Try taking off your Fanatic Hat! What is best for the Future of our Team?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
different is ok but insane with wanting to lose against hated rivals for non guaranteed draft pick that may or may not be bust, could be Jag, could work out. Far too many maybes.

Sorry Fans are fans to support the team..sure accepting losses for draft picks thats cool , hoping to lose and demanding losses, and saying the coaching staff and players are stupid for not losing on purpose..thats not fan not in any way shape or form because players and coaches get paid to coach and WIN GAMES. Calling them names because they wont have losers mentality like yourself. That new age fan , not true fan its modern way of looking it it..like participation trophy. Like asking a Boxer to take fall so they can make more money, or pete rose betting on baseball, and point shaving, it wont hurt anyone they say.
Umm it hurts the very fabric of sports integrity, Character, and whats sports are about..you play hard try and win and if somehow you end up with lost season you will get high enough draft picks to get great players at any spot..the drafts 7 rounds and great player scan be found in all 7 rounds and we will end up around 10-12 spot in every round and will get some very nice players..

sorry but loser talk is not a fan , you can try and back peddle try and convince me its ok to throw game, you wont win that debate its nothing but a form of cheating the games integrity..

I can accept losing but not intentional losing to gain nice picks..just like 2015 we were simply bad had great draft and we had a great bounce back year..

remember the movie Major league where the ownership tried all they could to lose the season and put together the worst team ever in order to sell the team and the players and coaches found out and it inspired them to get better and they FED that ownership and FO and won made the playoffs..that a real life scenario where coaches and players will not buy into anything with FAN TERM "TANK:"

Last year MIA finished 3-3 2-0 to close the season , hmm thats tanking? they still got their players and it shows this year, jets and Cinci just won games , doesnt look like tanking too me.. get out of here with that nonsense..teams are just that bad they lose more then they win and they get draft picks for being bad, not tanking..

have some pride, integrity, and sportsmanship.. players do, coaches do..even if the FO or owner decides to try and strip ther team of talent to get it done, it can backfire when competitions starts at kick off and pride steps up.. it shows every year teams allegedly tanking win few games to close a season out..
Saying the coaching staff and players are stupid for not losing on purpose. Where do you come up with this BS? I have always said players and coaches always try to win games. I stopped reading when you started making stuff up.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I'm a fan...short for fanatic and fanatical. That hat is permanently attached.

I don't see any value in torch cutting it off to do the "I'm so objective GMer" hat on. What for? To look so cool to other fans you despise? Or trying to impress? There is ZERO accountability, nothing to lose...and all you have to gain is PRETENDING to be the best general manager ever. I don't see the appeal in it.

Now...if you want to do it for FUN....like I think you did here...okay fine. But too many people take it way to seriously. If you're going to ridicule other fans because they aren't pretending is seriously as you are...wel...to paraphrase a wise man from this forum...you aren't the kind of fan I'm interested in,.
Okay my rant is ended. Maybe I can try to actually address your General Manager points. :grin:
I said TRY taking off your fanatic hat. I didn’t tell anyone to do anything. There is more than one way to be a fan.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Really? How has that been working out for us?

I agree we need a competent GM but the talent at 20 v 5 in the first round is usually significant.
IMO the talent in the top 5 this year is either not a position of need and/or isn't really mind blowing to begin with. Top 5 players are expensive. I think we're better suited between 8-15, and I'd even consider trading down depending on what is there.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Jerry's priority is not making money. It's stroking his own ego. If it was making money, he'd have hired a competent GM a long time ago after realizing how terrible he is at the job.

Then you haven't visited the stadium on game day. :popcorn:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no reason to insult just because you don't choose to exercise your fanhood in that way.

"A nonsensical act for self validating". Sad. You could say that about both sides, but it's really silly to say it about either side. Shows a lack of empathy. Neither side has anything to do w/ fact. It's simply rooting for your team in the fashion that best suits you.

Bolded: Neither side makes any difference. That is what is nonsensical.
Insult? Interesting self-conclusion.

There is not any strong similarity between wanting to win and wanting to lose.

Name any sport. Any sport. In any sport, there are two or more competitors vying to beat the other(s). Spectators, having a preference, hope their favorite team or athlete will defeat their competitor. Their hope is commonly expressed as rooting for victory. Hope changes into satisfaction if their team wins. In contrast, hope converts into disappointment if their team loses.

Rooting against a preferred team is an atypical concept within sports. The closest example of this personal expression is booing a bad play or perceived bad performance by either a preferred team or player. However, booing is not exactly the same as rooting to lose either.

Nonsensical is accurate. Definition:

nonsensical adjective
1 conceived or made without regard for reason or reality

Argument: When a team is judged incapable of achieving postseason success, a fan should hope for their team to incur losses during the season, in order for its future drafting selection to improve, and increase its opportunities of securing greater roster talent that shall (not maybe but will) make the team better than it was previously.

