Trey Lance Will Start And Play Entire Game Vs Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiletto

Reaction score
they offered him 55 mill a year, or they leaked it to the media....i dont think this is a mutual breakup...not saying it shouldn't be, but what Jerry is doing is no diferent than what he has done the whole time.. Dak on the other hand doesnt sound remotley the same as he has the last 8 years..
Well if you make an offer to a guy that you know his camp won't accept. Is it still an good faith offer? You can save face with an offer that's "just under" what you know they want couldn't you? Then say "well he just wanted too much".

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Who is he playing with? Are they giving the starters a couple series?

If he's only playing with bottom of the roster against bottom of the roster, it's great he's getting reps but probably not going to tell us a lot.
He played with our backups against the Raiders starters in the first half and looked good.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I am just not sure if the FO has as high of an opinion on Dak as you think they do. I could be wrong but I just get the sense that they are as done with Dak as he is with them. They are ready to find a new QB whether they have no one or not. We will see..
I think they’re really high on him because he’s been excellent during the regular season and again they have nothing behind him. He has a couple of playoff wins and it’s going to be hard to find a castoff available that has even one playoff win or even a playoff start. If anyone is done with anyone, it’s Dak being done with the Cowboys. I’m not sure he wants to remain with the team. I think he’s tired of the fan abuse and would like a fresh start somewhere else. If the Joneses were done with him, they wouldn’t be making the comments they have. Jerry was asked if he thought this would be Dak’s last year with the team and he said he didn’t believe it would be. Stephen said they’re negotiating with Dak but it’s going to be up to him. That’s exactly the situation, it’s going to be up to Dak whether he returns after this season. I firmly believe it will be his decision. He’s going to have a lot of options if he becomes a free agent.

stiletto

Reaction score
If the Joneses were done with him, they wouldn’t be making the comments they have. Jerry was asked if he thought this would be Dak’s last year with the team and he said he didn’t believe it would be. Stephen said they’re negotiating with Dak but it’s going to be up to him.
Since when do you believe everything Big and Little Enos say? They're not going to come out and say "we're kinda done with Dak". They'll wait until FA and say "well, he was just too expensive for where we wanna go" or something dumb like that.

He wouldn't be getting to FA if the they REALLY wanted him. Jerry always gets HIS pet cats...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well if you make an offer to a guy that you know his camp won't accept. Is it still an good faith offer? You can save face with an offer that's "just under" what you know they want couldn't you? Then say "well he just wanted too much".
I mean what we are discussing is does Jerry have a "Master Plan" or is he flying by the seat of his pants...not going to argue if you believe Jerry has one..i dont believe it for a minute....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yup, it's called a rebuild. Every pro sports team has to go through that process at one point or another so who cares if he leaves. We've had enough of this middle of the pack mediocrity with zero playoff results and that's the only thing we'll ever get with Dak, time to suck it up and find a real franchise QB in the draft. I'd rather be bottom 5 for a decade than endure one more year of that garbage.

Also Lance could be the solution, way too early to write him off.
No one wants to rebuild at QB when they have one of the top 10 QBs in the league unless they absolutely have no choice. We may end up with no choice. If fans are looking for a better QB than Dak, that can get this team to a Super Bowl, Trey Lance isn’t going to be the solution. If some of you want to hold onto that hope go ahead.

stiletto

Reaction score
I mean what we are discussing is does Jerry have a "Master Plan" or is he flying by the seat of his pants...not going to argue if you believe Jerry has one..i dont believe it for a minute....
I'm actually sure they have a plan. Now is it a dumb or smart plan? we'll see. I lean towards dumb. haha

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Since when do you believe everything Big and Little Enos say? They're not going to come out and say "we're kinda done with Dak". They'll wait until FA and say "well, he was just too expensive for where we wanna go" or something dumb like that.

He wouldn't be getting to FA if the they REALLY wanted him. Jerry always gets HIS pet cats...
It’s not just them that are saying it. It’s everyone who follows the team. If the team wasn’t negotiating with him, that information would be leaked. Dak’s representatives would be confirming it. If they were done with Dak, Jerry, could’ve simply said, we’ll have to see when asked if he thought this would be Dak’s last season. He always says it takes two sides to make a deal. Stephen said it’s going to be up to Dak. He’s the one who’s holding everything up. The Joneses said they’re trying to get a deal done with him before the start of the regular season and I believe they’re trying. The last thing they want to do is go through a QB carousel beginning in 2025.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think that was basically the norm in Romo's era and your probably 100% correct
Joe Burrow. 5 years (link)
Trevor Lawrence, 5 years (link)
Jordan Love, 4 years (link)
Tua Tagovailoa, 4 years (link)
Justin Herbert, 5 years (link)
Lamar Jackson, 5 years (link)
Jalen Hurts, 5 years (link)
Kyler Murray, 5 years (link)
Deshaun Watson, 5 years (link)
Jared Goff, 4 years (link)

Term years have definitely decreased in the post-Romo era. Patrick Mahomes' term extension (link) is an outlier. That said, 5-years seems a bit more the 'norm' than 4-years. It would be interesting to compare how long actual negotiations progressed between the different contracts before they were agreed to.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree with what you said except "No way is Jerry going to make a decision on Dak based on what he thinks Trey Lance will be"... Watch him... it's Jerry you are talking about, not a real GM.
Of course Lance is going to be a factor. They've been watching the kid develop up close for a year now. It's not much of a stretch to say they know what they have, and what he brings to the table.

