Twitter: Trey Wingo said it best about Dak and any upcoming draft QBs

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
But here's the problem. One can conclude that Dak has a ceiling and he's hit it. So now what you are weighing here is taking a chance on a rookie with a high ceiling OR paying Dak an elite contract and he's not an elite QB.

Sure it's risky but it's a question this team should be asking themselves. They should not be afraid of making the tough call here. Note, I am not saying you dump Prescott for sure.......... I am just saying that this isn't as easy as you think especially when you factor into account the fact that we might be staring at making Prescott the highest paid QB in the league.
I personally am against paying Dak more than $35 million per year, but I also feel he has not hit his ceiling. He keeps getting better every year, and it's shown. He could have easily passed for 5K yards last season if Garrett and Jerry had not restricted his pass plays in the 4th quarter of Week 17 against the Commanders. One can argue as to why, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry made that decision for contract negotiation purposes.

At the same time, Dak and his agent ARE BEING GREEDY, and it is frustrating to see! :mad: I'm all for Jerry playing hardball, but in no way does this team stand any chance of reaching the playoffs with a new coaching staff without Dak as their franchise QB. That's just a fact considering the Eagles, Giants and Commanders all have experienced young QBs on their teams. There is no way this team will even get close to winning the division without Dak at QB, and this would waste a lot of years (what it would take to draft and groom a rookie QB as Dak's replacement) of this team's current talent. Everyone needs to understand this reality whether you personally like Dak or not.

At the same time, Dak needs to quit being a prick, and instead, work with Jerry to get this new contract out of the way no later than the morning of March 10th. The sooner the better. Either way, Dak needs to understand he's going to be handsomely paid. Better than most. No need to be super greedy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The team can conclude that. McCarthy and some of the new staff can come in and given an honest assessment of Dak to Jerry and Stephen.

Note, I am not saying that Dak has definitely hit his ceiling but the reality is what you see from Dak might be what you get for the rest of his career. He's entering his 5th year........... most QBs start hitting their stride right about now.

And you made my point when you said if Dak has hit his ceiling they need to let him walk. If that's what McCarthy concludes, there is no way we shuold be handing him a $35MM+ AAV contract.
Oh I wasn’t disagreeing with you. If he’s hit his ceiling they should let him walk. I’m not of that belief. It’s just natural for someone to get better with more repetition. I saw it with Ben and Russel. They got better with more time in the league.

I believe if McCarthy and company think Dak has hit his ceiling there wouldn’t be any discussions right now. If they move on from Dak I think it’s safe to say McCarthy doesn’t think much of him. But that doesn’t seem to be the case yet.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
McCarthy is thrilled to have a job.. He'll do whatever the Jones's want to do. The Dak decision is theirs.

The only thing that gives me hope is that they have played hardball so far with Dak.

If he gets a 4 year deal that's eating up 13%+ of our cap for the next 4 years then it's a big win for Dak and a huge loss for the Cowboys and our Superbowl odds.
You see the trash that got signed? McCarthy was arguably the best candidate available. He could’ve got essentially any job he wanted.

Adreme

Reaction score
Yeah i'm fine with that.

I just watched the Rams and Eagles in recent years give up a ton for a QB and make Superbowls. It's fine.

I would give up a Trysten Hill and Connor McGovern here and there for a Joe Burrow and Cap space.

Except you aren't gaining cap space because you have to pay more for those depth players and low starters than their rookie contracts which cancels out the gains.

All of that is being done, based on statistics, get worse at QB, and more then a little worse.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yeah you are revising history. That 2014 was loaded. The offensive line was much better than 2016. Everyone was still in the prime of their career. Lawrence is the only guy who got better by 2016. Romo had a stacked team as well. You can’t say 2016 was stacked but 2014 wasn’t lol. Off the street guys lol....who was off the street?

I take it you are fishing but...2014 defense...Ken Bishop, Tyler Patman, C J Spiller, Cameron Lawrence, Nick Hayden, and Sterling Moore to name but a few. Killer D man.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The team can conclude that. McCarthy and some of the new staff can come in and given an honest assessment of Dak to Jerry and Stephen.

Note, I am not saying that Dak has definitely hit his ceiling but the reality is what you see from Dak might be what you get for the rest of his career. He's entering his 5th year........... most QBs start hitting their stride right about now.

And you made my point when you said if Dak has hit his ceiling they need to let him walk. If that's what McCarthy concludes, there is no way we shuold be handing him a $35MM+ AAV contract.
McCarthy isn't concluding that. YOU ARE.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Except you aren't gaining cap space because you have to pay more for those depth players and low starters than their rookie contracts which cancels out the gains.