Counter-argument: Hoping for losses neither dictates nor mandates any actions that will be undertaken by the team's front office (e.g. Jerry Jones) during the draft. Possible actions taken by the team's front office include: a) drafting actual blue-chip talent; b) drafting talent that will not succeed consistently within the offense or defense; c) drafting talent that will underperform.

Rooting to lose for the sole sake of higher drafting selection is inherently short-sighted for two reasons. First, the predilection dismisses the true decision-makers in the drafting process (which is very strange for any Cowboys fan having Jerry Jones as a general manager). Secondly, the inclination settles upon assumed talent that will actually be drafted and minimizes or writes off the possibility of the front office 'going against the grain' by selecting non-assumed talent, unexpected trades, etc.

"Conceived or made without regard for reason or reality"

This post is my last comment based upon this thread's topic. You have the final word.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a long winded way, you are saying you think fans that always root for their team to win are better fans, and fans that root for their team to lose at the end of the year, to get a much better draft pick, THINK they can influence the outcome of games.

I disagree with both points.

Also, you stated the Realistic fans are continually suggesting to other fans to root for their team to lose. They may be suggesting it and giving reasons why, but their not calling anyone a bad fan, like the Fanatics are doing, if you disagree with their point view.
Better fans? Nah. Fans who prefer losing? Yes. I am saying that.

Correction: self-proclaimed 'realistic' fans. Heck. I could proclaim myself as the King of the World but it would not be realistic self-labeling.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Insult? Interesting self-conclusion.

There is not any strong similarity between wanting to win and wanting to lose.

Name any sport. Any sport. In any sport, there are two or more competitors vying to beat the other(s). Spectators, having a preference, hope their favorite team or athlete will defeat their competitor. Their hope is commonly expressed as rooting for victory. Hope changes into satisfaction if their team wins. In contrast, hope converts into disappointment if their team loses.

Rooting against a preferred team is an atypical concept within sports. The closest example of this personal expression is booing a bad play or perceived bad performance by either a preferred team or player. However, booing is not exactly the same as rooting to lose either.

Nonsensical is accurate. Definition:

nonsensical adjective
1 conceived or made without regard for reason or reality

Argument: When a team is judged incapable of achieving postseason success, a fan should hope for their team to incur losses during the season, in order for its future drafting selection to improve, and increase its opportunities of securing greater roster talent that shall (not maybe but will) make the team better than it was previously.

Counter-argument: Hoping for losses neither dictates nor mandates any actions that will be undertaken by the team's front office (e.g. Jerry Jones) during the draft. Possible actions taken by the team's front office include: a) drafting actual blue-chip talent; b) drafting talent that will not succeed consistently within the offense or defense; c) drafting talent that will underperform.

Rooting to lose for the sole sake of higher drafting selection is inherently short-sighted for two reasons. First, the predilection dismisses the true decision-makers in the drafting process (which is very strange for any Cowboys fan having Jerry Jones as a general manager). Secondly, the inclination settles upon assumed talent that will actually be drafted and minimizes or writes off the possibility of the front office 'going against the grain' by selecting non-assumed talent, unexpected trades, etc.

"Conceived or made without regard for reason or reality"

This post is my last comment based upon this thread's topic. You have the final word.
You’ll be back. Try to be a little more concise on your return.
Merry Christmas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rooting for losses by definition means you’re a fan of the teams we’re playing rather than a fan of the Cowboys. Also, it’s stupid for the reason you mention: your rooting has zero impact on the outcome, so why root to lose? Makes no sense.

I always want to win, and then in the draft I want to get steals. Makes a lot more sense than rooting for draft position and not enjoying any of the games in the process.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So, what the hell are you . And where are you speaking from?

I speak as though I’m a part of the team and franchise. You never play to lose . I’m not sure you can relate in a competitive nature.

Sooooo.......you never play to lose, but it's okay to draft to lose, is that it? And you're questioning HIS competitive nature?
Captain43Crash is just mixing some intelligence with that competitive nature, like DRAFTING to win.

