News: TS: Cowboys Have Reportedly Inquired About WR Brandin Cooks Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He averaged aprox 1100 and 6 in Dallas. That's before the second half of last season when he became 32nd in targets. Its also combining numbers his trade year. Is the difference between 70 and 75 yds per game that huge?

Where is the brunt of the blame? If you're putting it on Coop, then you are propping up Dak and/or KM and/or vice versa. There's a tendency on this board to say everyone sucks, yet someone has to get credit for padding the numbers.

I think they all had a part in his lackluster season, and I put most of that on the coordinator who couldn't scheme his way past a cover 2. Dak fell apart from there, and Coop was all but done.

You'll be hard pressed to rank many 28 year old wrs very high because you aren't banking on more than a couple of years production. The only ones that get that treatment are the top 5 or so, Adams, for example.

Mike Evans is 28
Tyreek Hill is 28
Stefon Diggs is 28
Brandon Cooks is 28
Cooper Kupp is 28
Keenan Allen is 29
Davante Adams is 29
Deandre Hopkins is 29
Adam Thielen is 31

Nevermind the younger guys, the only receivers on that list that Cooper is arguably better than is Cooks and maybe Thielen. That’s way more than just the top 5.

You don’t have to prop up other people in Dallas to explain Amari. You can explain it in 2 simple facts about Amari Cooper: he was exactly the same in Oakland as he was in Dallas, had the same strengths, but all of the same baggage as well. In Oakland They said he had great hands, but he’d have “mental lapse” drops regularly. He looked disconnected often, terrible body language, and would have entire stretches of months where he wasn’t a difference maker. He was an unbelievable route runner, but still didn’t consistently get open against favorable coverage.

The other is that in 2019, Michael Gallup put up a season that’s roughly equivalent to the greatest season Cooper has ever produced, and CeeDee Lamb also did it last year… all 3 with the same QB.

So either Dak consciously stops throwing to receivers once they break 1100 yards, or Amari is not a lot better than either of those two. You are as good as you play on the field, and in his 7 years, Cooper has only ever played at the Allen Robinson/Brandon Cooks/Santana Moss level. If he wasn’t still living off of his college prestige and high first round pedigree, he never gets 20m$ a year for his NFL production.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The biggest reason losing Coop gets so much attention is remembering how bad the offense was before him. Of course, we only had Allen Hurns and a rookie Gallup at that point. We are in a much better position now.
Yeah but Dak is better then he was in 2018, Lamb, Shultz and Gallup are better then any receivers Dak had before the trade.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Mike Evans is 28
Tyreek Hill is 28
Stefon Diggs is 28
Brandon Cooks is 28
Cooper Kupp is 28
Keenan Allen is 29
Davante Adams is 29
Deandre Hopkins is 29
Adam Thielen is 31

Nevermind the younger guys, the only receivers on that list that Cooper is arguably better than is Cooks and maybe Thielen. That’s way more than just the top 5.

You don’t have to prop up other people in Dallas to explain Amari. You can explain it in 2 simple facts about Amari Cooper: he was exactly the same in Oakland as he was in Dallas, had the same strengths, but all of the same baggage as well. In Oakland They said he had great hands, but he’d have “mental lapse” drops regularly. He looked disconnected often, terrible body language, and would have entire stretches of months where he wasn’t a difference maker. He was an unbelievable route runner, but still didn’t consistently get open against favorable coverage.

The other is that in 2019, Michael Gallup put up a season that’s roughly equivalent to the greatest season Cooper has ever produced, and CeeDee Lamb also did it last year… all 3 with the same QB.

So either Dak consciously stops throwing to receivers once they break 1100 yards, or Amari is not a lot better than either of those two. You are as good as you play on the field, and in his 7 years, Cooper has only ever played at the Allen Robinson/Brandon Cooks/Santana Moss level. If he wasn’t still living off of his college prestige and high first round pedigree, he never gets 20m$ a year for his NFL production.

Out of those guys I'd put

Adams
Tyreek
Diggs

In the top 5 currently. Kupp was awesome but it was one year. He hasn't been anywhere near as consistently awesome as the others. Hopkins is special but at age 29 and coming off injury I can't. Thielen is simply too old, and Kennan has been hurt far too much. Evans is a really good big bodied WR who catches lots of tds and is good for 1k a year now. Maybe that's because Godwin is getting volume? I don't have a problem lumping Cooper in with those guys, and admit there is separation between the top tier and Coop.

I also don't have a problem admiting he was over paid. He wasn't grossly overpaid based on performance though. We have far worse contracts. There is also a big difference between Coop bouncing from Carr to Dak vs the qb play those top have enjoyed.

