News: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags have agreed to a 5-year, $275M extension

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
$60 million is not the market. No QB is making that average per year. Dak would be resetting the market to get that.
By the time Cowboys sign Dak….which by the looks of things will be after Tua, Love…..we may be at 60 million sooner rather than later.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
By the time Cowboys sign Dak….which by the looks of things will be after Tua, Love…..we may be at 60 million sooner rather than later.
I don't disagree with that. The longer we wait (if we're going to do it), the worse it will get. And I'm sure Dak's agents know that and are in no hurry because of it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. The longer we wait (if we're going to do it), the worse it will get. And I'm sure Dak's agents know that and are in no hurry because of it.
Agree I’ve been saying it for weeks when guys get done early it’s not a bargain instantly. But it becomes under market Vante very quick. Jags had to massive overpay now for relief later.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Agree I’ve been saying it for weeks when guys get done early it’s not a bargain instantly. But it becomes under market Vante very quick. Jags had to massive overpay now for relief later.
If we were to sign him right now, it might be $56 or $57, just based on the argument that a lesser QB got $55. That would allow Prescott to claim the bragging rights of being the highest-paid QB. And it probably would allow the team to negotiate a longer deal or less guaranteed than what Dak's camp will be seeking in order to keep the cap impacts lower the first couple of years.

If we continue to wait, all those things will rise. The only value in waiting is if you are not going to re-sign him ... unless the team reaches a certain level of achievement. He'll cost more then and there's the risk that he'll just choose to go elsewhere, but the onus will be on rewarding winning. If you do that, you have to stick to it, because if the team only makes the playoffs and you pay him anyway then you could have paid him less for the probability of that happening.

Frankly, I do not mind a do-or-die season, but I fully expect them to sign him to a long-term deal this offseason, so there's no value in waiting any longer to do that.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If we were to sign him right now, it might be $56 or $57, just based on the argument that a lesser QB got $55. That would allow Prescott to claim the bragging rights of being the highest-paid QB. And it probably would allow the team to negotiate a longer deal or less guaranteed than what Dak's camp will be seeking in order to keep the cap impacts lower the first couple of years.

If we continue to wait, all those things will rise. The only value in waiting is if you are not going to re-sign him ... unless the team reaches a certain level of achievement. He'll cost more then and there's the risk that he'll just choose to go elsewhere, but the onus will be on rewarding winning. If you do that, you have to stick to it, because if the team only makes the playoffs and you pay him anyway then you could have paid him less for the probability of that happening.

Frankly, I do not mind a do-or-die season, but I fully expect them to sign him to a long-term deal this offseason, so there's no value in waiting any longer to do that.
Dak’s on record saying he’s not out to be the highest paid QB. Yet no one acknowledges that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I'm on record that a decision needs to be made ASAP. Its already too late. The longer they wait the worst it gets. Whether the answer is to move on from him or not a decision needs to be made.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Look at his 2022 stats. 25 TDs and 8 Int. Over 4100 yards passing. QB rating 95.2 That's not a bad year. He was 22 years old at the time. He is more then a hair tosser.
Be that as it may.. The facts say that Lawrence's best season, 2022 would rank as Dak's 7th best season in terms of passer rating. His highest completion percentage also in 2022 would be Dak's 6th best. Those 25 TDs that year would rank 4th for Dak. Same with his 4100+ passing yards. His 56.1 QBR achieve in both '22 and '23 would be Dak's 8th best. Dak has had two seasons with a QBR below 60. Lawrence has never had one ABOVE 60. It seems unreasonably hard for a lot of people to accept it but at least to this point, Dak Prescott is a far better QB than Trevor Lawrence.