All of that is being done, based on statistics, get worse at QB, and more then a little worse.

We will still have draft picks and cap space. The Eagles and Rams found a way. Nobody had found a way to win a Super Bowl with a QB taking up 15-20% of cap space..

Nobody has figured out how to win a Super Bowl with a coach from another team that has won a Super Bowl as well.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It is not a bargain.

Stop.

So was signing Wentz for $32MM a real bargain for Philly? Kirk Cousins at like $28MM is a downright steal I guess.
None of these contracts are bargains. I just don’t think Dak’s contract will cripple the franchise like posters and talking heads believe. When this new CBA is agreed upon Zeke, DLaw and Jaylon’s contracts will not look too bad.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What worries me the most about overpaying Dak is the effect it will have on the talent around him in a few years. Is Dak going to be able to overcome the inevitable erosion of talent on the roster gong forward and continue to produce at a high level?

ondaedg

Reaction score
That's the whole point!

He was a rookie and so would you play him over a QB like Tony Romo at that point in his career?

How many rookies have won a Superbowl?

Ok I get your point. My fan opinion on this is that I don't think it matters which qb we have in there when Jason Garrett is your head coach. JG struggled with real-time decisions. He will always be the limiting factor if he is on the sideline. I'd like to see Dak play under McCarthy to truly see what he's capable of.

Silverstar

Reaction score
No the Cowboys fans who lived through the Campo years weren't spoiled at all.
Fans who suffered through that are very understanding of why you pay QBs.
A team with guys who had won Super Bowls were now winning 5 games.
Not having a QB is far worse than mediocrity.

Fans love to call that middle of the road performance awful but they are very wrong.
Winning 4-5 games and knowing week in and week out you will lose is far worse.
Wasting time watching a team full of guys who all have to be replaced for you to ever win anything... far worse.

Fans of the team who entered during Romo years are spoiled.
Team was competitive to good almost yearly.

When a fan base doesn't even mention winning division titles anymore they are spoiled.

Division titles? Screw division titles!
Division titles should be the norm for the Dallas Cowboys and not the exception as far as I'm concerned.
I want this team to reach the damn SB already! Any real fan should be upset about this teams' lack of success for so long.
Spoiled my azz...I don't consider winning just the division title a successful season and never will.

Super Bowl or bust every single damn year!!!

This is the freakin Dallas Cowboys man!

I feel like this team is losing its championship legacy and it needs to stop....NOW!

GO COWBOYS!

:starspin:

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I take it you are fishing but...2014 defense...Ken Bishop, Tyler Patman, C J Spiller, Cameron Lawrence, Nick Hayden, and Sterling Moore to name but a few. Killer D man.
What the hell? You just named the backups and special teams guys.....you wanted them to have all pros as backups?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ok I get your point. My fan opinion on this is that I don't think it matters which qb we have in there when Jason Garrett is your head coach. JG struggled with real-time decisions. He will always be the limiting factor if he is on the sideline. I'd like to see Dak play under McCarthy to truly see what he's capable of.
And that is a very smart opinion. No matter how bad or good we are just know it was coming back to reality which is mediocrity.

Sydla

Reaction score
McCarthy isn't concluding that. YOU ARE.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

You need to learn to read better. Nowhere did I say that Dak has hit his ceiling.

But I get it......... when you get your dander up about Dak you get silly.

Sydla

Reaction score
None of these contracts are bargains. I just don’t think Dak’s contract will cripple the franchise like posters and talking heads believe. When this new CBA is agreed upon Zeke, DLaw and Jaylon’s contracts will not look too bad.

They can still hamper us going forward. Just because the cap is going up doesn't mean it was smart paying Elliott what we paid him, for example.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry will make Dakster the highest paid QB in the league.

I’m looking forward to him carrying a lesser supporting cast like all top paid QB’s are expected to.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We will still have draft picks and cap space. The Eagles and Rams found a way. Nobody had found a way to win a Super Bowl with a QB taking up 15-20% of cap space..

Nobody has figured out how to win a Super Bowl with a coach from another team that has won a Super Bowl as well.
WRONG. The Patriots won a Super Bowl with Brady being paid 15% of their team's salary cap.

Screenshot-20200217-090636-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20200217-090718-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20200217-090934-Google.jpg

Screenshot-20200217-091028-Calculator.jpg

Screenshot-20200217-091219-Google.jpg