Mark my words, both Adams and Reek fall off this year.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Out of those guys I'd put

Adams
Tyreek
Diggs

In the top 5 currently. Kupp was awesome but it was one year. He hasn't been anywhere near as consistently awesome as the others. Hopkins is special but at age 29 and coming off injury I can't. Thielen is simply too old, and Kennan has been hurt far too much. Evans is a really good big bodied WR who catches lots of tds and is good for 1k a year now. Maybe that's because Godwin is getting volume? I don't have a problem lumping Cooper in with those guys, and admit there is separation between the top tier and Coop.

I also don't have a problem admiting he was over paid. He wasn't grossly overpaid based on performance though. We have far worse contracts. There is also a big difference between Coop bouncing from Carr to Dak vs the qb play those top have enjoyed.

Mark my words, both Adams and Reek fall off this year.

What is fall off? Adams won’t have Aaron Rodgers numbers, but he’ll still put up 12-1300 yards and 12+ TDs…. Still top 10 receiver production. I’ve always felt Tyreek is a little overrated and I don’t have a ton of confidence with Tua so can’t argue there. But Deandre I believe is the #1 WR in the NFL. He once had 1500 yards with Bryan Hoyer throwing him the football. Receivers don’t die at 29 like RBs, the greats are typically dominant well into their 30’s. And his injury was an MCL, everyone comes back from that 100%, way better than an ACL. I think Evans’s issue is actually Brady. He’s a QB who spreads the ball around and loves throwing to his TEs and RBs; very different style to Rodgers or Stafford

As for Keenan Allen; he has 509 receptions over the last 5 years. That’s unbelievable production and availability. If that’s what getting hurt too much is, sign me up.

Proof

Reaction score
Thats not a proper standard to define his value, because you’re not paying him for his 2015 season. You’re paying him for what you’ve seen of him and what you project he’ll give you over the next 5 years of the deal he signed. At no point since he came to Dallas has he been consider a top 5 guy. In Fact, his career numbers are eeerily similar to Brandin Cooks. Lots of 1000 yard seasons, but 1200 yards is foreign language to him. Gets 2-3 monster games a year and then just kinda costs by with 40-yard games the rest of the season. Doesn’t do double digit TDs, doesn’t do 100-catches, he’s just a good solid tweener. Will make the occasional pro bowl, and that’s worth 20m a year now.

By the “well, since 2014….” metric, he’s 5-6 times the receiver Ja’Marr Chase is. Tyreek Hill hasn’t been around long enough to get as many 1000 yard seasons as Amari, neither has Deebo, neither has Cooper. What does that mean, he’s better than all of them?

I remember when he came over (since he came midseason) when he hit 16 games w/ the cowboys that stretch he had 98 catches 1400 + yards and 12 tds. that had him firmly entrenched in the top 5. and that's what he got paid off of. and then Dak broke his ankle.

Loso86

Reaction score
I was a RB/LB and there is a difference between good ones and average. No one would have drafted me in the 1st round and I like the Denver model of draft a 3rd round rb every other year. My model would add that you need to draft an OL as well because someone has to block.
I don't disagree with you bro, I played rb and wr as well

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Mike Evans is 28
Tyreek Hill is 28
Stefon Diggs is 28
Brandon Cooks is 28
Cooper Kupp is 28
Keenan Allen is 29
Davante Adams is 29
Deandre Hopkins is 29
Adam Thielen is 31

:hammer::hammer:

Nail in the coffin!

You hear these facts, @zekecowboy ??? ^^^

This should answer your question and silence any further criticism of yours towards Dak, but I'm sure it won't.

Pretty telling when an Eagles fan (@Aerolithe_Lion ) has to state facts around here since the overwhelming majority of supposed Cowboys fans are so blinded with Dak hatred.

CWR

Reaction score
What is fall off? Adams won’t have Aaron Rodgers numbers, but he’ll still put up 12-1300 yards and 12+ TDs…. Still top 10 receiver production. I’ve always felt Tyreek is a little overrated and I don’t have a ton of confidence with Tua so can’t argue there. But Deandre I believe is the #1 WR in the NFL. He once had 1500 yards with Bryan Hoyer throwing him the football. Receivers don’t die at 29 like RBs, the greats are typically dominant well into their 30’s. And his injury was an MCL, everyone comes back from that 100%, way better than an ACL. I think Evans’s issue is actually Brady. He’s a QB who spreads the ball around and loves throwing to his TEs and RBs; very different style to Rodgers or Stafford

As for Keenan Allen; he has 509 receptions over the last 5 years. That’s unbelievable production and availability. If that’s what getting hurt too much is, sign me up.

If you noticed I still put both Adams and Reek at the top. I do believe a more mortal season is coming for both and Reek especially with Tua.

Keenan may be unfair because most of his injuries were early on. Let's not ignore the fact he averages 150 targets a year, while Coop got slightly over 100. Unless you simply believe Keenan gets open more often? Last I saw Coops win pct vs beating double teams was near the top of the league. In any event Keenan still gets the nod.