Last edited:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
1. Jerry Jones retires. I would go further, but I do not wish that on anybody.
2. Stephen is kicked out of the league on a morals clause, which involves two strippers, a huge bag of cocaine, and the niece of John Mara - Kate. Hence Stephen Jones' lifetime ban.
3. Charlotte understands she does not have the ability to be the GM and hires one.
4. Troy Aikman steps down from the broadcasting booth and accepts the job as the new GM of the Dallas Cowboys. He has the final say on everything from socks to jocks.
5. Aikman quietly begins interviewing head coaches.
6. Aikman prepares the team for another off season like the one in 2020, so the teaching begins.
7. Charlotte writes a check to create the most medically healthy environment where players come into the facility to work, and work out, while segregated.
8. As Mike McCarthy is seen in his walk of shame, Robert Saleh - defensive minded coach (or insert your coach of choice) arrives in Dallas pulling a U-Haul.
9. The triumvirate of Aikman, McCoy, and Saleh (or your choice of head coach) go to work on the draft to build the number one defense in the league.
10. The league votes to go to an uncapped year because of the thing that cannot ever be mentioned.
11. Free agency comes and the offensive line is rebuilt along with one stud edge rusher.
12. The draft brings defensive tackles, linebackers, and corners, and safeties.
13. The Jets, in a moment of a drug induced episode, gives Dallas the number one pick in the 2022 draft for Zeke, and they pay the eventual hit on the cap. They then go 1-15 in the 2021 season.

14. A beer/or bourbon flavored serum that will kill the bug that has crawled up so many Cowboy Zone posters butt's which causes them to hate everything about this franchise has a 99.999999999 % effectiveness, and this board becomes exciting and drama free.

15. Dallas sweeps the 2021 play-offs and beats the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Dallas 37 - Kansas City 17.

16. Jerry is interviewed at, "The Home," and as his sexy kitty nurse wipes the oatmeal off his toothless mouth, he mumbles something about how he was the reason the team won it all, he is still a football guy, and "How 'bout them Cowboys." He then stares out the window of the facility at the sunset, as he slips into his dissociative fugue state claiming to be Napoleon. His nurse informs it's time for his nap as she prepares his shot.

17. Dallas three-peats during the 2022, 2023, and 2024 seasons being the first team to win four in a row.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
We are down to our 3rd string tackles and we have the worst defense in the NFL and the worst DC. We can’t consistently stop the run or run the ball.

You want this team, one and done in the playoffs? Good for you.

I want a top 4-6 draft pick in every round!
Same here. It's amazing though how many would be just as content with a bunch of late round jags.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rooting for losses by definition means you’re a fan of the teams we’re playing rather than a fan of the Cowboys. Also, it’s stupid for the reason you mention: your rooting has zero impact on the outcome, so why root to lose? Makes no sense.

I always want to win, and then in the draft I want to get steals. Makes a lot more sense than rooting for draft position and not enjoying any of the games in the process.
Yep

It basically gives Trolls an excuse to openly root against us.

Everyone understands the benefit of losing rewards the higher the draft pick like a consolation but that’s not how the competitive nature of the game is played. And why Franchises still play to win. It’s actually against the rules to intentionally tank and could lose draft picks.

Most likely these fans who are openly rooting for us to lose aren’t watching the games while those of us who are still watching and rooting for our team to win realize that losing has draft capital benefits which is comforting. It’s a win win situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What’s even crazier is we still have had something to play for this season . We aren’t officially out of the division race.

But look around the NFL as losing teams still playing for the competitive nature from the Jets to the Bengals with nothing to play for but pride. That’s what keeps the NFL great and why the league will penalize teams if they intentionally throw games.

There is an alternative which we discussed earlier and that’s a strategy to tank which is like we did in 1989 or Miami did last year trading away key personnel for draft picks which lessens your ability to win. That’s something I’d of definitely supported.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sooooo.......you never play to lose, but it's okay to draft to lose, is that it? And you're questioning HIS competitive nature?
Captain43Crash is just mixing some intelligence with that competitive nature, like DRAFTING to win.
No, I’m not questioning his competitive nature. I was referring to the teams competitive nature and why they aren’t going to intentionally lose. And until they do strategize to lose Im not going to root for it on Game Day.

I think we all understand the benefit of losing is higher picks. While we don’t openly root to lose we can find some comfort in losing with higher picks.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Imagine if half the league begin intentionally trying to lose for draft capital. And fans at the games were cheering for the opposing team ( much like we have already seen in Arlington lol). “ Throw a pick six Andy, we want a higher draft pick”.

It would destroy the integrity of the league and why teams will be punished. If they intentionally throw games. Not to mention Vegas and the gambling world would be turned upside down .

blueblood70

Reaction score
Saying the coaching staff and players are stupid for not losing on purpose. Where do you come up with this BS? I have always said players and coaches always try to win games. I stopped reading when you started making stuff up.
its the tanker motto, get passed it its all over this site so ill use it all i want.. you all need to crawl back in your man cave and put that secret eagles jersey back on ..

75boyz

Reaction score
Same here. It's amazing though how many would be just as content with a bunch of late round jags.

Just like Jerry.
The so called fans, or Jerry's minions in this case, would rather do it Jerry's Way than actually win something.

It's not like high draft choices ever had anything to do with the 70s and 90s success.
With or without Jerry involved.