Trey Lance Will Start And Play Entire Game Vs Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiletto

Reaction score
The only thing that would impact Dak’s contract situation is if he were to remain unsigned during the regular season and Lance gets an opportunity to play due to injury and plays well. If Lance were to light it up and lead us to a win in a regular season game that could change a lot of things. Playing well against a bunch of scrubs trying to make a team in the final preseason game certainly isn’t going to sway Jerry. Lance hasn’t even overtaken Cooper Rush yet because he hasn’t looked very good in training camp.
I think it does affect Dak's contract if Jerry/braintrust think Lance is a viable option for maybe not next year but the year after. They can always roll with a 1 yr rental next year or even Rush with plans for Lance still in 2026.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think it does affect Dak's contract if Jerry/braintrust think Lance is a viable option for maybe not next year but the year after. They can always roll with a 1 yr rental next year or even Rush with plans for Lance still in 2026.
i would hope then in that scenario that they would just roll with trey lance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They are not actively working on a deal, so they say.... because Dak wants x amount. When the time comes fo rthem to be serious, lets see what Dak does.
He’s not holding them hostage what if both parties simply want to move on? Both sides know what it will take to get it done….im left to believe maybe they don’t want to get it done.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He’s not holding them hostage what if both parties simply want to move on? Both sides know what it will take to get it done….im left to believe maybe they don’t want to get it done.
Jerry offered Dak a contract, he has not accepted, so they are in a stalemate.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What Lance does in this final preseason game will have ZERO affect on what the Cowboys do with Dak. By all accounts Lance hasn’t looked good in training camp. He’s had major problems with accuracy. He didn’t play well in the first preseason game and although he played better in the second preseason game, it wasn’t a great performance. If Lance isn’t a viable option next year, he’ll likely be gone. Next year will be his 5th NFL season. No way is Jerry going to make a decision on Dak based on what he thinks Trey Lance will be two years from now. Lance has shown enough so far for the team to continue to try and develop him but he’s still behind Cooper Rush. Until we see Lance in a regular season game, we won’t know if he’s even a capable backup.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
And, Dak is going to call the plays. Who knows what his intentions might be? He could actually make Lance look like crap if he wanted to.
Dak had kind of turned into an egotistical (insert whatever word you want), but I don't see him being so petty as to derail the career of a guy he's taken under his wing. Dak will get paid a ton of money within the next 9 months. If the playcalling sucks, I'd imagine it'll be because Dak sucks at calling plays. Nothing more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry offered Dak a contract, he has not accepted, so they are in a stalemate.
Offering him a deal under value doesn’t mean you want someone. Could very well offer him a deal just to say he can save face. He knows the number Dak wants. He doesn’t want him it seems. Just gotta pray Lance hits his potential because Rush is limited.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak had kind of turned into an egotistical (insert whatever word you want), but I don't see him being so petty as to derail the career of a guy he's taken under his wing. Dak will get paid a ton of money within the next 9 months. If the playcalling sucks, I'd imagine it'll be because Dak sucks at calling plays. Nothing more.
Yeah people who can feel how they want about Dak as a choker but he’s not gonna sabotage Lance in a preseason game. It’s a meaningless game to the point Rush won’t play lol.

stiletto

Reaction score
What Lance does in this final preseason game will have ZERO affect on what the Cowboys do with Dak. By all accounts Lance hasn’t looked good in training camp. He’s had major problems with accuracy. He didn’t play well in the first preseason game and although he played better in the second preseason game, it wasn’t a great performance. If Lance isn’t a viable option next year, he’ll likely be gone. Next year will be his 5th NFL season. No way is Jerry going to make a decision on Dak based on what he thinks Trey Lance will be two years from now. Lance has shown enough so far for the team to continue to try and develop him but he’s still behind Cooper Rush. Until we see Lance in a regular season game, we won’t know if he’s even a capable backup.
I agree with what you said except "No way is Jerry going to make a decision on Dak based on what he thinks Trey Lance will be"... Watch him... it's Jerry you are talking about, not a real GM.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Kudos to McCarthy as well. Favre, Rodgers, Prescott playing his best season last year. The coach has a track record for getting the most out of a QB. Lance was fortunate to get traded to the Cowboys IMO.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Lance will eventually be the guy, but it will take injury or absolutely horrid play for him to take over before next season.
I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. (That Lance is the starting QB part of this or next year).
So what's the deal then, lance takes over next year - is he franchise tagged ? Cause Dallas refused his 5th year option, or you have to sign him to a QB deal which would start at 30 mill plus.
And if you don't sign Dak, Dallas is on the hook for his 40 mill dead cap hit. No way out of that.
They have screwed the pooch for the last 4-5 years with Daks contracts.
Jones boy's are definitely not smartest in any room...

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The playoff losses hurt Jerry.

Plus all the money spent on Dak…

Dak made Jerry Man-Cry.

Brutal
I think Jerry isgoing back to getting the QBcheap, as he lucked into undrafted - Romo, 4thround - Dak, ow he spent another 4th round on Trey he would liketo see if he can start and be relevant, thats all he needs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The game starts at 4, and I'm planning on going to church at 430 that day (then again, I've got a nasty illness atm). But, I'll watch what I can tomorrow, and, what I can't watch, I'll watch later.

stiletto

Reaction score
i would hope then in that scenario that they would just roll with trey lance.
Or they draft a guy. It could happen if they don't think Lance is the future. I do not see them getting into another contract mess with Dak at this point especially given his big game performances. Makes no sense to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.