Travis Frederick has Guillain Barre Syndrome

waving monkey

Reaction score
Guillain-Barre (gee-YAH-buh-RAY) syndrome is a rare disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first symptoms.

These sensations can quickly spread, eventually paralyzing your whole body. In its most severe form Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency. Most people with the condition must be hospitalized to receive treatment.

The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome is unknown. But it is often preceded by an infectious illness such as a respiratory infection or the stomach flu.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I have an auto immune disease myself so I know what it’s like. It’s something you treat but never really goes away.

You can have long periods of remission and then be in the hospital.

It sucks for him but he does have the advantage of being in good shape and having the best doctors to treat him. Hope he gets well ASAP.
I'm glad you're strong as steel. And you are...

Creeper

Reaction score
According to WebMD Guillain-Barre Syndrome can cause muscle weakness, reflex loss, and numbness or tingling in parts of your body. It can lead to paralysis, which is usually temporary.

It says most people recover, even those with severe cases. In fact, 85% of people with GBS make a full recovery within 6 to 12 months. Once you get better, the chance of it returning is very small.

It also says it normally strikes people 50 or older but there is some research indicating the ZIKA virus may be a cause.

In any case, there is an excellent chance Travis Frederick's career is not over but it looks like he could miss a few months. Tough break for him and the Cowboys. Let's hope he is okay.

GridironGreat

Reaction score
Yea, it's understandable to overreact. It can be a very serious illness. Happy they caught it early. Doubt he plays this season, but you never know. Every case is different. Good luck Travis!!