Tropical Storm / Hurricane Harvey

kimrose

Reaction score
Allison hit directly below Houston putting it on the dirty side of a slow moving storm. My house got 6' of water from that one. Harvey is well South of the "impact" zone :cool:

But you see, Dexter, someone is going to get hit. And someone is going to have one helluva ride, according to the predictions, IF they are accurate. And someone in a hurry to get home or to work, is going to ride right off the water covered road into death. Whether it hits Houston or not, it's going to be bad rain for a whole lot of people. That is the point of awareness. Caring about not only yourself, but for others. :cool:

kimrose

Reaction score
Are yall in Lake Jackson? If not near the water, don't be too worried. At worst, will lose power for a few days. Looks like this thing will pound the Matagordia area ATM.

No, but we are about 15, 20 minutes west of Lake Jackson. We have the San Bernard River exactly one mile east of our house. The big ditch, 6 foot deep 25 foot wide, that runs through the middle of our property runs directly into this river, and it fills to capacity with a really good hours long rain storm. I can't imagine what it would do in a days long rain storm. I am just concerned that it is going to be as bad as they say it's gonna be. Don't want another Allison, but they are saying this is it. Hopefully they are just being dramatic. Don't want to wake up Sunday or Saturday or Monday and hear that 20 people, who were alive and well and living their lives, are dead. :(

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But you see, Dexter, someone is going to get hit. And someone is going to have one helluva ride, according to the predictions, IF they are accurate. And someone in a hurry to get home or to work, is going to ride right off the water covered road into death. Whether it hits Houston or not, it's going to be bad rain for a whole lot of people. That is the point of awareness. Caring about not only yourself, but for others. :cool:

Yes, but Houston getting flooded is 100x worse than a few small towns where there isn't much difference in elevations. If this storm hits mid to lower gulf coast, that is better for everyone. If it hits SW of Houston within 50 miles, that can be devastating. It is all about geographics at this point......the more South the better.

kimrose

Reaction score
Yes, but Houston getting flooded is 100x worse than a few small towns where there isn't much difference in elevations. If this storm hits mid to lower gulf coast, that is better for everyone. If it hits SW of Houston within 50 miles, that can be devastating. It is all about geographics at this point......the more South the better.

But what about the people that drown more South? I can't see how that is better for them. I guess I just don't understand geographics. I do know that Houston is a concrete jungle, full of people and bayous, and that they flood during a practical sprinkle, lol, but I don't understand how a devastating flood that kills people more south is better than a devastating flood that kills people in Houston.
:huh:

And hey, I live in a very small town! What gives??:p LOL

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, but we are about 15, 20 minutes west of Lake Jackson. We have the San Bernard River exactly one mile east of our house. The big ditch, 6 foot deep 25 foot wide, that runs through the middle of our property runs directly into this river, and it fills to capacity with a really good hours long rain storm. I can't imagine what it would do in a days long rain storm. I am just concerned that it is going to be as bad as they say it's gonna be. Don't want another Allison, but they are saying this is it. Hopefully they are just being dramatic. Don't want to wake up Sunday or Saturday or Monday and hear that 20 people, who were alive and well and living their lives, are dead. :(

You are in a flood zone then. Keep an eye on it and if it turns more North towards Matagorda, might want to head North a bit towards higher ground. You do not want to be on the dirty side of a slow moving storm.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But what about the people that drown more South? I can't see how that is better for them. I guess I just don't understand geographics. I do know that Houston is a concrete jungle, full of people and bayous, and that they flood during a practical sprinkle, lol, but I don't understand how a devastating flood that kills people more south is better than a devastating flood that kills people in Houston.
:huh:

And hey, I live in a very small town! What gives??:p LOL

Well, I am not really talking about peoples lives here. That is going to happen anywhere which can't be avoided. Do you want massive flooding in heavily populated areas or in remote areas where less mortalities will occur? You want the storm to effect the less populated areas.

If Houston were to get Allison type floods again, the number of people dead would be ten-fold to that of hitting somewhere further South. It is cruel, I know but those are just the facts :(

kimrose

Reaction score
Well, I am not really talking about peoples lives here. That is going to happen anywhere which can't be avoided. Do you want massive flooding in heavily populated areas or in remote areas where less mortalities will occur? You want the storm to effect the less populated areas.

If Houston were to get Allison type floods again, the number of people dead would be ten-fold to that of hitting somewhere further South. It is cruel, I know but those are just the facts :(

Okay, I get where you are coming from. But I still remember several years ago, the 17 year old boy down around Brownsville way who lost his life in Alex I think, because he was leaning out over the balcony to see the storm, and leaned too far. He still matters to me, and I never even knew his name. Maybe in less populated areas less people will die, because there are less stupid people that will try to drive through water filled underpasses and over washed out roadways. ;)

I really do just hope that everyone will play it safe with this one, wherever it lands, because they are making it sound like this is one big rain storm coming. I do think it is important to take this seriously, and not make assumptions that it is not coming toward a certain area or another. They are saying it is coming to all areas. Like I said earlier, time will tell, my friend. Time will tell. I hope we are all here to tell our story afterward.
:starspin:

John813

Reaction score
Some of the GFS model runs have Harvey in the 930's to 950's mb in terms of pressure.

That would not be good, as that could mean it could be a Cat 3/4 right before landfall.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...ac7ee1036c1fc2df35f955e03b1b446ba46b2d151.png
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017082406/gfs_pres_wind_watl_6.png
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...94706b0be9cdcc44bfef0f008283d7a18e70f55db.png

I know some say not to watch the NAM for pressure, as it can be inaccurate/over aggressive, but the latest run had pressure in the high 880's. If by some chance that became a reality, you're talking about a Cat 5.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/nam3km/2017082406/nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_32.png

CCBoy

Reaction score
...it's only projected to be a Level 1, but between Friday and Monday the prediction is from 10 to 15 inches of rain. We'll be riding it out and hoping for the best here. Not supposed to be in a high flood zone, but streets will be flooding in Corpus Christi. Wish us luck...

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Whoa, what part of Texas are also high risk areas for hurricanes and other natural disasters? The worst thing we have to worry about here in the mid Atlantic is blizzards and heat waves

Stay safe down there, brother.

Pants

Reaction score
be safe everyone, in NE Penna, we had a tornado warning the other day, the emergency broadcast came on TV and said "get in you basement and away from windows...." good times, it was ugly for about 30 minutes but the bad stuff was a few miles away from my house

Manster68

Reaction score
...it's only projected to be a Level 1, but between Friday and Monday the prediction is from 10 to 15 inches of rain. We'll be riding it out and hoping for the best here. Not supposed to be in a high flood zone, but streets will be flooding in Corpus Christi. Wish us luck...
It's only a Cat 1 at best - don't worry about it.
Signed,
Katrina veteran