Trysten Hill

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I liked Thornhill but don’t think we needed a safety that badly. We needed a DT just got the wrong one. I don’t expect anything from Hill this year. He look like a lil boy lol. He’s not ready

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
In August 2018, people were calling LVE "Bobby Carpenter". He turned out to be OK.
In August 2017, people were calling Jaylon Smith a wasted pick who'd never be the same player again. He turned out to be OK.
In August 2016, people were calling it a lost season when Romo went down. Dak turned out to be OK.
In August 2015, people were calling D Law a reach because he had 0 regular season sacks his rookie year. He turned out to be OK.

Moral of the story: have some freaking patience, people. I didn't like the Hill pick, but I'm not going to wig out over 1 preseason game.

Last edited:

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
In August 2018, people were calling LVE "Bobby Carpenter". He turned out to be OK.
In August 2017, people were calling Jaylon Smith a wasted pick who'd never be the same player again. He turned out to be OK.
In August 2016, people were calling it a lost season when Romo went down. Dak turned out to be OK.
In August 2015, people were calling D Law a reach because he had 0 regular season sacks his rookie year. He turned out to be OK.

Moral of the story: have some freaking patience, people. I didn't like the Hill pick, but I'm not going to wig out over 1 preseason game.
I don't trust Rod but I trust McClay. If Mcclay didn't like the prospect, we would not have drafted him.....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The guy is a second round project who probably should have been somebody else's 3rd round project. He was drafted , unfortunately, based on his off season workouts rather than anything he actually accomplished in college.

Hill was drafted on qualities to develop. If they had already been developed to our hopes he would have gone early in the 1st.

Jerry likes guys with high upsides. That generally means some assembly required. LVE was one of those guys. And he was miraculously great out of the box. We had to wait on Jaylon. Still waiting on Gregory. Byron finally delivered.

Hill is a project. Get used to that idea. Especially after the first preseason game. Sheesh.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hill was drafted on qualities to develop. If they had already been developed to our hopes he would have gone early in the 1st.

Jerry likes guys with high upsides. That generally means some assembly required. LVE was one of those guys. And he was miraculously great out of the box. We had to wait on Jaylon. Still waiting on Gregory. Byron finally delivered.

Hill is a project. Get used to that idea. Especially after the first preseason game. Sheesh.

One, part of Jones’ development “delay” was because our front office and DC played him at the wrong position for a few years. That’s not on Jones, that’s on Marinelli and others.

Two, if Hill was seen as a developmental guy, then the Cowboys screwed up not bringing in a good veteran DT besides Covington.

It’s just continued mismanagement at DT year after year.

I hope Hill develops but man it will suck if he bombs out and Thornhill becomes a stud.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One, part of Jones’ development “delay” was because our front office and DC played him at the wrong position for a few years. That’s not on Jones, that’s on Marinelli and others.

Two, if Hill was seen as a developmental guy, then the Cowboys screwed up not bringing in a good veteran DT besides Covington.

It’s just continued mismanagement at DT year after year.

I hope Hill develops but man it will suck if he bombs out and Thornhill becomes a stud.

I wasn't blaming Jones. But he was a developmental player we drafted for SPARQ. Jerry trying to hit upside.

I see our DT rotation as Collins, Woods, Crawford, Hill, with Hill maybe getting 20% snaps. We've been in worse shape, and often. Usually, in fact.
Going developmental at DT made sense this year, as we've got our clear starters in Collins and Woods, our clear rotational pass rusher in Crawford, and don't need that many snaps out of the rookie. Next year is when we need snaps when Collins leaves. Hence, developmental. This way we're getting more in the future when we need it, if we made the right call on Hill.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wasn't blaming Jones. But he was a developmental player we drafted for SPARQ. Jerry trying to hit upside.

I see our DT rotation as Collins, Woods, Crawford, Hill, with Hill maybe getting 20% snaps. We've been in worse shape, and often. Usually, in fact.
Going developmental at DT made sense this year, as we've got our clear starters in Collins and Woods, our clear rotational pass rusher in Crawford, and don't need that many snaps out of the rookie. Next year is when we need snaps when Collins leaves. Hence, developmental. This way we're getting more in the future when we need it, if we made the right call on Hill.

That rotation at DT is ehhhh.

If Hill was a developmental guy they should have been all over a one year vet like Suh or McCoy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That rotation at DT is ehhhh.

If Hill was a developmental guy they should have been all over a one year vet like Suh or McCoy.

No way we go to free agency for old guys at that price. Especially if we already have our starters in Collins and Woods.

Instead of Ross or Reid we've got a 2nd round pick. Highest DT pick since 91. Live it up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There was no reason to take Hill in round 2. Round 2 players should be more ready to upgrade a position and contribute as rookies. Projects like Hill should come later in the draft. He looks nowhere in the ball park of being good, and its not like he's competing against a bunch of pro bowlers for time. We might have have the least talented interior DL in the NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score
No way we go to free agency for old guys at that price. Especially if we already have our starters in Collins and Woods.

Instead of Ross or Reid we've got a 2nd round pick. Highest DT pick since 91. Live it up.

For what price? One year deals?

It's a total blind spot for this franchise.......... it's why they still continue, to this day, struggle to field a complete roster. They simply don't understand how to use FA to their advantage because they have an aversion to stupid stuff like age.

The team had a need at DT. They basically admitted that. So they drafted a "project" in the 2nd round, who now the front office apologists are saying shouldn't be expected to contribute right away, and brought in a retread in Covington.

That's hardly fixing the DT spot. This team would be so much better off if they had gotten Suh or McCoy on the one year deals they signed. Both could play the 1 or 3T. Both would have provided insurance against what is happening right now................ Hill isn't ready to contribute right away.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And yet you'll talk about non-starter, role player Crawford?

A year younger than McCoy? Two years younger than Suh? An iron man in the league when it comes to health and availability?

Suh is being paid $250,000 more than Tyrone "where do we play him?" Crawford. And McCoy $1 million less.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

It's a joke how this team chooses to waste its money and roster space.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
There was no reason to take Hill in round 2. Round 2 players should be more ready to upgrade a position and contribute as rookies. Projects like Hill should come later in the draft. He looks nowhere in the ball park of being good, and its not like he's competing against a bunch of pro bowlers for time. We might have have the least talented interior DL in the NFL.
This 100% there is nothing on tape that showed this kid was worth a 2nd round pick. Just another combine workout warrior. During the draft I was praying another team would draft him when I heard the rumors we wanted him. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks in the draft, one will see 20% of the snaps at most and the other will ride the bench. When you don't sign starting caliber players in free agency you can't take guys in the draft that won't have an impact.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And yet you'll talk about non-starter, role player Crawford?

A year younger than McCoy? Two years younger than Suh? An iron man in the league when it comes to health and availability?

Suh is being paid $250,000 more than Tyrone "where do we play him?" Crawford. And McCoy $1 million less.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

It's a joke how this team chooses to waste its money and roster space.
I wish ppl would stop talking about Woods like hes actually a good player. Hes a JAG.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish ppl would stop talking about Woods like hes actually a good player. Hes a JAG.

He was an unwanted retread that ended up saving Marinelli and the Cowboys *** last year. Think of the shape the team would be in without him. Not saying he's a great player, but saying that this defensive line coach and by extension the team totally undervalues the position. And compared to what they would have had, Woods was a gift.