Twitter: Trey Wingo said it best about Dak and any upcoming draft QBs

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes and watched Dak Prescott butcher the last drive against the Packers in the 2016 play offs when he brainlessly spiked the ball with the game at his mercy.

The Packers D were gassed, their secondary consisted of guys off the street, the game was there for the taking yet we spiked the ball giving them time to recharge the batteries, regroup, sort out their defensive play calling and ultimately provide Rodgers with enough time to win the game...Smart.

A rookie QB has never won the Superbowl yet the powers that be decided to leave out Romo...arguably cost us reaching the Superbowl as we really had the roster that season given how amazing the offensive line played along with home field advantage.

Yet some people enjoy the team being unsuccessful so yes let's celebrate.

Some so called fans are most odd.
LMAO!!!! Romosexualism to the core! :lmao:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But here's the problem. One can conclude that Dak has a ceiling and he's hit it. So now what you are weighing here is taking a chance on a rookie with a high ceiling OR paying Dak an elite contract and he's not an elite QB.

Sure it's risky but it's a question this team should be asking themselves. They should not be afraid of making the tough call here. Note, I am not saying you dump Prescott for sure.......... I am just saying that this isn't as easy as you think especially when you factor into account the fact that we might be staring at making Prescott the highest paid QB in the league.
Who can conclude that Dak has hit his ceiling? His first season with proper coaching he had arguably his best season. And that’s with Garrett’s playbook. If Dak has hit his ceiling they need to let him walk. But it’s rare for a 26 year old quarterback hits his ceiling that early.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Only a fool would let go of Dak for what it would take to even aquire Burrow.

You would get a ton of cap space plus potentially much much better QB play.

You free up all that cap space and you allow yourself to buy a veteran defense and keep building on what you have offensively.

I love our chances of building the team that way vs signing Dak and barely upgrading the team each offseason with rookies and scrub FAs.

It's bizarre to lock ourselves into players that have almost no playoff success for these types of deals.

Adreme

Reaction score
You would get a ton of cap space plus potentially much much better QB play.

You free up all that cap space and you allow yourself to buy a veteran defense and keep building on what you have offensively.

I love our chances of building the team that way vs signing Dak and barely upgrading the team each offseason with rookies and scrub FAs.

It's bizarre to lock ourselves into players that have almost no playoff success for these types of deals.

Potentially better but statistically he will be worse. You may save money on QB but then you have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks for 3 years (and probably 4th to be honest). That means you have to go out and pay extra to acquire the depth you would have had anyway so you don't actually save money.

Swagger

Reaction score
It was even more loaded in 2014......by 2016 Witten and Dez were done.

Romo played well in 2014 - arguably should have been the MVP during the regular season and was very good in both post season games against the Lions and the Packers. In reality nothing more he could have done. People can criticise him for boneheaded plays in the past but not 2014.

The state of the 2014 defense. Our best defender, Sean Lee, missed the entire season.

2016 had better defensive players, we had some guys off the street on D in 2014.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas fans have been unrewarded and spoiled with mediocrity for the last 24 years.
No the Cowboys fans who lived through the Campo years weren't spoiled at all.
Fans who suffered through that are very understanding of why you pay QBs.
A team with guys who had won Super Bowls were now winning 5 games.
Not having a QB is far worse than mediocrity.

Fans love to call that middle of the road performance awful but they are very wrong.
Winning 4-5 games and knowing week in and week out you will lose is far worse.
Wasting time watching a team full of guys who all have to be replaced for you to ever win anything... far worse.

Fans of the team who entered during Romo years are spoiled.
Team was competitive to good almost yearly.

When a fan base doesn't even mention winning division titles anymore they are spoiled.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Not was I was getting at in that post.
I was saying that a big contract extension to your QB is not going to improve a team's chances of winning the SB just because he is happier financially.

Has nothing to do with how happy he is. It's payment for his services. If someone else offers a better deal they will get his services. Then we will get to go through the awesomely fun process of finding a good or better qb through the draft or free agency.

