News: Tucker: Decision on Jason Garrett's future should already be made

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ross Tucker Sporting News

The Dallas Cowboys should fire coach Jason Garrett whether they win on Sunday night or not.

That was my immediate reaction when the news broke this past weekend that Garrett wouldn't be brought back for another season if the 'Boys fail to make the playoffs yet again.

But should it even come down to that? I say no because I am philosophically opposed to the concept of retaining the football operations leader of a multi-billion-dollar enterprise based upon one play.

Think of it this way: If the Washington Commanders hadn't inexplicably dropped coverage on DeMarco Murray on fourth-and-goal from the 10-yard line and allowed the Cowboys to score the game-winning touchdown Sunday, the Eagles would have clinched the division. Under that scenario, Garrett would be as good as gone if published reports are to be believed.

That makes no sense at all. Can you imagine General Electric or Apple or Goldman Sachs or any other business making a determination that significant based on a ridiculously small and arbitrary sample size? Of course not. That's why the Cowboys shouldn't make the determination in that manner either.

Read the rest: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-24/jason-garrett-cowboys-future-jerry-jones-tony-tomo

egn22

Reaction score
I agree with the article completely. don't know about the comparison of a football team to a corporation like GE, but I agree that you need to look at the body of work to make the decision.

Gadfly22

Reaction score
The article makes an excellent case, and I agree with all of it. However, within the reality distortion field of Jerryland, it probably is no more comprehensible than if it were written in Urdu and read backwards in a funhouse mirror.

Aven8

Reaction score
This is why Jerry is a complete moron. He doesn't go by the body of work, he lives in the next moment. I use the eyeball test and this team is disorganized and the HC is suppose to help win football games, not lose them. It's time for a change, not for change sake, but because he's not getting it done.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is why Jerry is a complete moron. He doesn't go by the body of work, he lives in the next moment. I use the eyeball test and this team is disorganized and the HC is suppose to help win football games, not lose them. It's time for a change, not for change sake, but because he's not getting it done.
Going only on body of work in the NFL is impossible. If that were the case, the Pats never would have hired Bellicheck, and the landscape of the draft would look very, very different.

Section446

Reaction score
He is going nowhere, everyone (including Garrett) knows it. Jerry doesn't have the marbles to admit that he made a huge mistake hiring Garrett.

Edit: Part of me fully expects to hear that Garrett got a contract extension this off-season.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
garrett will be back next year folks. Jerry loves this type of power he has with this current team and staff. I hope I am wrong. And I hope jerry finds a baseball team to ruin and keep him away from the cowboys. lmao

Dodger12

Reaction score
Going only on body of work in the NFL is impossible. If that were the case, the Pats never would have hired Bellicheck, and the landscape of the draft would look very, very different.

Not true.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
On the flipside if Romo throws over the head of Rob Jackson instead of his into his hands on the final drive vs Washington would there even be talk of JG's diismissal?

If the Giants don't connect on two miracle catch and throws they have ZERO super bowls instead of two over the last six years.

If Dallas win this week in the face of all these injuries, I think JG has to be considered a good bet to return broken play or not.

Eddie

Reaction score
Yay, fire JG.

Bring on next no power, no ability, no cajones, puppet.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not true.
Explain....

In his 5 years as HC in Cleveland, he had 4 losing seasons. If you're arguing that JG should be fired b/c of his body of work, then Belichick certainly shoudln't have gotten another job. And the draft is built around selecting potential...none of the guys have any history at all the NFL.

The NFL is as much about trying to predict the future as anything else. Body of work plays a part of that, but its not the only thing you can look at.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's like people forget that New England didn't hire Belichick straight out of Cleveland. He did a great job as DC for Parcells for four years after the Browns fired him before New England gave him a chance. If Garrett were able to catch on and do a great job as OC for four or five years somewhere else (lol), he might get another chance, too.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's like people forget that New England didn't hire Belichick straight out of Cleveland. He did a great job as DC for Parcells for four years after the Browns fired him before New England gave him a chance. If Garrett were able to catch on and do a great job as OC for four or five years somewhere else (lol), he might get another chance, too.

People also forget that Belichick went through his "growing pains" with another organization and prior to that learned at the feet of one of the greatest coaches in history.

Garrett had next to zero experience before being hired as an offensive coordinator, learned at the feet of Wade Phillips.

Not making apologies for him, but to bring Belichick up as some sort of cautionary tale about Garrett is just silly.

Aven8

Reaction score

That argument is stale. Bellicheck was a SB winning DC and coach for years.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Explain....

In his 5 years as HC in Cleveland, he had 4 losing seasons. If you're arguing that JG should be fired b/c of his body of work, then Belichick certainly shoudln't have gotten another job. And the draft is built around selecting potential...none of the guys have any history at all the NFL.

The NFL is as much about trying to predict the future as anything else. Body of work plays a part of that, but its not the only thing you can look at.

lets be real here...that was cleveland...everyone gets a pass coming from there

Aven8

Reaction score
The list of good coordinators who sucked as head coaches is long for that to hold any weight, imo.

And JG has sucked at both jobs IMO. At least Wade and Campo are darn good coordinators.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
And JG has sucked at both jobs IMO. At least Wade and Campo are darn good coordinators.
I know. I'm not saying JG should still be here, just that body of work isn't the only thing you can look at.