Try taking off your Fanatic Hat! What is best for the Future of our Team?

kskboys

Reaction score
We were still trying to win games while we didn’t have much of a shot. Somehow after 0-11 we still upset the Skins.

Trading Herschel was a planned strategical trade. And he didn’t play those players because it would have cost them higher draft picks for compensation.

All a completely different situation and scenario.
In your head only.

Trading away talent that makes you lose more is always strategical. That's what I've been trying to tell you. For some reason, you refuse to listen.

Now, I want you take your own statement and analyze and think about it: "And he didn't play those players because it would have cost them draft picks."

That is exactly how it's done, and exactly what I've been telling you.

Would you have been against it if we'd traded Zack for two 1sts, Zeke for a 1,2, and Gallup for a 1? Prolly not. And that would've been tanking.

kskboys

Reaction score
I totally get it. Example : Miami last year .

And I’d be on board like I was with Jimmy if I felt we weren’t trying to win this year. But we haven’t made those type moves .
Yup.

So, you are "for" losing on purpose, but only if it fits your narrative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catiii

Reaction score
Really? How has that been working out for us?

I agree we need a competent GM but the talent at 20 v 5 in the first round is usually significant.
That's true but how many times has Jerry gotten a high pick and traded out of it by trading down? :(

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In your head only.

Trading away talent that makes you lose more is always strategical. That's what I've been trying to tell you. For some reason, you refuse to listen.

Now, I want you take your own statement and analyze and think about it: "And he didn't play those players because it would have cost them draft picks."

That is exactly how it's done, and exactly what I've been telling you.

Would you have been against it if we'd traded Zack for two 1sts, Zeke for a 1,2, and Gallup for a 1? Prolly not. And that would've been tanking.
Actually I would have been for trading some key talents for draft picks in a more intentional effort to tank.

But I’d still argue they’d play hard with whatever talent they had left .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Some fans simply want to root for their team. That is how they choose to enjoy their fanhood. No one should have a problem w/ either side of this coin, and I don't understand why some get so inflammatory and insulting because someone exercises their fanhood in their chosen way.

Ah, you mean casual, fair weather fans?

Yah, those aren't truly devoted fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yup.

So, you are "for" losing on purpose, but only if it fits your narrative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A planned strategy is more how I’d describe it.

But the Cowboys have still been in the divisional race , and still are. It’s still something to play for.

We could have easily held out some of injury riddled starters and even kept Dalton out if we truly wanted to tank.

And I believe after the way this coaching staff begun this season with some of the dumber decisions I’ve ever seen actually have showed us something battling in recent weeks. Sorry, but I see some positives making something out of a failed season.

In the end higher draft picks is a benefit from losing. And that is a consolation but it should never be the intent without a given strategy.

cern

Reaction score
Winning football games is always better. Higher draft picks while a consolation for losing doesn’t guarantee anything and why most bottom dweller teams stay on the bottom with few exceptions until they get a GM or HC who know how to evaluate and build a team.
Head coaches are key. Gm's are just bean counters now. They manage the cap as best they can. Not to say that isn't difficult. It is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we were really smart , we would have made some trades to put the tank mode in motion since most believe we need to totally rebuild the defense and we can’t afford to pay a top 5 WR, RB and QB.

This would have been a great opportunity to shed some excess baggage with tons of draft capital for a blazing fast turnaround . After Dak went down would have been the perfect time.

That would have been a planned strategy to tank to really improve I could have completely supported. And whatever we had left would probably still play hard like they did in 1989 with no real chance to win.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Head coaches are key. Gm's are just bean counters now. They manage the cap as best they can. Not to say that isn't difficult. It is.
There’s some GM’s I’d argue are team builders with a keen eye for talent not just bean counters. But no doubt HC are very instrumental influencing those decisions. Some more than others.

KB1122

Reaction score
Winning football games is always better. Higher draft picks while a consolation for losing doesn’t guarantee anything and why most bottom dweller teams stay on the bottom with few exceptions until they get a GM or HC who know how to evaluate and build a team.

How has that attitude worked for us in the past 15 years?

kskboys

Reaction score
If we were really smart , we would have made some trades to put the tank mode in motion since most believe we need to totally rebuild the defense and we can’t afford to pay a top 5 WR, RB and QB.

This would have been a great opportunity to shed some excess baggage with tons of draft capital for a blazing fast turnaround . After Dak went down would have been the perfect time.

That would have been a planned strategy to tank to really improve I could have completely supported. And whatever we had left would probably still play hard like they did in 1989 with no real chance to win.
Sooooooooooooo, now you're backtracking from saying if we tanked, you'd quit watching.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Intentionally tanking strategies like the Cowboys in 1989 or the Dolphins in 2019 are brilliant maneuvers to generate fast turnarounds with influx of talent.

