Twitter: Trey Lance trade was an abomination

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lance on the other hand, was given the starter job, then soon after was lost for the season.

His replacement came in and played very well, and that is why the 49ers moved on from him rather than because he couldn't do the job.
giphy.gif

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

I have no agenda when it comes to Dak so I am posting this simply to be informative.

I am also not sold on Lance and so far, I have not seen anything from him that gives me optimism that he's a future franchise quarterback.

That said, I am not pessimistic about him either. I think he just hasn't had time to show if he can be that guy.

The Cowboys traded for Lance for two reasons. One, to provide a fallback option should they lose Dak for the year to injury and two, to provide leverage and a backup plan for the team should Dak hold out or the Cowboys move on from him at some point.

A third reason is this also gave the Cowboys a top draft pick quarterback they could coach and trade later if necessary.

Now, on to the biggest point.

Those guys you listed have a LOT more game starts under their belt, so of course they are worth less trade-wise.

Those other players were replaced because they were given the starter job and after MANY games they proved they could not do it, at least for their respective teams.

Lance on the other hand, was given the starter job, then soon after was lost for the season.

His replacement came in and played very well, and that is why the 49ers moved on from him rather than because he couldn't do the job.

The 49ers smartly figured they could get more for him immediately rather than waiting it out another season.

I don't know if Lance is going to ever become a franchise quarterback and I don't know if Dak is going to be here in 2025 or for the next several years.

What I do know is that unlike 99% of the moves the Cowboys have made with regards to quarterbacks since drafting Aikman, trading a 4th for Lance last season was one of their better moves in my opinion regardless of how it works out.
Best post I read today.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I noted that. He thinks that puts him in cool kids klub.
I give zero credit to people who lecture others about "hate" and then do that nonsense....like a child.
To AC, he does not want Dak to have any competition, that is why Dak gets pampered on this forum by him and a few others. Trey may or may not work out, but sooner than later, Dak is gone...for good.

Steve007

Reaction score
So I provide you a video of a podcast literally being taped in The Star by three reporters who cover the team, two very closely, who go on record that they do not hear anything good about Trey Lance behind the scenes from coaches/staff unlike the whispers they heard about Romo/Dak in their early years and you totally discount it? What exactly is your read of what they said in that clip?

Where did I say Lance was bad in practice? Re-read the op.
They didn't say they hard anything bad about lance. They said they didn't hear anything. You don't make a statemantent of fact based on somthing you didn't hear. He basically said that he didn't hear any reports that lance was doing great so he assumes he must be bad.

J12B

Reaction score
We paid the most for the QB who has done the least from that ‘21 draft.

Lance has reportedly shown little to nothing in practice so far in his time in Dallas.

We won’t have a 4th round pick in a draft where gurus are saying there will be plenty of 3rd round grades available in the 4th rd.

To put a cherry on top, we’re probably going to end up losing Lance for nothing after this season.

Shambolic front office.

It's because "potential" is still there with Lance since he's played so little.

Everyone knows the ceiling of the other guys.

Although I thought Fields was worth more than a 6th round pick.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I noted that. He thinks that puts him in cool kids klub.
I give zero credit to people who lecture others about "hate" and then do that nonsense....like a child.
Y'all know squat about football, so your opinions are for amusement. Thanks for the laughs.

Motorola

Reaction score
I hear you bro. This place is a lot like Jerry. Not very smart.
How many 4th round picks become starters on average? Serious question. Is it a number > 20%?

I heard it was less than like 10 out of 100 become NFL starters. If true giving up a 4th is not the end of the world..
Yet many CZers' responses over the previous six weeks - here in the Fan Zone, along with comments in the Draft Zone - want the FO to trade down a few spots from 24 (28th is the most preferred selection landing) to recoup that 4th round pick.
From what I've read - I'm guesstimating 2/3s to 70% of those weighing in prefer the Cowboys do that...JMO.

stiletto

Reaction score
Yet many CZers' responses over the previous six weeks - here in the Fan Zone, along with comments in the Draft Zone - want the FO to trade down a few spots from 24 (28th is the most preferred selection landing) to recoup that 4th round pick.
From what I've read - I'm guesstimating 2/3s to 70% of those weighing in prefer the Cowboys do that...JMO.
I don't get the boohoo-ing over a late 4th round draft pick. The Cowboys don't even know how to upgrade people with 2nd round picks much less late 4th's...sheesh.

Big_D

Reaction score
Ok...fine. but why zero criticism of the cost of that pick?
Because they didn’t miss a beat, they took a gamble and it didn’t work out. Now imagine Jerry did the same thing. He wouldn’t know to cut his losses and he’d be the starter for a decade. I don’t care about the niners that’s why I don’t care what they gave up. But it’s still a stacked roster so there’s a huge difference on how both teams are run. If the shoe was on the other foot, Jerry would get the credit. But here we are instead an even bigger mess than usual.

starfan1

Reaction score
when i do a mock simulater I trade down every time it will let me. Im trying to grab a late 3rd or 4th

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We paid the most for the QB who has done the least from that ‘21 draft.

Lance has reportedly shown little to nothing in practice so far in his time in Dallas.

We won’t have a 4th round pick in a draft where gurus are saying there will be plenty of 3rd round grades available in the 4th rd.

To put a cherry on top, we’re probably going to end up losing Lance for nothing after this season.

Shambolic front office.

Those four QBs are just a small example of how hard it is to find a franchise QB. Two of them were top 5 picks within the past 4 years. A majority of this fan base would have taken any one of them over Dak when they were drafted.

Last edited:

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Not even. More like sad and frustrated for the team. Look where we're at now because of such a dumb and unnecessary trade, especially after realizing the Cowboys would have to pay Trance $5 million to remain on the roster but on the sidelines for all of 2024 and be paid $23 million if his 5th year option was exercised (which Jerry recently said they wouldn't, thus meaning Trance is most likely going to neglect any backup role job when instead he will look for a starting opportunity with much higher pay elsewhere). Just plain dumb move all the way around.
5 million to stay on the roster is nothing... Once Dak is gone after this year, pay Lance is 23 mil for his 5 year option and he can start until we find his replacement .It's better than paying 60 million for a QB that would be a backup for any other team...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Correct, we need to try something else.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. ' According to a large number of inspirational mugs and posters, this famous quote comes from none other than Albert Einstein.
I've always taken exception to this quote and here is why. There are several notable exceptions to the so called rule.

1) If I hit a brick wall with a pick ax in exactly the same spot with exactly the same force over and over I will eventually break through that brick wall.

2) If I aim enough water at a structure that structure will eventually collapse. It doesn't even have to be a powerful stream of water. It can just be enough to cause corrosion. Add in a little sea salt and the structure doesn't stand a chance. Eventually it WILL succumb.

All of this is to say that pecking away at a problem is a perfectly legitimate approach. Provided of course one has the time and patience to wait for the eventual outcome. The problem with most fans is lack that patience so we want immediate results and if we don't see them we attack the team, the front office or the players, the trainers, the team doctors even the cheerleaders for not giving us what we want.

I am in no way defending the Joneses or the Cowboys or Dak or anybody else on or associated with the team. Just trying to offer a little different perspective. I have been fortunate enough to seen all of the Cowboys' championship runs as well as the near misses. I gotta admit that these early playoff exits hurt way less than the Super Bowl or NFC Championship game losses. If we aint gonna win the damn thing then I think I'd rather we just give a good accounting of ourselves and bow out in the divisional round. I don't know that my heart could take another Super Bowl loss at my age!! To say nothing of a heartbreaking last minute NFC Championship game loss which sends one of our hated rivals to the Big Dance? No thank you..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Those four QBs are just a small example of how hard it is to find a franchise QB. Two of them were top 5 picks within the past 4 years. A majority of this fan base would have taken any one of them over Dak when they were drafted.
You really think it would have been a majority? I can't believe more than half our fans are that stupid..