Trey Lance mop up duty?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Using a costly 4th round pick on a BUST of a way overrated QB is not good. This means the Cowboys have no 4th, 5th nor 6th round picks for next year's draft.
Two things wrong with this post.

First, how do you know Lance is a bust? We don't.

Secondly, the Cowboys have a 1,2,3,7,7 plus two comp picks (likely a 5 & 6) next year for a total of 7 draft picks.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys could let Lance play despite the two QB injured rule by declaring him active and not the "inactive" third passer. Of course that means sitting one more player at another position.

So if they really wanted to create some gadget plays for him they could do this. But I don't think they will.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Two things wrong with this post.

First, how do you know Lance is a bust? We don't.

Secondly, the Cowboys have a 1,2,3,7,7 plus two comp picks (likely a 5 & 6) next year for a total of 7 draft picks.
Really? You're going to disregard what Lance has proven to be in San Francisco? A BUST

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Something didn't click out there. Doesn't mean it won't in Dallas.
I don't know. Lance has been with the team since the end of preseason. If he is so much better, talent-wise, than noodle arm Cooper Rush, why hasn't Lance gotten some mop up duties in the 2-3 games Dak has come out of games early during blowouts?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
At what point do we want to see Trey Lance get a little playing time in a blowout? I felt the desire against the Giants. I realize he can’t go in unless one of the top two QBs get hurt. We know exactly what we have in Rush. It would be nice to see what he’s got. Surely he has a decent grasp of the offense by now.
Next year or the yr after.

quickccc

Reaction score
Next summer. That's been the answer every time this question gets asked.

Only way he is active on game day is if Dak or Cooper are injured.
Yep .. plus McCarthy is an Ole school coach ... he's not innovative enuff to developing a young buck
thru mop up regular season debuts - he's already having issues with being forced to play Cooks, dealing with
no running game,.. and problems in the OL.

Trey won't get into any mop up blowout wins this year, imo... it will have to come in preseason
and frankly he will have to " start" those preseason games - not coming in as a 3rd string QB, imo..

Prossman2

Reaction score
Id love to see him get some time this year, but,,, He has all the physical tools you could want. Can he process fast enough...Everybody knew he had to be developed coming out of college. 49ers coach didn't have time for that. We have all the time in the world. He is good enough now to be a backup. What if it clicks for him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not trying to bash Jerry or whatever but I’m still not sure what the plan is for Lance.

I can’t make sense of what the angle is from our end. Maybe one of you smarties can help me get it.

Hedge bet is my best guess, but I really don’t see how it adds up or what the thought process was when parting with a 4th round pick.
He wasn't acquired to play immediately, he was acquired as a high ceiling guy to develop. Rush is the backup this season - the veteran that knows the system, has won game before and will step in if Dak gets hurt. Next season will likely be different, and hopefully we will see enough from Lance that he will become the primary backup.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A costly 4th round pick for a BUST 3rd string QB?

:lmao: :laugh: :lmao:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
He may be a hell of a 3rd string QB, and after starting out the season and going through training camp with the Cowboys next year, he may be a hell of a 2nd teamer., with the ability to win games if forced into the starting role I don't have a problem using a 4th round pick to see if that can play out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He may be a hell of a 3rd string QB, and after starting out the season and going through training camp with the Cowboys next year, he may be a hell of a 2nd teamer., with the ability to win games if forced into the starting role I don't have a problem using a 4th round pick to see if that can play out.
Absolute horrible waste of a costly 4th round pick that could have been used on a position of need like an Olineman, WR, DT, LB or CB. We know you Dak critics are ecstatic with this dumb and ridiculous trade for Lance, but backup QB was never a spot of need. The other positions mentioned definitely are. Dak is signed through 2024. With the way he has been playing the best ever at the ripe age of 30, I guarantee you Dak is not going anywhere. He will get resigned for another 4-5 years extension which will make Lance a waste of a roster spot. Cowboys should be using their early-to-mid round draft picks on players who can play and contribute right now, not sit back and occupy a roster spot while collecting a paycheck and contributing absolutely nothing to the team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolute horrible waste of a costly 4th round pick that could have been used on a position of need like an Olineman, WR, DT, LB or CB. We know you Dak critics are ecstatic with this dumb and ridiculous trade for Lance, but backup QB was never a spot of need. The other positions mentioned definitely are. Dak is signed through 2024. With the way he has been playing the best ever at the ripe age of 30, I guarantee you Dak is not going anywhere. He will get resigned for another 4-5 years extension which will make Lance a waste of a roster spot. Cowboys should be using their early-to-mid round draft picks on players who can play and contribute right now, not sit back and occupy a roster spot while collecting a paycheck and contributing absolutely nothing to the team.
4th rounders are not shoo ins, and getting a developmental QB who is still very young with the skills of a 1st rounder is not an unreasonable trade off.

Remember what round Dak was drafted in? 4th ... lol. And he wasn't considered a shoo in by any means, plus he wasn't expected to be anything more than a 3rd string guy for a few years. .

The only notable knock on Trey Lance coming out of college was just that he didn't have an ideal amount of experience, but he was rated as having a high football IQ and great size and athleticism for the position.

As for Dak not going anywhere, that's probably true, but there is still a lot of value in a high level backup, and if he eventually proves to be capable of more than that he would become a great trading piece for the Cowboys.

Good teams don't ignore QB's in drafts even if they already have a good QB. Even with Brady as their QB, over the years NE still drafted QB's, even using 2nd and 3rd round picks on them

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
4th rounders are not shoo ins, and getting a developmental QB who is still very young with the skills of a 1st rounder is not an unreasonable trade off.

Remember what round Dak was drafted in? 4th ... lol. And he wasn't considered a shoo in by any means, plus he wasn't expected to be anything more than a 3rd string guy for a few years. .

The only notable knock on Trey Lance coming out of college was just that he didn't have an ideal amount of experience, but he was rated as having a high football IQ and great size and athleticism for the position.

As for Dak not going anywhere, that's probably true, but there is still a lot of value in a high level backup, and if he eventually proves to be capable of more than that he would become a great trading piece for the Cowboys.

Good teams don't ignore QB's in drafts even if they already have a good QB. Even with Brady as their QB, over the years NE still drafted QB's, even using 2nd and 3rd round picks on them
You're right. Except one thing, those few of us who followed Dak through his college years knew Dak was definitely starting material for the NFL, plus Dak was known to never give up his starter role once he got it. He's been that way since high school. He's simply that good. A weapon with both his arm and his feet, plus having the smarts to go along as well.

jujoboys

Reaction score
He can’t go in unless both QB’s get injured. He will stay the emergency QB all season barring injury.
Actually, Dallas has the option of having 3 QBs active on gameday. but it would take away an active player at another position. Also, if you have 3 active QBs on gameday you are not allowed 4th QB as an emergency QB. These are the 2 options that NFL teams have:

1) 48 active players on gameday with only 2 active players being QBs plus they are allowed to carry and emergency 3rd QB - 3rd QB can only play if first 2 are hurt and can't return to the game
2) 48 active players on gameday with 3 active players being QBs - No emergency 4th QB allowed - All 3 QBs can play when the team chooses

Dallas has opted for option 1 at this point for all games

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Actually, Dallas has the option of having 3 QBs active on gameday. but it would take away an active player at another position. Also, if you have 3 active QBs on gameday you are not allowed 4th QB as an emergency QB. These are the 2 options that NFL teams have:

1) 48 active players on gameday with only 2 active players being QBs plus they are allowed to carry and emergency 3rd QB - 3rd QB can only play if first 2 are hurt and can't return to the game
2) 48 active players on gameday with 3 active players being QBs - No emergency 4th QB allowed - All 3 QBs can play when the team chooses

Dallas has opted for option 1 at this point for all games
Every team has that option. We are talking about Lance being designated as the emergency QB here. I don’t see Dallas carrying three(active) at any point this season.