Trey Lance is a flip-for-profit?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They would have to provide evidence that he is "fixed" which won't happen if he never plays. Every time you see a flipped QB like Matt Cassle, it comes after they perform well in fill in duty.
Not true at all. He’ll play a lot next preseason plus there’s plenty of film on him from his SF days.

Majic

Reaction score
Next year Lance will be the backup.

Right now you just gotta let McCarthy do what he does with these QBs.
No guarantee of that happening. Cowboys need to see something first. Starting in practices and then transcending into pre-season games

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I'd play him against Washington if we can't advance our playoff seeding.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No guarantee of that happening. Cowboys need to see something first. Starting in practices and then transcending into pre-season games
It doesn’t take much to get a backup job and he’s show enough as a starter to be a backup in the NFL.

Eddie

Reaction score
If you're gonna flip him, you gotta do it at the end of this year.

Next year, he's due $5 mil. He's then a UFA. He's not taking anything less than $10 mil a year. Half a dozen teams would happily pay him that money or more.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Why oh why is it so difficult for some CZ members to accept Lance as an insurance policy with starter potential? Sure Dak has earned the starting job a long time ago and based on his performance this season he will get extended. But yes he's 30 and his mobility is vital to his performance. Which is why Dak's likelihood for injury goes up the longer he plays. Cooper Rush, while having a track record for winning games is not the QB you want if Dak suffered a season ending injury. So it made sense for the Cowboys to invest in a QB with more upside potential.

I really hope this sinks in, but I doubt it.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They would have to provide evidence that he is "fixed" which won't happen if he never plays. Every time you see a flipped QB like Matt Cassle, it comes after they perform well in fill in duty.
I would assume he’ll have to spot start a game or so in the next few years.

Getting him some serious burn in preseason could do the trick for a very QB needy team too.

If they could flip him for a 3rd or 2nd (assuming Dak continues his current level of play), that would be a pretty good return on investment.

plasticman

Reaction score
In order for Trey Lance to have legitimate trade value, he would have to perform at a high level for a significant amount of time. I would say three games.

It would have to be a situation similar to Cooper Rush last season. Rush started five games and the team went 5-1 during that period.

Of course, in order for this to happen, Dak would have to be seriously injured long enough for Lance to start those 2-5 games.

There is the possible scenario it would backfire with Dak out long enough for Lance to establish himself like Dak did when replacing Romo in 2016. It's not an impossibility that Dak would be the one traded.

In my opinion, this is the best opportunity for the Cowboys to have two starting caliber QB's on their roster. t's very rare when a backup QB has the skill set equal to a starter..

GMO415

Reaction score
My speculation is, Jerry trusts Mike so much with turning a QB into a player, and watching how much hes helped Dak improve this year, Jerry got Trey Lance as a flip project. Have Mike fix him, then flip him for premo picks to a desperate team.

It shows how much Jerry believe in Mike.
Is it a coincidence that Dak's play greatly improved after Lance's arrival?

Lance was brought in to give Dak pause when he plans to ask for $60 million annually.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The way Dak is performing Jerry may be regretting trading for Trey Lance. I think Jerry saw him as another option in the event Dak continued to regress, and they didn’t want to extend him. Dak is positioning himself to be the highest paid QB in the league.

GMO415

Reaction score
The way Dak is performing Jerry may be regretting trading for Trey Lance. I think Jerry saw him as another option in the event Dak continued to regress, and they didn’t want to extend him. Dak is positioning himself to be the highest paid QB in the league.
That's one lucky daughter Dak has.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They got Lance for nothing and he’s got a ton of talent.

That was a smart trade.

Lance could not be in a better situation.

He’s young and has no pressure other than to perfect his technique.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They got Lance for nothing and he’s got a ton of talent.

That was a smart trade.

Lance could not be in a better situation.

He’s young and has no pressure other than to perfect his technique.
Trading a 4th round pick isn’t nothing. A lot of very good players have been drafted in the 4th round, including Dak and Ferguson. I wasn’t against the trade, but no one gives up a 4th round pick for a backup QB and that’s about the best we can hope for with Trey Lance. Anyone who thinks he’s going to end up supplanting Dak the way he’s ascended this season is going to end up wrong. If Lance gets an opportunity to play due to injury and plays well we might be able to trade him but getting more than what we gave up to get him isn’t likely.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There are scenarios where the last 2-3 weeks are generally meaningless games. He can come and play in relief those games and showcase capability.
That’s what I was thinking, although they have to make the conscious choice to either deactivate Rush or Dak, or dress one less kick coverage guy.

There’s also the idea of padding Dak stats to get MVP votes, so who knows how that may play out…although I don’t see how he is still in the running if our last two games are meaningless since we can’t do better than a wild card.

Either way, if we see Lance, something went very wrong between now and then.

Lodeus

Reaction score
He's 23 and has played like 10 games. The way people talk about him being such a bust I can't see why we cant keep him for 4 or 5 more years.