Travis Frederick has Guillain Barre Syndrome

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I'm just sayin' don't make it more important than it is. Too many on here seem much more concerned about how a damn football team is gonna get thru this than how TF will.
I would say thoughts and prayers but that is cliché and they don't really work, anyway.

But a heartfelt wish that you do well and they find a cure, mate!

You probably missed the faith criteria.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Game one is a must win game :rolleyes: I haven’t been the most optimistic fan this season and I have always said our O line is our strength and as much as losing Frederick will hurt we are still well above average on the O line.

Not to mention we're facing a Carolina team Week 1 that has its line, literally, in complete shambles. Both tackles lost to injury. There's no excuses for Garrett's squad Week 1, with or without Frederick and Martin.

cern

Reaction score
most recover from gbs. usually in 6-12 months. odds are good he'll recover. but not likely he'll play this year. should be fine for next year. best of luck to a classy guy.

Reactions: BAT

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I fail to see how losing him really effects the secondary. Unless you're saying less ball control means more of the defense on the field.

Whatever. I choose to focus on the person right now.
such a doosh

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Wishing him the best health, he doesn’t need to be thinking about football right now.

Funny how a team strength can turn into a wekness in no time flat. Joe Looney is now our starting center. Crazy how fast things change.

The great wall that never was, what a shame.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Wishing him the best health, he doesn’t need to be thinking about football right now.

Funny how a team strength can turn into a wekness in no time flat. Joe Looney is now our starting center. Crazy how fast things change.

The great wall that never was, what a shame.

I'm confident with Looney at center, but seems at the moment just one more injury and things get really really dicey.

Iron_Man

KevinU
Reaction score
Everyone (except for a few) worrying about the team...
I worry for him.

Football is a damn game. This is his life.

I don't care about the Dallas Cowboys, over his ability to live his life.
Love the man and hope he has a long and healthy life after this with his family.

Now let's go draft a badd-A center next year, yes?

Well said Corso.... I want this team to be successful, but this situation is more important than the game. Travis, just get better.

lukin2006

Reaction score
No where has anywhere I read say that he is done for the season. I read that he received 2 treatments and was feeling much better and strength was returning. Maybe a little optimism is in order. If the team thought his was season ending then they have veteran linemen coming in for workouts... I had GBS when I was 40... I made a complete recovery and my was at a much later stage and made a complete recovery, and believe me Frederick will much better treatment and medical care than I got ...

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Ill do a quick summation of GBS.

Our nerves are coated in myelin, and with GBS our own bodies attack the myelin sheaths around our nerves, they do not damage the nerves themselves, they damage the outer coating. When this happens you can have numbness/tingling/burning/loss of sensation. You also can lose strength in the affected nerves. This usually happens in the hands, and the feet and progresses towards the trunk and is USUALLY rapid in onset. This is also temporary, however with a higher risk of recurrence later in life. Worst case scenario affects respiration.

This is completely temporary, and those with GBS normally experience a full recovery. Think of it as a flu with the nerves.

Variables: Is it one arm? Seems he thought this was a neck stinger, meaning he may not have symptoms in his feet (which is common with GBS). Signs point to potentially being a mild case.

Is he getting symptoms in both arms? If just one arm, this could be a very MINOR case of GBS, that lasts for a month, or two which follows with remyelination of nerves at 1mm a day, etc.

I have worked with and treated those with GBS. Most make a near full recovery, and that is not including the fact Frederick is a high conditioned athlete.

I do not see this as a long term issue, however prayers go out temporarily as GBS is not a pleasant experience. Also, this could be a minor case as well, and early detection can help prevent symptoms from worsening.

GBS is HIGHLY variable. However he will recover to full strength. If you have questions, quote me and ill respond when I can. Gym time now.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
I have an auto immune disease myself so I know what it’s like. It’s something you treat but never really goes away.

You can have long periods of remission and then be in the hospital.

It sucks for him but he does have the advantage of being in good shape and having the best doctors to treat him. Hope he gets well ASAP.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Ill do a quick summation of GBS.

Our nerves are coated in myelin, and with GBS our own bodies attack the myelin sheaths around our nerves, they do not damage the nerves themselves, they damage the outer coating. When this happens you can have numbness/tingling/burning/loss of sensation. You also can lose strength in the affected nerves. This usually happens in the hands, and the feet and progresses towards the trunk and is USUALLY rapid in onset. This is also temporary, however with a higher risk of recurrence later in life. Worst case scenario affects respiration.

This is completely temporary, and those with GBS normally experience a full recovery. Think of it as a flu with the nerves.

Variables: Is it one arm? Seems he thought this was a neck stinger, meaning he may not have symptoms in his feet (which is common with GBS). Signs point to potentially being a mild case.

Is he getting symptoms in both arms? If just one arm, this could be a very MINOR case of GBS, that lasts for a month, or two which follows with remyelination of nerves at 1mm a day, etc.

I have worked with and treated those with GBS. Most make a near full recovery, and that is not including the fact Frederick is a high conditioned athlete.

I do not see this as a long term issue, however prayers go out temporarily as GBS is not a pleasant experience. Also, this could be a minor case as well, and early detection can help prevent symptoms from worsening.

GBS is HIGHLY variable. However he will recover to full strength. If you have questions, quote me and ill respond when I can. Gym time now.

Thank you for this great post

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This stinks and I hope/pray that Fred recovers and have a rewarding life while living with it.

Having said that...

Now it's up to Garrett to move this team forward with injuries. That's the mark of a great football coach. Can he take this unfortunate event and still manage to move his team? My vote is no.