Trey Lance is a flip-for-profit?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Nope.

Maybe you can get a late-round pick for him but teams all know that he's going to be a free agent after next year anyway. You're not going to get anything more than what you gave up when he's not playing.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
They can't showcase him until Dak and Cooper are injured and can't play. Any showcase will be in pre-season next year.
There are scenarios where the last 2-3 weeks are generally meaningless games. He can come and play in relief those games and showcase capability.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And no team is going to trade their 2025 4th round pick (what the Cowboys gave up to the Forty-niners) or higher, for Lance doing mop-up duty during the 2024 season.
then we wasted a 4th round pick.

or else he has to show a lot in practice and pre-season for a reason for cowboys to keep him. in 2025, his 5th year option is 25M. not sure if he doesn't show enough its worth for us to keep him.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
A $5M, 3rd option QB is not going to fly next season. There is no way they are not extending Dak and no way they trust Lance more than Rush. I doubt Lance and his Agent are going to give the Cowboys a 3rd string deal.
This was a big portion of the basis for my guessing here. Flipping for profit is the only thing that made decent sense.

Proof

Reaction score
They can't showcase him until Dak and Cooper are injured and can't play. Any showcase will be in pre-season next year.
or unless they elevated him over rush for a game, or made all three active. not sure why this keeps being stated as fact.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I've seen a couple places trying to link a Lance trade to Minnesota........lol

Aven8

Reaction score
He hasn’t gone through Mikes QB schoo ml yet. Once he does that maybe he develops and can either play or we can snag a higher draft pick for after PS. He will most likely play ALL of next PS

Hardline

Reaction score
or unless they elevated him over rush for a game, or made all three active. not sure why this keeps being stated as fact.
Because it is fact. It's literally written in the rules.

Proof

Reaction score
Because it is fact. It's literally written in the rules.
again. they can elevate him over rush. or they can activate all three. you're talking about him as the emergency qb which he doesn't have to be if they infact wanted to get him game time.

Hardline

Reaction score
again. they can elevate him over rush. or they can activate all three. you're talking about him as the emergency qb which he doesn't have to be if they infact wanted to get him game time.
They can elevate him but as the third on the depth chart the rule applies.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
My speculation is, Jerry trusts Mike so much with turning a QB into a player, and watching how much hes helped Dak improve this year, Jerry got Trey Lance as a flip project. Have Mike fix him, then flip him for premo picks to a desperate team.

It shows how much Jerry believe in Mike.
I just assumed he was gonna be cheaper than Rush down the road.

rambo2

Reaction score
My speculation is, Jerry trusts Mike so much with turning a QB into a player, and watching how much hes helped Dak improve this year, Jerry got Trey Lance as a flip project. Have Mike fix him, then flip him for premo picks to a desperate team.

It shows how much Jerry believe in Mike.
They would like to keep him if they can work out a deal.

Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if we see him get some playing time towards the end of the season after we have home field locked up

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
UFA QBs in 2024:
Kirk Cousins (35)
Ryan Tannehill (35)
Marcus Mariota (30)
Sam Darnold (26)
Jameis WInston (30)
Drew Lock (27)
Baker Mayfield (28)
Gardner Minshew (27)
Josh Dobbs (28)

***Trey Lance (23). Where does Trey fit?

Potential Drafted QBs:
Caleb Williams (23)
Bo Nix (25)
Jayden Daniels (22)
Michael Penix (23)
Sam Hartman (24)
JJ McCarthy (20)
Quinn Ewers (20)

Trey Lance has minimal NFL experience, but may be the most coached up QB in the league right now. And there's no doubt he's learning under Dak/MM in Dallas

IMO, Trey has decent value b/c of his age. He can still give a team 5-8+ seasons easily.