Translate the attached Dak stats

Gaede

Reaction score
There's no doubt Dak had a bad 2017, and a bad start to 2018. But he was phenomenal in his rookie year and is startingto look the same way again, sincethe Cooper trade. Haters can criticize all they want for every bad play, but he's making more good than bad and we are winning with him at QB.

He has a ton of room for improvement, especially when it comes to pocket presence, but you cannot objectively deny that he has earned these positive stats so far.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Easy.

Dak is a conservative passer. He's a bus driver. He throws safe passes for a high completion % and fewer INTs. When guys like that have a good running game and defense and aren't really asked to do much, it results in inflated passer ratings. It doesn't really the move the ball all that well, but hey, it looks good in the rating stat. It's how Tyrod Taylor had 6 games over 100 rating in 2015, and 2016 (including 4 over 123 in 2015). Lots of dump offs, screens, play action. Imagine what he would have done with the Cowboys OL, Elliott, and actually above college level WRs.

Then wins are a team stat, so it doesn't make any sense to even bring it up.

But isn't all that part of winning? I mean if you're consistently winning does it matter how ugly or sexy?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His accuracy as a whole, statistically speaking, isn’t poor at all. He’s a career 66% passer.

His accuracy on intermediate throws is right around the league average and his accuracy on deep throws is slightly below the league average. He’s stil a better passer statistically on deep throws than 12 current NFL starters.

It’s really not true to call him inaccurate. His accuracy hovers right around the league average on what most would call difficult throws.

Agreed. The whole "inaccuracy" thing is so much nonsense for the most part.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is ranked around #20 in the NFL

Dallas has one of the worst offenses in the league despite having the #1 running back in the NFL

We can do better.....rather easily next year

How much of that inefficient offense is due to...

-A "car wreck" of a receiving corps for a good chunk of the season
-A level of talent at the TE position that is meh at best
-An offensive line that is patched together and generally underperforming
-Play calling that combines baffling with boring on a regular basis

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Dak wins and he wins ugly, but he wins. That is the point. No one said that you couldn't win ugly and winning ugly doesn't mean that your win is somehow a lesser win. It is still a win. The problem people have with him is that he doesn't fit the prototypical mold of a qb. When they think of that they have Troy Aikman or Tom Brady in their mind's, guy who stands tall in that pocket moves up and delivers that ball with pinpoint accuracy to his receiver. Instead with Dak you have a guy who is going to feast on the short passes to move the ball methodically down the field coupled with a hammer like Zeke. Is it beautiful as watching Aikman toss a 60 yard bomb or hit Michael Irvin on a crossing route? No. Is it effective? well look at the damn record and tell me it isn't effective.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
How much of that inefficient offense is due to...

-A "car wreck" of a receiving corps for a good chunk of the season
-A level of talent at the TE position that is meh at best
-An offensive line that is patched together and generally underperforming
-Play calling that combines baffling with boring on a regular basis
I think all that plays a part of it....I dont really agree with the line part, you cant expect all pros at every position....other QBs are slinging it with no man linemen right now, our line seems fine to me, Dak need to get rid of the ball quicker

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no doubt Dak had a bad 2017, and a bad start to 2018. But he was phenomenal in his rookie year and is startingto look the same way again, sincethe Cooper trade. Haters can criticize all they want for every bad play, but he's making more good than bad and we are winning with him at QB.

He has a ton of room for improvement, especially when it comes to pocket presence, but you cannot objectively deny that he has earned these positive stats so far.

It wasn't all of 2017 that was bad for Dak, the first half of 2017 was much like 2016. It was the Atlanta game and thereafter when things went downhill.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think all that plays a part of it....I dont really agree with the line part, you cant expect all pros at every position....other QBs are slinging it with no man linemen right now, our line seems fine to me, Dak need to get rid of the ball quicker

I think you're off base on the offensive line.

While no you can not have all pros at every position, the players for the most part have underperformed for several reasons–Injuries have been an issue. Williams simply wasn't ready. And Collins at tackle... He'd make a better guard.

Overall the line has not played well game in and game out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sure...if you're not really relying on your passing game to contribute much to winning.

Agree but NO team wins without SOME contribution from passing game. Your point is interesting coz we all know this team is built as a run-first team.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
I think you're off base on the offensive line.

While no you can not have all pros at every position, the players for the most part have underperformed for several reasons–Injuries have been an issue. Williams simply wasn't ready. And Collins at tackle... He'd make a better guard.

Overall the line has not played well game in and game out.
I dont disagree...I've always said Collins was a guard, I still dont understand why we moved him.....William's is a tackle (in my eyes)

I just dont see this line being so bad to cause Dak to take 7 sacks and all his ridiculous fumbles

I think his pocket awareness is terrible, his mechanics are terrible (happy feet) and occasionally hell make a good throw down field

slick325

Reaction score
So...based on the numbers above, Jerry Jones can tell the fan base that since 2016, only Bill Belichick has more wins than Jason Garrett, as he hands the HC a cash heavy lengthy extension?

CWR

Reaction score
Dak is ranked around #20 in the NFL

Dallas has one of the worst offenses in the league despite having the #1 running back in the NFL

We can do better.....rather easily next year

We are the 16th ranked offense as of this article on Nov 24th. We have begun to make huge strides, ESPECIALLY on 3rd down. We were as you stated much worse, but that was BEFORE Cooper.

Its fluid and we are getting better, as is Dak. Im not sure why some want to pigeonhole him into 2017 and the beginning of the season but things are changing (see 4 game win streak) and they're missing the most fun we've had since 2016.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw1uE3CqwRxBDfbEfWi6cs4n&ust=1543801406098950

Mobinvans

Reaction score
We are the 16th ranked offense as of this article on Nov 24th. We have begun to make huge strides, ESPECIALLY on 3rd down. We were as you stated much worse, but that was BEFORE Cooper.

Its fluid and we are getting better, as is Dak. Im not sure why some want to pigeonhole him into 2017 and the beginning of the season but things are changing (see 4 game win streak) and they're missing the most fun we've had since 2016.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjWmMTEgoDfAhUa3YMKHXQhClYQzPwBCAM&url=https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/11/24/18109424/amari-cooper-has-transformed-the-cowboys-offense-just-check-the-stats&psig=AOvVaw1uE3CqwRxBDfbEfWi6cs4n&ust=1543801406098950
Believe me, I hope I'm dead wrong on Dak!

Nothing more I want to see than us winning a Superbowl.....I just don't want to see us waste this team and Zeke with Dak

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Because, even though the cowboys have terrible offensive coaching, need a new Head coach and a new offensive coordinator, and even though the front office is incompetent, doesn’t know what they are doing and are being led by Jerry and Stephen Jones who are only their positions due to money.....

Despite all that, there is a championship caliber team around Dak, that is only getting held back by the terrible, horrible QB play. Because unlike franchise QB’s, Dak is being carried by the rest of the team.

Despite all that........

I think that covers it.
Someone name me one QB with as poor WRs as Dak had through first 8 games (3-5).
Name me any QB in the NFL with literally nothing at TE, especially in the red zone.
And an entire season without his pro bowl center and sometimes 2-3 backup OLmen.

Dak has not been elite, no question. He has things he must improve upon, but he’s still on his rookie contract.

I’ll go out on a limb and say that if TSmith is healthy this Sunday, and if Martin and Filo are healthier after the 10 day break, Dak will show us a very good performance vs Philly. He’s better than he showed prior to Cooper, prior to the OL issues. Get a legitimate threat at TE (every QBs best friend), and there will be much less complaining about him next season, but even then, he must work to improve in certain areas.