Troy Aikman on Dak

Sydla

Reaction score
I like Troy but he has to be realistic. #1 during the dynasty he had talent to work with.

I am glad the Cowboys did not have to rely on Aikman to carry them. I want the same for Dak.

#2 Dak’s rookie season passing stats are perhaps better or similar to the best seasons Troy ever had.

Troy towards the end of his career without Irvin.

Aikman played in a different era than Dak, so the comparisons don't add up. For example, in 1992, which was one of Aikman's better seasons, there was only one QB who threw for more than 3500 yards. Last year there were 13 QBs who did that.

It's a passing league now and if you don't have a QB who can carry you at times, you won't win consistently.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Average receivers? More like below average, no #1 talented receiver or TE, and a poorly executing Oline. I guess Dak needs to be Superman out there? Hilarious how Troy and you Dak detractors forget how poor Troy performed his last few years when Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novachek were no longer around, along with poor pass protection? Do you remember???
These were the type of receivers he wanted, guys that did not want the ball, guys that will come on the field when their package is called, go off the field when another package is called. In one of the other threads I post a link, he felt that having a #1 was not necessary to succeed in the NFL.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And then two years of data/play got plugged into the equation.

Are you saying that a guy shouldn't change his opinion on a player as more data and information is processed?

LOL.

I would say there was enough data two years ago if he really wanted to look. But at least he's coming around now...now that everyone else sees it too.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I like Troy but he has to be realistic. #1 during the dynasty he had talent to work with.

I am glad the Cowboys did not have to rely on Aikman to carry them. I want the same for Dak.

#2 Dak’s rookie season passing stats are perhaps better or similar to the best seasons Troy ever had.

Troy towards the end of his career without Irvin.

two totally different Eras, back then you could actually win without a passing game. Todays NFL you will sink without an effective passing game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Troy should be careful! His accuracy was much worse than Dak's during his last few years with no Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novachek around to throw to, along with Troy being under constant pressure and even suffering a couple of concussions (which forced his retirement) due to poor pass protecting Olines! How quickly he and everyone else forgets!!!!

Need some proof??? Here you go...

PNIMASb.jpg

Aikman's last 4 years' passing accuracy seriously dropped once he lost his stud receivers, TE and Oline. He was constantly under pressure and having to throw to JAGS behind a porous Oline.

Look at Troy's accuracy per year. His last 4 year's were pretty bad (1997: 56.4% completions; 1998: 59.4%; 1999: 59.5%; 2000: 59.5%). Horrible when compared to his 1991 - 1996 years when he had Irvin, Harper, Novachek and The Great Wall of Dallas blocking for him. Troy averaged close to 64% completions during those years. Coincidence??? I think not. Yet, many, including Troy forget.

Now who's being fair and taking all situations under account? :facepalm:

khiladi

Reaction score
Aikman played in a different era than Dak, so the comparisons don't add up. For example, in 1992, which was one of Aikman's better seasons, there was only one QB who threw for more than 3500 yards. Last year there were 13 QBs who did that.

It's a passing league now and if you don't have a QB who can carry you at times, you won't win consistently.

I was just watching some clips of Jim Everett, and I was like man, this dude would be slinging it all over the field today. The pocket QBs of those era were a different breed, particularly in that DB era which allowed for real physicality.

khiladi

Reaction score
Troy should be careful! His accuracy was much worse than Dak's during his last few years with no Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novachek around to throw to, along with Troy being under constant pressure and even suffering a couple of concussions (which forced his retirement) due to poor pass protecting Olines! How quickly he and everyone else forgets!!!!

Need some proof??? Here you go!

PNIMASb.jpg

Aikman's last 4 years' passing accuracy seriously dropped once he lost his stud receivers, TE and Oline. He was constantly under pressure and having to throw to JAGS behind a porous Oline.

Look at Troy's accuracy per year. His last 4 year's were pretty bad (1997: 56.4% completions; 1998: 59.4%; 1999: 59.5%; 2000: 59.5%). Horrible when compared to his 1991 - 1996 years when he had Irvin, Harper, Novachek and The Great Wall of Dallas blocking for him. Troy averaged close to 63% completions during those years. Coincidence??? I think not. Yet, many, including Troy forget.

Now who's being fair and taking all situations under account? :facepalm:

That’s funny, because just last week or so you were telling us how Troy Aikman is a HOF QB that knows football and he’s proof Dak is legit, because Aikman was criticizing the schemes..

Dak in that era would throw for 30%... just stop

Delusional levels reaching so high around Dak, you are now comparing Dak as a QB to Aikman... wow.. that’s embarrassing

zerofill

Reaction score
Funny, I thought about that during my drive to work. Two deep safeties or cover 2 and Prescott doesnt look to expose the middle of the field. His decision making is very suspect and I only see him regressing.

He doesn't like those middle throws... like I said before. When was the last time you saw Dak throw a deep post etc? He throws drags, screens, curls... done... Throw the rest of the playbook away.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s funny, because just last week or so you were telling us how Troy Aikman is a HOF QB that knows football and he’s proof Dak is legit, because Aikman was criticizing the schemes..

Dak in that era would throw for 30%... just stop
Troy was right to criticize the schemes. Was he not?

I just listed facts, along with a graph to support those facts, yet here you are complaining?

willia451

Reaction score
You have to find a way to win with what you have. That is the job of the coaches. And punting on 4th and 1 with the game on the line doesn't get that done.

Even if Dak was elite, the Cowboys would still lose. How do I know that? Because we didn't go anywhere and lost with Romo as well.

Is what it is.