a couple years of NFL development they moved him back in a new Cov 1/3 scheme and he was insanely good.

We don't have to write guys off after 1 or even 2 seasons and guys may play different positions in different schemes.
Coaches job is to get all they can from this for THIS SEASON.
Sounds like he needs to be in the slot then

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Stephen Jones

"Its unbelievable that the opener is this close. The players are starting to get to that point, they are tired of going against one another"

On whats happening across pro sports

"We are aware of it and are tremendous sports fans, its unprecedented. Challenges continue to pop up, fires, hurricanes, covid-19, social injustice....my heart felt prayers go out to the blake family......We don't have answers...all the leagues are different and everyone is doing what they think is right....This has to stop at some point.....there was no talk of cancelling today's practice"

On Cee Dee Lamb and a rookie learning curve

"no he does not look like a rookie. We were excited when we were able to select him he has rare ability, route running, acceleration after the catch...his teammates enjoy him and he works super hard, we are fortunate and he will make a big difference on offense and special teams"

On Scouts having no games to evaluate and difficulty evaluating other rosters

"You cant change what you don't have, it is what it is...We will go off old tape. We will look at where we had guys ranked and evaluate them from there, we will turn over every stone when players become available"

Do you count on relationships with other teams scouts

"yes we use everything, scouts and media. We can get information from conversations with guys on other teams and we told our guys to be careful what they say" "Will understands whats going, just like the draft. We will be as good as we can be"

On Jerry's strong resolve about this season and fighting through things

"This is Jerry, him at his finest. We have adversity and challenges and this is when you find out who your best people are. Jerry is accepting of the challenge, we will hit it head on and be creative about it. It puts more pressure on the organization to be better" "We have to be at out best and everyone has challenges right now"

On possibility of 4 1000 yard pass catchers (cavanaugh asking a stupid question)

"Jarwin has had a great camp, it was hard to be a tight end with 82 here and now its jarwin's time and he keeps showing up out there, nothing would surprise me with him this year, his report with Dak is outstanding"

On learning something he didnt know about McCarthy

"He is very transparent and demands respect, has a great feel for what this team needs and its better than I even dreamed he could be"

Thanks Mike for doing this

rags747

Reaction score
I’m not sure and I don’t think it matters. It takes great courage and integrity to do what they did yesterday.
Maybe it would be better for them to just volunteer to give their game check to charity, would certainly be a lot of cash league wide. I see that a couple of Giants are now discussing not showing up for a game during the season, not sure how the lowest paid players feel about that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did I hear something where they wanted that second safety being like a hybrid type, or did I dream that up?

Not sure what you mean by hybrid. Hybrid corner/safety?

I think the plan is to use press man primarily and have both safeties playing quarters. But because Nolan wants the defense to be multiple both safeties will also slide down into the box with single high over the top. So essentially we want two cover safeties who are also stout against the run. Those guys aren't easy to find.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by hybrid. Hybrid corner/safety?

I think the plan is to use press man primarily and have both safeties playing quarters. But because Nolan wants the defense to be multiple both safeties will also slide down into the box with single high over the top. So essentially we want two cover safeties who are also stout against the run. Those guys aren't easy to find.
Right so one or more of the CBs moving to a conventional safety position.

They may do something like that anyway in a nickel or dime coverage deal.

What I basically mean is a guy like Awuzie or Lewis...or even Robinson....playing that kind of spot.

We are hurting for a pair of conventional safeties and I'm thinking that's a way to get some better players on the field.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You can tell quickly if a guy can play safety. It was evident early that byron wasnt good. Best thing he did was guard tight ends in man to man

I agree. Byron was really great at TEs. Had the length, athleticism, agility, and speed to play underneath and no TE was going to run away from him. It's just a mismatch.

Very good with WRs underneath too, for the same reasons, though they're a little bit harder to keep up with. The switch away from zone when Richard came was a big help to him. He just doesn't have the knack to play over the top in zone.

That's the trick for a lot of players. The scheme needs to match their talents.

McCarthy is a much better fit for *all* players that way, with a philosophy of adapting to his players and opponents, instead of the infamous "We do what we do". Be like water, my friend.