I doubt he'd be the sole factor in any decision, but if he can manage the offense and score points, he makes the decision to move on much easier.

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
No one wants to rebuild at QB when they have one of the top 10 QBs in the league unless they absolutely have no choice. We may end up with no choice. If fans are looking for a better QB than Dak, that can get this team to a Super Bowl, Trey Lance isn’t going to be the solution. If some of you want to hold onto that hope go ahead.
Yeah right, 60M+/year for meaningless wins against dogwater teams and the worst playoff record of all time. Great deal, sign me up.

You've already given up on Lance but you're still supporting a known fraud after 9 years of garbage time stat padding and playoff stinkers, weird. Personally, I'd rather give him a few years to improve and show what he can do than break the bank for a known choke artist. If it doesn't work out too bad -- you blow it up, rack up high picks and draft a real franchise QB. It's been long enough, time to try something different.

Worst-case scenario we draft a bust and keep losing for a few more years. Not the end of the world, start over. 5-12 bottom feeding seasons or 12-5 seasons that inevitably end with one of Dak's pathetic January showings, what's the difference?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah right, 60M+/year for meaningless wins against dogwater teams and the worst playoff record of all time. Great deal, sign me up.

You've already given up on Lance but you're still supporting a known fraud after 9 years of garbage time stat padding and playoff stinkers, weird. Personally, I'd rather give him a few years to improve and show what he can do than break the bank for a known choke artist. If it doesn't work out too bad -- you blow it up, rack up high picks and draft a real franchise QB. It's been long enough, time to try something different.

Worst-case scenario we draft a bust and keep losing for a few more years. Not the end of the world, start over. 5-12 bottom feeding seasons or 12-5 seasons that inevitably end with one of Dak's pathetic January showings, what's the difference?
If you want to rant about Dak find someone else. The topic is about Trey Lance.

stiletto

Reaction score

I've been down this road with KJJ. He's never going to agree with you. You are absolutely right though.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I've been down this road with KJJ. He's never going to agree with you. You are absolutely right though.
He may be but KJJ has an excellent point also..everyone wants to see a "Rebuild" of sorts, but not many would tell me the GM is good at building a team...those 2 things dont add up...do i want Dak to stay..no not really, do i think the current GM can find and build around a better QB, well i have 28 years that tells me..no not really...

stiletto

Reaction score
He may be but KJJ has an excellent point also..everyone wants to see a "Rebuild" of sorts, but not many would tell me the GM is good at building a team...those 2 things dont add up...do i want Dak to stay..no not really, do i think the current GM can find and build around a better QB, well i have 28 years that tells me..no not really...
Most teams don't do full on rebuilds anymore. They are soft-rebuilds as they try to dump salary and find their QB. Next year they will be moving on from several older guys and large salaries. I'm guessing they'll hope to clear the cap but still provide weapons for a new/young QB by 2026. Only player I think might be worth the $$ is CeeDee or any of the young OL and Ferguson. A young QB will need CeeDee, Fergy and the young OL. It's shaping up nice the way these draft picks are looking.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Most teams don't do full on rebuilds anymore. They are soft-rebuilds as they try to dump salary and find their QB. Next year they will be moving on from several older guys and large salaries. I'm guessing they'll hope to clear the cap but still provide weapons for a new/young QB by 2026. Only player I think might be worth the $$ is CeeDee or any of the young OL and Ferguson. A young QB will need CeeDee, Fergy and the young OL. It's shaping up nice the way these draft picks are looking.
i get that thats why i said of sort, but what we are saying is maybe Jerry can get "Lucky" on the next QB and build around him....Romo: All Pro UDFA for 8 years...Dak : All Pro 4th round "Fall back plan" for 8 years...how much luckier can Jerry get with QB's? They both had very low cap hits at times and the GM couldn't push the team through with solid QB play...

stiletto

Reaction score
i get that thats why i said of sort, but what we are saying is maybe Jerry can get "Lucky" on the next QB and build around him....Romo: All Pro UDFA for 8 years...Dak : All Pro 4th round "Fall back plan" for 8 years...how much luckier can Jerry get with QB's? They both had very low cap hits at times and the GM couldn't push the team through with solid QB play...
They totally lucked into Romo/Dak back to back but at some point (almost a decade for each) you gotta move on if you know they can't get you over the hump. We've never had McClay around to help find a QB have we? Might be time to let the past go.

A lot of teams are having better luck finding young QB's. We have to try at some point and I get that it is hard to let go for many. People have PTSD from the post-Aikman years. Some people would be afraid to move off Dak for another 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.