I think most fans believe we are only a .500 caliber team currently even with Dak healthy .

So why not take his injury as an opportunity for a planned strategy to tank with trades of injury plagued former top picks stars who aren’t elevating this team enough. Along with some obvious over payed stars like Zeke and Cooper.

Imagine 3 or 4 1st round picks. And perhaps several 2nd round picks. We could rebuild this defense quickly . Give Dak his big contract . And let him carry this offense while investing draft heavily on defense. We could also use one of those picks on a QB. Just like Jimmy had recommended.

But Instead we’ll be Cap stricken after resigning Dak with all of our other over paid stars and hoping one early first round pick is going to make a difference.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sooooooooooooo, now you're backtracking from saying if we tanked, you'd quit watching.
No, I’m saying intentionally losing . That’s basically what these fans are asking for.

A planned strategy to tank the season doesn’t mean you still won’t be playing hard to win games with whatever talent you have. You just won’t have much chance. That’s a smart strategy I can get behind. Similar to what Jimmy did and Miami last year.

We had an opportunity after Dak went down. We saw that team wasn’t what we thought it was. Time to blow it up. We could have traded for several 1st and 2nd rd picks. And finished 1-15 without intentionally trying to lose so to speak.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Honestly....the best thing that could happen is Jerry sell the team....turn it over to someone that has a priority in winning rather than making money. Hopefully the new owner would hire competent people to run the front office ...and stay the hell out of the way. Gotta give Jerry credit for one thing....he has set a precedence on how to run a franchise into the ground. Hopefully people will be able to look @ his failures...and learn.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, I’m saying intentionally losing . That’s basically what these fans are asking for.

A planned strategy to tank the season doesn’t mean you still won’t be playing hard to win games with whatever talent you have. You just won’t have much chance. That’s a smart strategy I can get behind. Similar to what Jimmy did and Miami last year.

We had an opportunity after Dak went down. We saw that team wasn’t what we thought it was. Time to blow it up. We could have traded for several 1st and 2nd rd picks. And finished 1-15 without intentionally trying to lose so to speak.
You should ignore those fans, then because tanking that way in the NFL can cost you draft picks. This is NOT how it's done at all.

Yup, we should've made some key trades. However, Jerry has no clue how to build for the future.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly....the best thing that could happen is Jerry sell the team....turn it over to someone that has a priority in winning rather than making money. Hopefully the new owner would hire competent people to run the front office ...and stay the hell out of the way. Gotta give Jerry credit for one thing....he has set a precedence on how to run a franchise into the ground. Hopefully people will be able to look @ his failures...and learn.
Jerry's priority is not making money. It's stroking his own ego. If it was making money, he'd have hired a competent GM a long time ago after realizing how terrible he is at the job.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
It is doubtful anyone holding any position on the topic does not understand all points-of-view. However, there is a clear disconnect though.

Games can be labeled meaningful or meaningless by fans. Either label does not dictate who influences the outcome of the games, which are teams and not fans.

One thing is certain. Some fans have made it crystal clear that their favorite team winning games means something to them until something of importance to them takes precedence. That item of importance is a higher draft position. Of course, the only party with any influence in acquiring the higher draft position is the team and not the fans wanting that specific circumstance to happen.

Essentially, some fans are placing themselves in the shoes of the general manager, coaches and players. It is a nonsensical act for self-validating "what must be done in the best interest of the franchise." Actually, it is simply an opinion that others, who know they do not influence wins or losses, would not be as concerned about IF not for the continual suggestions that 'everyone else' should root for losses.

Thus, one group of fans continue doing what they have always done. They root for their team to win games, knowing wins, losses, ultimate draft position and actual player acquisitions are outside their control. Why? Because the circumstances for supporting their team winning games has not changed in reality. On the other hand, another group of fans believe hoping for losses, resulting in higher draft position by consequence, has some undefinable yet real direct contributory meaning useful to the franchise in regards to next April's draft. None of the former is based in fact of course.

Is that contradictory? Perhaps. One group of fans will simply root for wins like always because that is the nature of spectator sports. Another group of fans will root for losses as if doing so makes any difference in the present or next April.
In a long winded way, you are saying you think fans that always root for their team to win are better fans, and fans that root for their team to lose at the end of the year, to get a much better draft pick, THINK they can influence the outcome of games.

I disagree with both points.

Also, you stated the Realistic fans are continually suggesting to other fans to root for their team to lose. They may be suggesting it and giving reasons why, but their not calling anyone a bad fan, like the Fanatics are doing, if you disagree with their point view.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That's true but how many times has Jerry gotten a high pick and traded out of it by trading down? :(
Trading down is not a bad strategy. You pick up an extra player or draft pick. You need to take advantage of the picks though!