Trent Dilfer Predicts Romo as MVP

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
He said I think last week or week before on Cowturd show ( Colin Cowherd that is), that he has a Man-crush on Romo :D Much like many in Cowboys fandom.

I agree, he is like Ron Jaworski, in many ways. He is very good at breaking down film and plays, much like Ron does. I am really surprised at that, since he seems like such a bright guy, wonder why he never had that much success on the field, other than that one year with Baltimore.

I mean he kind of sucked when he played for Bucs, although it was on and off with him. And yes, with any team, he only tends to talk the facts and not heavy personal opinions.

I know not many like Ron Jaworski, but I think Ron is usually good at providing info, and very good at breaking down film etc.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
jobberone;2456424 said:
No one on our team is 11-1. He's become a very good QB. He just isn't going to take over a game like a Favre, Romo, his brother, Brees. etc. He's a manager but he has started to hit some longer passes. He doesn't lose games either.

He's the perfect bus driver. Maybe even the luxery coach type.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;2456424 said:
No one on our team is 11-1. He's become a very good QB. He just isn't going to take over a game like a Favre, Romo, his brother, Brees. etc. He's a manager but he has started to hit some longer passes. He doesn't lose games either.
That's the kinda description you see of an MVP candidate.

Givincer

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2456229 said:
If the Jets make it into the Playoffs, I would have to give Brett Favre the edge.

Also, I know most will be upset, but I think at some point you have to start taking a hard look at Eli Manning as well.

Or you could take a hard look at the games our team played without Tony Romo and the games our team played with Tony Romo, and see, quite clearly, he is more valuable to his team than any other player in the league is.

Without him, we are among the worst teams in the NFL... With him we're possibly the best. He's as valuable a player as is even possible.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2456229 said:
If the Jets make it into the Playoffs, I would have to give Brett Favre the edge.

Also, I know most will be upset, but I think at some point you have to start taking a hard look at Eli Manning as well.

This was funny, made me laugh. A lot. Favre yes, Sheli? not so much, unless we are taking about the most valuable bus driver award.

Jets without Favre = nothing
Cowboys without Romo = also nothing
Gnats without Sheli = Gnats

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2456356 said:
lol dilfer was horrible on the field. i like him as an analyst though.

Lots of 2nd tier QBs make great coaches and analysts. I bet it has to do with not having as much talent and studying more to compensate.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
viman96;2456446 said:
Lots of 2nd tier QBs make great coaches and analysts. I bet it has to do with not having as much talent and studying more to compensate.

What happened to Garrett?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2456454 said:
What happened to Garrett?

Despite what some whine about here, Garret is on the rise as a coach. He was a 2nd tier QB with plenty of time to study :)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
No QB on a 2nd place team has ever won MVP, unless that team had the same record as the 1st place team and lost the division on a tie-breaker.

Talking AP.

All the quarterbacks who have ever won the award were on a team that finished first or tied for first in its division.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
As I stated already, Brad Johnson is so horrible as a Quarterback, he over-inflates Tony Romo's worth to the team.

This is not a knock on Tony Romo because I believe he is one the best Quarterbacks in the league.

However, if the Cowboys would have done alot better job of getting a decent backup, this team would have been alot better off and we would not have lost to teams like the St. Louis Rams.

I know this is a minority opinion, but that is what I believe.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2456468 said:
As I stated already, Brad Johnson is so horrible as a Quarterback, he over-inflates Tony Romo's worth to the team.

This is not a knock on Tony Romo because I believe he is one the best Quarterbacks in the league.

However, if the Cowboys would have done alot better job of getting a decent backup, this team would have been alot better off and we would not have lost to teams like the St. Louis Rams.

I know this is a minority opinion, but that is what I believe.

I would agree. Tony is fantastic but having a breathing back up would help.

It's just some thing Jones hasn't done in for ever.

cmacch

Reaction score
TX_Yid;2456438 said:
This was funny, made me laugh. A lot. Favre yes, Sheli? not so much, unless we are taking about the most valuable bus driver award.

Jets without Favre = nothing
Cowboys without Romo = also nothing
Gnats without Sheli = Gnats

I agree so much with this. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention or something, but Eli hasn't looked all that outstanding to me this year. The only game he played that was even remotely impressive to me was yesterday's. Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely a solid quarterback, but comparable to Romo? I don't think so. If any part of the Giants is the "Most Valuable," it's the Defense. Not Eli.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
cmacch;2456511 said:
I agree so much with this. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention or something, but Eli hasn't looked all that outstanding to me this year. The only game he played that was even remotely impressive to me was yesterday's. Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely a solid quarterback, but comparable to Romo? I don't think so. If any part of the Giants is the "Most Valuable," it's the Defense. Not Eli.

David Carr is the back up to Manning. Way better than RJ but it would effect them none the less.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
You guys be careful!. Trent is also the same guy that said that FAvre was the greatest QB of all time. I know how you guys loved that statement. :sarcasm: Personally, I think he is right on both assessments. Romo for MVP this year and FAvre the greatest ever. :D

cmacch

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2456520 said:
David Carr is the back up to Manning. Way better than RJ but it would effect them none the less.

Well of course it would affect them. I'm not negating that fact. All I'm saying is that I don't think the success of the Giants is as heavily dependent on Eli as the success of the Cowboys is dependent on Romo. That, and Romo is in general a way better quarterback IMO

dfense

Reaction score
cowboyz;2456213 said:
trent dilfer playing the good cop at espn?

he's consistently been giving love to the cowboys
That's because he's played the position. Even Jaws gives it up for Romo.

Who else is there, a couple egotistical receivers, an old school linebacker and an old school coach. Berman has no business even being there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listening to Dilfer it's clear he is very knowledgeable about the NFL. I enjoy listening to him explain his feelings about matters in a very clear and precise manner that allows anyone to understand what he is trying to say.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
cmacch;2456548 said:
Well of course it would affect them. I'm not negating that fact. All I'm saying is that I don't think the success of the Giants is as heavily dependent on Eli as the success of the Cowboys is dependent on Romo. That, and Romo is in general a way better quarterback IMO

No doubt Romo is the better QB. Manning does enough to win and doesn't or hasn't done any thing to hurt them. Tony is some times lucky in that department.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2456430 said:
He's the perfect bus driver. Maybe even the luxery coach type.

At least luxury.

theogt;2456431 said:
That's the kinda description you see of an MVP candidate.

I'd say it will be hard to keep it from him if they win the SB again. That will be a lot of gold for him.

The Panch

Reaction score
If the polls were to end today, I wouldnt even have Romo in the pro bowl. Id have Warner, Brees and yes, Eli ahead of him (even tho he doesnt deserve MVP mention when he has the best O-line and running game in football making things easier for him), but if he can run the table, Romo should be the MVP.