Deandre was a guy I had as the number 1, maybe 2 wr in the league when he was traded to AZ. I have the same respect for a guy that can do it with sub par qbs. I still can't put him in the top 5 at age 29 coming off injury.

Chase
Jefferson
Adams
Reek
Debbo (off the top of my head and not especially in this order)

Then both DK and AJ Brown had off years, but damn we saw what they were capable of. I see your point in putting Coop too high. However, I dont believe there is a huge separation between a large majority of these guys. System and QB goes into play MASSIVELY though, and serves to muddy the water.

Thing about it is, if most of the guys we've mentioned played along the same lines most will get 20 million + deals. We just saw Mike Williams and Cook get paid. So Copper may have been overpaid at the time, but as always if gets more reasonable over the course of the contract.

I'm not especially bitter about losing him. I'm especially bitter at what we haven't done with the cap savings.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you noticed I still put both Adams and Reek at the top. I do believe a more mortal season is coming for both and Reek especially with Tua.

Keenan may be unfair because most of his injuries were early on. Let's not ignore the fact he averages 150 targets a year, while Coop got slightly over 100. Unless you simply believe Keenan gets open more often? Last I saw Coops win pct vs beating double teams was near the top of the league. In any event Keenan still gets the nod.

Deandre was a guy I had as the number 1, maybe 2 wr in the league when he was traded to AZ. I have the same respect for a guy that can do it with sub par qbs. I still can't put him in the top 5 at age 29 coming off injury.

Chase
Jefferson
Adams
Reek
Debbo (off the top of my head and not especially in this order)

Then both DK and AJ Brown had off years, but damn we saw what they were capable of. I see your point in putting Coop too high. However, I dont believe there is a huge separation between a large majority of these guys. System and QB goes into play MASSIVELY though, and serves to muddy the water.

Thing about it is, if most of the guys we've mentioned played along the same lines most will get 20 million + deals. We just saw Mike Williams and Cook get paid. So Copper may have been overpaid at the time, but as always if gets more reasonable over the course of the contract.

I'm not especially bitter about losing him. I'm especially bitter at what we haven't done with the cap savings.

You said Kupp doesn’t make the list because he hasn’t proven to do it consistently yet. Do you think Deebo is a different situation than Kupp? Deebo had 1200 yards receiving combined the 2 years before his breakout 1400 yard season this year, while Kupp has 2100 yards his 2 previous combined years with 92 and 94 catches, and now a monstrous 1900 yard season. Yet Deebo was the one who had shown enough before this season?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In Oakland They said he had great hands, but he’d have “mental lapse” drops regularly. He looked disconnected often, terrible body language, and would have entire stretches of months where he wasn’t a difference maker. He was an unbelievable route runner, but still didn’t consistently get open against favorable coverage.

I believe all of Amari's on-field problems had to do with his inability to stay healthy. When he was healthy, he was very tough to contain. However, persistent lower-leg problems made him average too often. Unfortunately for him at this point in his career, I don't see that getting better.

I think a lot of times we discredit players because they don't let injuries sideline them even though they keep them from being as effective as they would be. Plantar fasciitis and other leg injuries took the wheels away from Cooper.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
At this point Dallas needs to focus on drafting a WR in a decent crop at the position. They are not going to be players in FA as we all know at this point unless it is the bargain bin.

John813

Reaction score
OT

I don't think Tua is a legit franchise/elite QB but to judge him off his time so far in Miami is a bit premature.
1. His own coach Flores kept the Watson rumors alive and was always quick to yank him out of games his rookie year.
2. He had no offensive line. Outside of Hunt(RG) who was a rookie RT in 2020, the rest of the line was JAGs last year. They had a rotation of inexperienced young guys at LT, their starting center went out early and their RT is still a huge questionmark.
3. They drafted Waddle last year, but his talent surrounding him was lacking at times with Parker and Preston Williams being injured along with Bowden missing last year on IR. Their best RB last year was Duke Johnson, a late season practice squad claim.

I saw a stat that Tyreek Hill only had 9 passes were he caught the ball over 20 yards from LOS last year. So, it's not like Hill is deep threat only type of receiver.

CWR

Reaction score
You said Kupp doesn’t make the list because he hasn’t proven to do it consistently yet. Do you think Deebo is a different situation than Kupp? Deebo had 1200 yards receiving combined the 2 years before his breakout 1400 yard season this year, while Kupp has 2100 yards his 2 previous combined years with 92 and 94 catches, and now a monstrous 1900 yard season. Yet Deebo was the one who had shown enough before this season?

I thought Deebo was younger actually. Him being 26 and Kupp 28 isn't huge when you consider Kupp has had 2 big years. I'm not sure with that 5 spot. You could pick between Kupp, Deebo, DK, AJ, or one of the more established guys..Kupp and Deebo are probably better bets based on scheme and/or qb.

Status
Not open for further replies.