CFZ Trent Dilfer and 13 other guys

Nav22

Reaction score
Not sure if you watched those QBs play but they stepped up their game in the playoffs.
Of course Dilfer rode the defense but the others performed well. Sure having a strong defense helps and it's a team game but Foles was playing like a possessed man and Eli was just in a zone. Those SB winning QBs were making plays and not turning the ball over. Dak is too inconsistent and can only find his zone against the NFC east.
You tried too. Good for you.
:lmao2:

Nav22

Reaction score
Let's talk Eli a bit. He is obviously one of 13 who has quarterbacked two SB winners. But talent wise he had no where the arm or seasonal stats that his brother and others on the list possessed. However I think Eli is the poster boy for outside intangibles...perhaps the only one. His dad was a good QB and his bro was elite. It appears to me that Eli was somehow motivated by all of that and actually performed somewhat above his talent level. He might just have been gritty enough and driven enough by his dad and Peyton to out perform his skill set.
Yeah, either that or his defense was elite and made guys like Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, Tom Brady and Matt Ryan look like mediocre scrubs who could barely crack 17 points when they faced the Giants.

Team sport.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
OR just maybe others did not step up as well

Blaming a QB for a team loss is moronic.

Now if you have a lead with seconds to go and throw a stupid pick 6 to lose the game, then yes YOU blew it.

But that does not happen that often.

Playing below expectations in the playoffs? Happens more often then not

Peyton Mannings career stats in the playoffs STANK. His last SB win was IN SPITE of him

People seem to also forget the other sides D has a lot to say about how a QB performs

Look at the HOF QBs that did not do well against the Great Defenses like the Ravens and Bucs? Are those Guys suddenly bums?

EVERYTHING has to go right for a team to win the SB. Otherwise its arguable that Brady and BB and the Pats should have won TWICE as many as they did.
Tom Brady did not step up in the 2007 SB against the Giants. But now he is a bum?

Both Tony and Dak were horribly handicapped by head coaching. Wade Phillips and Jason Garret were POOR HCs. and too many of our staff were average.

Now MM has a ring; has some chops and things seem to be going better. Just Maybe Dak gets a ring because of THAT. We shall see.
I agree. I don’t think this team has been equipped to win a SB. I wanted them to win in spite of that and it wasn’t realistic. I think now we are and have been since getting Mike.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The point is a handful of QBs...elite types...are all over SB history. And NFL managers are obsessed with finding the next one in every draft or wherever.

But you can win with a less than elite guy if everything else aligns and things fall in place.

Stats tell us that it is more likely to happen with an elite guy HOWEVER......
The issue the trolls throw back is that once the "non-elite" QB gets paid market value the team is hamstrung. Market value for bus driving QB's is still very high.

If they arent griping about the QB being "not Tom Brady" they are griping about the FO paying market value for bus drivers. Its a revolving door of negativity and beyond depressing.

They refuse to have a reasonable conversation about why non-elite QB's are paid so much. They refuse to subscribe to the pay league minimum for a QB or get a rookie contract and dont pay anyone who isnt Tom Brady either.

Its pretty much they gripe and they dont want a solution other than slave wages for good QB's. Listen to my annoying, depressing griping or pay slave wages of good players lol.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I agree. I don’t think this team has been equipped to win a SB. I wanted them to win in spite of that and it wasn’t realistic. I think now we are and have been since getting Mike.
I think teams that maybe were not really good enough have won SBs because of great coaching; which we have not had since Jimmy left; and even Jimmy was not so good with Miami.

There have been a few teams that everything just came together and they won a SB and never did anything else again. True dynasties are rare.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes, everyone knows the NFL has made the QB position too valuable. The issue here is average QBs rarely win Super Bowls once they get a gigantic contract.

To win a Super Bowl you either need a generational QB or getting your trophies when your QB is on a reasonable deal. The fact that nearly ALL franchise QBs right now are getting paid like generational talent is a problem.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The issue the trolls throw back is that once the "non-elite" QB gets paid market value the team is hamstrung. Market value for bus driving QB's is still very high.

If they arent griping about the QB being "not Tom Brady" they are griping about the FO paying market value for bus drivers. Its a revolving door of negativity and beyond depressing.

They refuse to have a reasonable conversation about why non-elite QB's are paid so much. They refuse to subscribe to the pay league minimum for a QB or get a rookie contract and dont pay anyone who isnt Tom Brady either.

Its pretty much they gripe and they dont want a solution other than slave wages for good QB's. Listen to my annoying, depressing griping or pay slave wages of good players lol.
It disgusts me anytime someone making millions of dollars calls that slave wages

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It disgusts me anytime someone making millions of dollars calls that slave wages
Come on. Youre deflecting. It disgusts me when "posters" deflect.

Whos disgust is worse? Lets create a rabbit hole.

So childish

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Eli Manning (x2), Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Matt Stafford... and those are just in the last 20 years or so.

You tried.
Having Eli and Stafford in there just makes you look silly. I’m fact it blows up in your face and laughing emojis. Eli’s 2007 SB saw one of the best games of his career and in most historical markers at the end of the season and playoffs. 2011, stat wise, was one of his best years snd he was top 4 stat wise. Stafford always had the tools, athleticism and arm and despite being on the Lions was the fastest QB to 40000 yards and had a 90.1 career passer rating. At least these guys made it through some great years to a SB to win. I’m still waiting on ours despite stacked teams. Pick your yo-yo argument…trophies or stats or both. You change with the wind. Not the best ever but not Brad Johnson, etc

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Let's talk Eli a bit. He is obviously one of 13 who has quarterbacked two SB winners. But talent wise he had no where the arm or seasonal stats that his brother and others on the list possessed. However I think Eli is the poster boy for outside intangibles...perhaps the only one. His dad was a good QB and his bro was elite. It appears to me that Eli was somehow motivated by all of that and actually performed somewhat above his talent level. He might just have been gritty enough and driven enough by his dad and Peyton to out perform his skill set.
In 2007 Eli's defense got hot for the playoffs. Sure he played better in the playoffs than the regular season, but it was his defense that held that undefeated Brady led offense (50 TD passes that year) to only 14 points in that superbowl.