Don't make it personal.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Potentially better but statistically he will be worse. You may save money on QB but then you have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks for 3 years (and probably 4th to be honest). That means you have to go out and pay extra to acquire the depth you would have had anyway so you don't actually save money.

Yeah i'm fine with that.

I just watched the Rams and Eagles in recent years give up a ton for a QB and make Superbowls. It's fine.

I would give up a Trysten Hill and Connor McGovern here and there for a Joe Burrow and Cap space.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who can conclude that Dak has hit his ceiling? His first season with proper coaching he had arguably his best season. And that’s with Garrett’s playbook. If Dak has hit his ceiling they need to let him walk. But it’s rare for a 26 year old quarterback hits his ceiling that early.

The team can conclude that. McCarthy and some of the new staff can come in and given an honest assessment of Dak to Jerry and Stephen.

Note, I am not saying that Dak has definitely hit his ceiling but the reality is what you see from Dak might be what you get for the rest of his career. He's entering his 5th year........... most QBs start hitting their stride right about now.

And you made my point when you said if Dak has hit his ceiling they need to let him walk. If that's what McCarthy concludes, there is no way we shuold be handing him a $35MM+ AAV contract.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yes and watched Dak Prescott butcher the last drive against the Packers in the 2016 play offs when he brainlessly spiked the ball with the game at his mercy.

The Packers D were gassed, their secondary consisted of guys off the street, the game was there for the taking yet we spiked the ball giving them time to recharge the batteries, regroup, sort out their defensive play calling and ultimately provide Rodgers with enough time to win the game...Smart.

A rookie QB has never won the Superbowl yet the powers that be decided to leave out Romo...arguably cost us reaching the Superbowl as we really had the roster that season given how amazing the offensive line played along with home field advantage.

Yet some people enjoy the team being unsuccessful so yes let's celebrate.

Some so called fans are most odd.

How dare the rookie QB make a mistake!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo played well in 2014 - arguably should have been the MVP during the regular season and was very good in both post season games against the Lions and the Packers. In reality nothing more he could have done. People can criticise him for boneheaded plays in the past but not 2014.

The state of the 2014 defense. Our best defender, Sean Lee, missed the entire season.

2016 had better defensive players, we had some guys off the street on D in 2014.
Yeah you are revising history. That 2014 was loaded. The offensive line was much better than 2016. Everyone was still in the prime of their career. Lawrence is the only guy who got better by 2016. Romo had a stacked team as well. You can’t say 2016 was stacked but 2014 wasn’t lol. Off the street guys lol....who was off the street?

Swagger

Reaction score
It is hilarious what some people do not understand.

I'm a Dallas Cowboy fan and I want us to have the best possible chance of winning.

It's not about loving or hating a QB.

If people are of the view that a rookie QB over Tony Romo (the regular season MVP to many in 2014) gave us a better chance of winning the Superbowl in 2016 then I genuinely fear for you and how you actually get by each day.

I want the team to win a Superbowl, that's the ultimate aim, evidently not the aim of all Dallas Cowboy fans.

Swagger

Reaction score
How dare the rookie QB make a mistake!
That's the whole point!

He was a rookie and so would you play him over a QB like Tony Romo at that point in his career?

How many rookies have won a Superbowl?

ondaedg

Reaction score
The team can conclude that. McCarthy and some of the new staff can come in and given an honest assessment of Dak to Jerry and Stephen.

Note, I am not saying that Dak has definitely hit his ceiling but the reality is what you see from Dak might be what you get for the rest of his career. He's entering his 5th year........... most QBs start hitting their stride right about now.

And you made my point when you said if Dak has hit his ceiling they need to let him walk. If that's what McCarthy concludes, there is no way we shuold be handing him a $35MM+ AAV contract.

Ceiling? He just threw for 4900 yds. Dan Marino did that once in his 16yr career.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

McCarthy is thrilled to have a job.. He'll do whatever the Jones's want to do. The Dak decision is theirs.

The only thing that gives me hope is that they have played hardball so far with Dak.

If he gets a 4 year deal that's eating up 13%+ of our cap for the next 4 years then it's a big win for Dak and a huge loss for the Cowboys and our Superbowl odds.