Trey Lance Will Start And Play Entire Game Vs Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Who is he playing with? Are they giving the starters a couple series?

If he's only playing with bottom of the roster against bottom of the roster, it's great he's getting reps but probably not going to tell us a lot.

starfan1

Reaction score
Every "Dallas Cowboy Fan" should be hoping the same thing. But then again, some are just fans of one person.
and some just hate that one person and want anybody else even if its a downgrade. it goes both ways. I like Lance and his mobility but the other aspects of his game need to get better and against solid comp. If those things happen its encouraging.

Then all we need is the run game and run d to improve because those are 2 aspects of this team that will be our downfall with Patrick Mahomes at the helm. any Dallas fan should hope for all those things

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The big news would have been if Lance wasn't playing the whole game.
Thats what im thinking, If he does lights out then maybe he can change the depth chart, but the fact he is playing in the game reserved for the guys fighting for a roster spot seems to me its Rush job to lose.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree with what you said except "No way is Jerry going to make a decision on Dak based on what he thinks Trey Lance will be"... Watch him... it's Jerry you are talking about, not a real GM.
Mark my words, he is not going to make a decision on Dak’s contract based on what he thinks or hopes Trey Lance will be 2 years from now. Lance has been working with the Cowboys for a full year. What we’ve seen from him in training camp so far is a lot of why the 49ers moved on from him after only two years. He couldn’t win the backup job in San Francisco and right now he’s struggling to win the backup job with the Cowboys. When Jerry moved on from Romo after the 2016 season, he did so because Dak played outstanding during the regular season, leading the Cowboys to the number one seed in the NFC. Lance should be a lot farther along than he is. This is his fourth NFL training camp and he’s had 4 career regular season starts.

He looked like a rookie playing in his first NFL game in the preseason opener. He’s very apprehensive about taking shots down the field. All we’re seeing is a lot of passes underneath and out in the flat. He had issues with overthrows. The only real impressive thing about him is his mobility. I’m pulling for him but he’s going to have to get an opportunity during the regular season and take full advantage of it with some great performances to have any shot of being our QB of the future. I just don’t see him being the answer. Maybe as a backup, but certainly not as our starter. That’s just being honest.

stiletto

Reaction score
Mark my words, he is not going to make a decision on Dak’s contract based on what he thinks or hopes Trey Lance will be 2 years from now. Lance has been working with the Cowboys for a full year. What we’ve seen from him in training camp so far is a lot of why the 49ers moved on from him after only two years. He couldn’t win the backup job in San Francisco and right now he’s struggling to win the backup job with the Cowboys. When Jerry moved on from Romo after the 2016 season, he did so because Dak played outstanding during the regular season, leading the Cowboys to the number one seed in the NFC. Lance should be a lot farther along than he is. This is his fourth NFL training camp and he’s had 4 career regular season starts.

He looked like a rookie playing in his first NFL game in the preseason opener. He’s very apprehensive about taking shots down the field. All we’re seeing is a lot of passes underneath and out in the flat. The only real impressive thing about him is his mobility. I’m pulling for him but he’s going to have to get an opportunity during the regular season and take full advantage of it with some great performances to have any shot of being our QB of the future. I just don’t see him being the answer. Maybe as a backup, but certainly not as our starter. That’s just being honest.
I'm NOT a Lance defender. He looks like Quincy to me. I just don't think the Cowboys are going to re-sign Dak either. The goal is going to be to find the QB of the future whether it is Lance or not. They may draft a guy and bridge with a cheaper solution like Seattle did with Geno. I am skeptical that it will be Lance as the future. Just need to see if he keeps improving. So you are preaching to the choir there.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Trey Lance is not under contract for 2025...\

If Trey Lance had blown the doors off the preseason, then they could have traded Dak.
- I can see Lance becoming a starter somewhere in 2025; however, probably not in 2024.

If he starts games this season and performs well, his agent will want the going rate for a young starting QB in 2025.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Every "Dallas Cowboy Fan" should be hoping the same thing. But then again, some are just fans of one person.
I hope he excels too.

So they can try and make back the waste of a 4th round pick they wasted trying to gain leverage over Dak.

If the plan is to extend Dak. Which it seems like it is if you listen to the FO babbling about it constantly then the trade was silly. As was sitting out of FA all together.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm NOT a Lance defender. He looks like Quincy to me. I just don't think the Cowboys are going to re-sign Dak either. The goal is going to be to find the QB of the future whether it is Lance or not. They may draft a guy and bridge with a cheaper solution like Seattle did with Geno. I am skeptical that it will be Lance as the future. Just need to see if he keeps improving. So you are preaching to the choir there.
We agree he looks a lot like Quincy Carter and I’m sure both the Joneses see that but they’re going to give him every opportunity because he was such a high draft pick and they invested a fourth round pick on him. My argument is that nothing he does in preseason is going to have an affect on Dak’s contract. That’s been the debate we’re having. If the Cowboys don’t re-sign Dak it’s because they can’t come to an agreement. They made offers to him, but he’s not accepting them. He’s got a ton of leverage and could make more money in free agency than the Cowboys can pay him. The Cowboys have a huge dilemma, having to try and figure out how to re-sign Dak and CeeDee. Parsons could be holding out next training camp looking for a deal that could be similar to what Dak received a few years ago. If anyone thinks if Dak walks it was the Cowboys decision, they’re going to be very wrong. They’re trying hard to get him extended, but it’s up to him. They have nothing behind him and they know it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take personal one-on-one gripes to private messages!

If you do NOT have private messages, you have ZERO options!

Use the Report function OR sent a private message to the staff!

Again, if YOU do not have the private messaging option, you have ZERO options!

This is a one-time reminder!

stiletto

Reaction score
If anyone thinks if Dak walks it was the Cowboys decision, they’re going to be very wrong. They’re trying hard to get him extended, but it’s up to him. They have nothing behind him and they know it.
I think it COULD be a mutual decision but who knows? The Cowboys have never really shown Dak a lot of love when it comes to getting him resigned "quickly". Romo seemed to get his contracts without issues.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it COULD be a mutual decision but who knows? The Cowboys have never really shown Dak a lot of love when it comes to getting him resigned "quickly". Romo seemed to get his contracts without issues.
Both Romo extensions included six-year terms. That may have played a factor in how quickly the contracts were agreed to. It may not be the correct assumption on my part but I think front offices are more likely to sign off on an agreement if compensation can be distributed over a longer timeframe.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Both Romo extensions included six-year terms. That may have played a factor in how quickly the contracts were agreed to. It may not be the correct assumption on my part but I think front offices are more likely to sign off on an agreement if compensation can be distributed over a longer timeframe.
i think that was basically the norm in Romo's era and your probably 100% correct

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t believe it’s a mutual decision because like I said, we have nothing viable behind Dak. He’s one of the top QBs in the league whether Cowboys fans want to admit it or not. The Joneses are well aware of what could happen if we’re stuck without a QB. The reason they haven’t been able to re-sign Dak quickly is because we’ve had cap issues and he doesn’t want to agree to a contract. They make offers, but he won’t agree. The first time around the length of the contract was a big problem. If they didn’t want him they wouldn’t make offers. It’s a dilemma when you have three players that want to reset the market.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don’t believe it’s a mutual decision because like I said, we have nothing viable behind Dak. He’s one of the top QBs in the league whether Cowboys fans want to admit it or not. The Joneses are well aware of what could happen if we’re stuck without a QB. The reason they haven’t been able to re-sign Dak quickly is because we’ve had cap issues and he doesn’t want to agree to a contract. They make offers, but he won’t agree. The first time around the length of the contract was a big problem. If they didn’t want him they wouldn’t make offers. It’s a dilemma when you have three players that want to reset the market.
I am just not sure if the FO has as high of an opinion on Dak as you think they do. I could be wrong but I just get the sense that they are as done with Dak as he is with them. They are ready to find a new QB whether they have no one or not. We will see..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who is he playing with? Are they giving the starters a couple series?

If he's only playing with bottom of the roster against bottom of the roster, it's great he's getting reps but probably not going to tell us a lot.
Still we can tell is he reading a defense. Does he go through progression of the reads. Is he accurate?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I am just not sure if the FO has as high of an opinion on Dak as you think they do. I could be wrong but I just get the sense that they are as done with Dak as he is with them. They are ready to find a new QB whether they have no one or not. We will see..
they offered him 55 mill a year, or they leaked it to the media....i dont think this is a mutual breakup...not saying it shouldn't be, but what Jerry is doing is no diferent than what he has done the whole time.. Dak on the other hand doesnt sound remotley the same as he has the last 8 years..

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
Yup, it's called a rebuild. Every pro sports team has to go through that process at one point or another so who cares if he leaves. We've had enough of this middle of the pack mediocrity with zero playoff results and that's the only thing we'll ever get with Dak, time to suck it up and find a real franchise QB in the draft. I'd rather be bottom 5 for a decade than endure one more year of that garbage.

Also Lance could be the solution, way too early to write him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.