The defense was the MVP in that game, although they gave the MVP to Eli.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
In 2007 Eli's defense got hot for the playoffs. Sure he played better in the playoffs than the regular season, but it was his defense that held that undefeated Brady led offense (50 TD passes that year) to only 14 points in that superbowl.

The defense was the MVP in that game, although they gave the MVP to Eli.
Perfect example illustrating why "posters" focus on QB and Super Bowls so much?

Defense is important in games. Yet the QB gets blamed or is the Hero............"because he's paid the most" lol. Ok...fair...but youre still making the argument about SB's and QB's play/pay unreasonable.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Having Eli and Stafford in there just makes you look silly. I’m fact it blows up in your face and laughing emojis. Eli’s 2007 SB saw one of the best games of his career and in most historical markers at the end of the season and playoffs. 2011, stat wise, was one of his best years snd he was top 4 stat wise. Stafford always had the tools, athleticism and arm and despite being on the Lions was the fastest QB to 40000 yards and had a 90.1 career passer rating. At least these guys made it through some great years to a SB to win. I’m still waiting on ours despite stacked teams. Pick your yo-yo argument…trophies or stats or both. You change with the wind. Not the best ever but not Brad Johnson, etc
IT doesn't make him look silly. It doesn't matter how many garbage yards Matt Stafford compiled. Eli and Matt Stafford have had some BAD years. And he also benefited from having one of the best receivers of all time and it amount to nothing. Matt Stafford and Eli are closer to trash than they are Mahomes.

khiladi

Reaction score
Had not just a great defense, had arguably one of the greatest, if not greatest, defense of all time. They generated 62 TOs that year and 12 total in the playoffs.

They still ended up in the wild card game that year, because of their offense. They had a 3 game losing streak in mid-season where they put up 3, 6 and 6 points respectively while their opponents were held to 10, 14, 9 pts. Their offense committed 8 TOs that stretch and the defense produced 8 TOs.

There was a reason they didn’t bring Dilfer back even though Banks lost 2 of those 3 games. Dilfer was basically throwing the ball under 20 times a game in the playoffs anD Lewis was the workhorse of the offense.

Those QB numbers are doing nothing in this modern era and it’s not even possible to sustain that defensive type production in todays game.

It’s easier to find a franchise QB that is elite than to produce a defense like that ever again..

Last edited:

Nav22

Reaction score
Eli scored 17 points in "one of the best games of his career"?

That's the dude you're hyping?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Miller

Reaction score
IT doesn't make him look silly. It doesn't matter how many garbage yards Matt Stafford compiled. Eli and Matt Stafford have had some BAD years. And he also benefited from having one of the best receivers of all time and it amount to nothing. Matt Stafford and Eli are closer to trash than they are Mahomes.
It does. They don't belong in the conversation. Posters like y'all keep moving the goalposts on what is important. Now Stafford has garbage yards? The guy was considered one of the most talented QBs out there with a trash franchise. Eli won SBs in 1 of his best years and another with one of his best streaks. Yet you make excuses for Dak "not" having trash yards or having no talent"...despite having a career with WAY more than Stafford. I'm just stating that including those two in a Brad Johnson, etc group is silly.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Dilfer and Brad Johnson benefitted from epic defenses.

Stafford, when healthy, is a talented QB. He also had a front office willing to bet it all and surround him with the most talent possible.

Eli Manning was a talented QB. A little bit lucky, but still fairly talented.

Nick Foles was a very unique situation.

Miller

Reaction score
Eli scored 17 points in "one of the best games of his career"?

That's the dude you're hyping?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
Again Nav, RIF class and just general football understanding would help. He got hot from end of season through the SB that year...that's would QBs should do vs wet the best once the playoffs get testy. He also had one of his best seasons and was top 4 in 2011. But you are saying 17 points equals bad...got ya. I'll move along. I'm sure these facts will all change with how you present our QBs over the years

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
“This one time an overpaid QB made the Super Bowl.”

These are outliers and they still didn’t win.

Its obvious that overpaying a normal to slightly above average QB is a recipe to not win a championship.
there has been more than one time. its not an outlier. and you have to get to the big dance to have a chance. and Elite always trumps anything else. we saw that this past superbowl.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It does. They don't belong in the conversation. Posters like y'all keep moving the needle on what is important. Now Stafford has garbage yards? The guy was considered one of the most talented QBs out there with a trash franchise. Eli won SBs in 1 of his best years and another with one of his best streaks. Yet you make excuses for Dak "not" having trash yards or having no talent"...despite having a career with WAY more than Stafford. I'm just stating that including those two in a Brad Johnson, etc group is silly.
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer were not bad quarterbacks. I guess over time that's changed as we get older but they were not bad quarterbacks they were just guys who leaned on their defense.

There was a year where Matt Stafford had Calvin Johnson and the best defense in the league and they sucked.

And yes Matt Stafford did have garbage yards. I know y'all think Dak invented that phrase but before Dak there was Matt Ryan. And before him it was Matt Stafford. Garbage yards. Eli's career is so Jekyll and Hyde its incredibly hard to gauge what his career was. He had highs and extreme lows.

And if Matt Stafford was considered the "most talented" then its only because he has a arm and people value that. Josh Allen is another one. They hype him up so much over his arm and don't care about his turnovers.