BTW Lawrence was 23 in 2022. Not a big deal but if we're gonna lean on youth as an asset then let's lean on it accurately.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm on record that a decision needs to be made ASAP. Its already too late. The longer they wait the worst it gets. Whether the answer is to move on from him or not a decision needs to be made.
I honestly don't think it matters at this point. They're going to structure the deal so that his cap his these next two seasons dwindle to the 20-20 million range and balloon on the of it just like the last deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I honestly don't think it matters at this point. They're going to structure the deal so that his cap his these next two seasons dwindle to the 20-20 million range and balloon on the of it just like the last deal.
Yeah but its costing them the more they wait. Even if its a million that's still a million more than it should be costing.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah but its costing them the more they wait. Even if its a million that's still a million more than it should be costing.
I don't think they care at this point. I think Jerry just wants the keep the Cowboys in the news cycle. It's worth it to him to overpay for all the pub it gets him. Yes it stinks from a football standpoint but from a business standpoint it works.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think they care at this point. I think Jerry just wants the keep the Cowboys in the news cycle. It's worth it to him to overpay for all the pub it gets him. Yes it stinks from a football standpoint but from a business standpoint it works.
I mean its clear they don't are or just incompetent. My point is, its not good for us or the fans for them not to be making personel decisions until the last minute. One more example of how behind we are as a franchise.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Just wanted to place more emphasis on the information you provided. The current collective bargaining agreement is a 31-year-old modification of the original, that began in 1993, and has been re-agreed upon by owners and the NFLPA in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011 and 2020.

Just like any agreement, labor language has been added to and subtracted from the CBA over the decades. However, the provisions for the league's salary cap and free agency have remained essentially the same.

As you stated, the CBA will not be changed until the owners and players union come to an agreement for a new CBA after the current one ends. That said, there is extremely little reason for anyone to believe the salary cap and free agency system will get tinkered with by either party at that time.

The last 'major' adjustment was done for incoming rookie salaries. Basically, the union deferred to amending the agreement because they--e.g. veterans--did not agree on the logic of players entering the league and making comparative or larger compensation before taking a single snap.

Under a hard cap structure, any restriction placed upon one position, say, veteran quarterbacks, would invariably be assigned to other positions as well in some form. The owners would love that. The players? Their agreement is exceedingly doubtful. Career longevity is typically short for most players. Players gun for pocketing the most money they can get before their time runs out.

Quarterback salaries may start leveling off after 2031. I wish I was from Missouri. The owners must show me they would stop whipping out their checkbooks for me to believe it.
Thanks for the info DallasEast, I appreciate it. I totally forgot about them amending the rookie pay scale so more money went to the vets and less to rookies.

I agree with you, I dont think the NFLPA would ever accept a cap on position salaries. Like you said, this would benefit the owners because positions have different life spans. QBs, thanks to many rules to protect them, can play well into their 40s nowadays where RBs are usually physically beat down to nothing by year 4 or 5.

The owners would have to offer something very, very sweet to get the NFLPA to accept position caps, like a higher percentage of league revenue, no more franchise tags, or eliminating the 5th year option and all players are UFAs after 4 seasons. I dont think the owners would likely agree to any of this either, so I dont see the players or the owners picking this hill to die on. I am anticipating just a rubber stamp of the current system and renew for another decade.

The only thing that will bring salaries down is if NFL league revenue starts to decline since the salary cap is tied to this. But with streaming deals, media rights, gambling money from Draftkings and MGM Grand, and even Amazon paying a couple of billion more to stream some Wildcard games next year, I dont see NFL league revenue decreasing anytime soon. So, expect salaries for the very best players, especially QBs, to keep increasing and increasing. Along with other premium positions like Edge, CB, and WR.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I am betting there isn’t. I like Dak but everyone knows he is a choker. No one will pay a 32 year old choker.
36 TDs, 9 picks, 70% completion rate, 114 QBR

If you dont think there is one single team in the entire NFL that would pay $55 million a year for those stats from their QB, I think you are severly underestimating how QB starved the league is.

There are teams that are stacked on defense, have a good offensive supporting cast, but dont have a QB.......see the Raiders .............they would easily pay $55 for those stats from their QB.

But we shall see soon enough.

JeremyTB

Reaction score
Lawrence's contract is not as high once you realize he has 2 years left on his rookie contract because they picked up his 5th year option which is $25 Million. So really it's a 7 year deal worth $306 Million which equals $43.8 Million per season. The advantage of extending players with still years left on their deal.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
36 TDs, 9 picks, 70% completion rate, 114 QBR

If you dont think there is one single team in the entire NFL that would pay $55 million a year for those stats from their QB, I think you are severly underestimating how QB starved the league is.

There are teams that are stacked on defense, have a good offensive supporting cast, but dont have a QB.......see the Raiders .............they would easily pay $55 for those stats from their QB.

But we shall see soon enough.
We will and more importantly let’s see how it works out.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When an owner wants to keep his QB he extends aka Goff, Lawrence etc etc.
I think it's pretty clear the owners of the Dallas Cowboys have no interest in extending their QB.
All-In baby............didn't you hear the news??

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dak’s on record saying he’s not out to be the highest paid QB. Yet no one acknowledges that.
Subsequent quarterback signings insure that he won’t be. Hurts was the highest paid player ever, for like 6 days. Soon he won’t be in the top ten, which is more appropriate.

fivetwos

Reaction score
One of the trends that have led up to these salaries is the concept of "franchise quarterback". The franchises make a financial commitment that requires the QB to start and so all competition is cut off.

The GM's don't dare acquire a backup with the potential to be better and replace their multi-million dollar investment. There have even been star QB's that were upset about the possibility of potential competition.

As such, there is rarely a backup QB that doesn't represent a serious reduction of productivity. The agents for starting QB's must love this, they can ask for the moon because if that QB sits out then that team's season is probably over before it started.

This would never happen in the era before free agency. Teams were built on a career commitment by each player since they would have to be traded or cut to play elsewhere.

Backup QB's never had the option of going somewhere else after 3-5 seasons. Some teams had up to 3 QB's that could legitimately start.

Steve Spurrier, a Heisman trophy winner and 1967 3rd overall draft pick of the 49ers sat for 9 seasons behind John Brodie before being a full-time starter.

Today, many new QB's get almost zero time to acclimate to the pro game, there is very little development. As a result, the list of viable options for a team that covets a good starting QB immediately is practically non-existent.
Just read this now after posting something similar yesterday in another thread. Sorry for that. Great stuff and very true.

It would benefit everyone if there were some sort of system in place to allow development time for those that need it, then just maybe there would eventually be more than 12-15 decent QBs for 32 teams and at least help, the supply/demand problem.

I feel as if this isnt possible to overcome as it’s not taking money away from the players, it’s just more evenly distributed.

Yeah QBs are most important but there’s also no way they should be making 3-4 times what a teams top defensive player is making, or 30-50 times what the backup makes.

It’s not even really about fairness as much as fielding a better product overall.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Excellent point DallasEast........................most posters do not understand the concept of "next QB up gets paid".

That is why the longer you wait, the higher the price goes, because as more and more QBs sign on the dotted line the baseline keeps moving up.

The baseline for Dak is now $55 million........rumors are that Tua is close to being the "next man up", so expect that baseline to soon be $57-$58 million a year after Tua.

If that price is too rich for the Cowboys, they can let Dak walk...............That is the only option at this point, they either pay market or name a new starter, no other options exist.
For those of you that keep blaming the Cowboys for not getting a deal done.

Mike to his girlfriend: Hey honey, I wuv you so much. Will you Marry me?

Susie: No

Girlfriend's family to MIke: Mike, you have been dating her for 5 years, why havent you married Susie yet?

If Jerry Signed Dak to 5 year 300 million dollar deal 5 months ago 95% of this forum would have exploded in post after post discussing how dumb the FO is. Problem is, Dak wasnt signing for 55 million per year 5 months ago.... so what is Jerry supposed to do? Do exactly what he is doing now.... waiting for the season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When an owner wants to keep his QB he extends aka Goff, Lawrence etc etc.
I think it's pretty clear the owners of the Dallas Cowboys have no interest in extending their QB.
All-In baby............didn't you hear the news??
I’m not with the trolling man it’s become tiresome and not even worth it. Just discussing football troll someone else who will take your bait.