News: TS: Report: NFL Decides On Punishment For Brad Allen's Officiating Crew

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
I'm surprised Dan Cambell didn't send the whole offensive line to report thst they are eligible

Motorola

Reaction score
Its odd that people are missing this. Its the same reason Sewell goes up to the ref for absolutely no reason. They're trying to sneak the eligible receiver into the play.
"Sneaking" the eligible receiver into the play does the Lions no good, because the official has to inform the Cowboys about the change.
Campbell's strategy was flawed from the start.
Once the Cowboys were informed and it was announced no. 70 was eligible and no. 68 was not - it subsequently blew up in Detroit's face.

Creeper

Reaction score
Because the Lions told the refs prior to the game what they'd do for a two point play, that's what teams do every game to give the refs a headsup..

This is irrelevant. But let me ask, why did the Lions go to the refs before the game? Players report as eligible all the time/ It needs no explanation. I think what Campbell was telling the refs is 3 players would approach them but only 1 would report as eligible. They were literally asking the refs to participate in a ruse to fool the Cowboys.

But more importantly, regardless of what the Lions said to the refs before the game, the player still has to report that he is eligible before the play when he assumes an eligible position. Telling the refs before the game that 68 is eligible on a two point play that may or may not occur at some point in the game is not complying with the rule.

And listen to what the Lions players are saying. Nothing. They are claiming they don't want to get fined. Decker says he said to the ref "report". An interestingly abbreviated way of saying he was reporting as eligible.

The Lions were trying to snooker the Cowboys and I think the refs too.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I call BS on this report. No way the NFL would act this fast and then make it public less 24 hours after the game, especially on a call that appears to be correct. The Spun? Yeah that sounds like a legit source.
The Spun is a click bait site of the highest degree. I refuse to open anything of theirs.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
So the refs being told about the play before the game wasn't any kind of helpful hint?

They'll be reprimanded ... but the envelopes will still be delivered.
Doesn’t matter. Once they told our defense that #70 was eligible, they had to throw a flag.

If Philly had simply sent #68 - and only #68 - to the ref, I’d be more understanding. The Lions knew running 3 guys at the ref might confuse the defense. Instead, it confused the refs.

Game over. We win.

pentatwirl

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter. Once they told our defense that #70 was eligible, they had to throw a flag.

If Philly had simply sent #68 - and only #68 - to the ref, I’d be more understanding. The Lions knew running 3 guys at the ref might confuse the defense. Instead, it confused the refs.

Game over. We win.
:DIf Dan Campbell had convinced Philly to send their #68 to report in as part of the ruse, that would have been awesome to see.

40123568-4eec-4558-ba3d-fac9d098b68b_text.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Had the roles been reversed this place would be littered with conspiracy threads. It would be "proof" of every whiny thread when the Cowboys lost.

But since the call benefitted the Cowboys, we've got a thousand posters playing the role Johnny Cochran for the refs.

Is it really that hard to admit we caught a break? Yes, it is. Need to keep that conspiracy card handy for the next loss.

plymkr

Reaction score
Sending three players to report when two were not eligible is nothing more than a scam that blew up in their faces.

I bet Campbell doesn't try to pull that crap anymore.
I hope they look at this situation in the offseason and put a rule in place that prohibits multiple players reporting at the same time. So this type of thing doesn’t happen again. Similar to how the changed the coin flip rules so only one person can call it and they have to call it before it’s flipped.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Had the roles been reversed this place would be littered with conspiracy threads. It would be "proof" of every whiny thread when the Cowboys lost.

But since the call benefitted the Cowboys, we've got a thousand posters playing the role Johnny Cochran for the refs.

Is it really that hard to admit we caught a break? Yes, it is. Need to keep that conspiracy card handy for the next loss.
Nah!

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
The Lions tried to trick the officials and the cowboys and it backfired on them. It is not the refs responsibility for what happened. If the refs were to blame it should be on the bogus tripping call. The only reason this is blowing up is because ppl hate the Cowboys.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
What bugs the crud out of me is if it was the Cowboys who failed on a trick 2 point play like this, McCarthy and the Cowboys would get the blame. The media narrative would be that the player failed to report, the coaches didn't make sure he reported correctly, and when the refs announced the wrong guy eligible, they didn't correct the refs.

The Cowboys got a break and should have lost this game, but not because of the refs who did their jobs they way they are supposed to. The Cowboys won because the Lions got stupid and tried a high school gag on the refs and Cowboys and it didn't work.
and the narrative would be, that's the Cowboys, that's why you can't trust them, they will screw up, etc.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I call BS on this report. No way the NFL would act this fast and then make it public less 24 hours after the game, especially on a call that appears to be correct. The Spun? Yeah that sounds like a legit source.
And if they let that crew do a playoff game and there is a questionable call in the game the league would be perceived as knowing the crew may have performed poorly in the past and not only didn’t address it, but let them officiate a more critical game. Easier just to tell them no playoffs. Every crew doesn’t get to do playoff games anyway.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Big deal doesnt change the out come or take away the dissatisfaction about the ending many who saw the game have.
Many will still think it was just a sloppy fix.
They wont be fired as these guys are trained by the nfl and cant be fired. they do a good job for the nfl, just not the teams or the fans lol.

What I want is a public conference with those officials and the lions players, dumb dan lol and let them all explain what happened.

even if it is after the season.

and yeah kick these refs out now or after the season, I doubt any team would like to see this crew is going to do their playoff game.

I think for a play like that you stop the game get ny involved as to what to do, I THINK so many mistakes were made,they should redo the down,
no penalty's and if dumb cambell wants to go for it again, let him.
I feel sorry for the lions players to have such a dumb HC , he screwed that play all up , and then said they practiced it all week!! imagine if they only spent a hour! lol

In fact considering they took all week, and it came out like that is pathetic ! Reminds me of that last play of dallas where they didnt get ball snapped in time lol
and Mike said they practiced that all week too , pathetic again !

Last edited: