News: Tucker: Decision on Jason Garrett's future should already be made

Dodger12

Reaction score
And that chance figures to occur somewhere with a sane owner and an actual chance to succeed.

I realize we're supposed to demonize Garrett as all that ails the Cowboys right now but any fan with a clue knows that coaching has not been and is not the issue. It's the environment the coaches reside in in Dallas and the pieces given those coaches that is the problem. And that has nothing to do with Jason Garrett.

I could buy some of that if I saw something on the field to prove it. Anything. No doubt Jerry is the primary culprit, but that doesn't relieve Garrett of his coaching shortcomings. I guess Garrett didn't have any hand in the GB fiasco.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that Coach Jerry is the main problem in Dallas. However, how many games did Garrett's coaching directly result in losses this season alone?

What would our record be if that sorry Bill Belichick was our coach? Better yet, how many games would Belichick have cost us this season?

Belichick under this same situation where he can't sneeze without the owner's permission?

Belichick with Jerry and Stephen feeding him players?

I don't think we'd see much of a difference. We'd probably see the Cleveland Browns version of Belichick. Then you guys can claim he's washed up and we just need one more coaching change for it all to work.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could buy some of that if I saw something on the field to prove it. Anything. No doubt Jerry is the primary culprit, but that doesn't relieve Garrett of his coaching shortcomings. I guess Garrett didn't have any hand in the GB fiasco.

I can't evaluate a coach's shortcomings when he's not provided an environment to truly head coach his football team. I didn't judge Wade Phillips by his time here. He proved he was a loser elsewhere under sane ownership.

It's not about liking Garrett. I'd fire him tomorrow just for the chance to get a head coach this lunatic will respect and allow to do his job.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade won two division titles and a playoff game with more fiasco than any other coach in our history, way more than Garrett, while under Jerry's meddling hand after finally getting rid of Parcells...

BigD5

Reaction score
Belichick under this same situation where he can't sneeze without the owner's permission?

I don't think we'd see much of a difference. We'd probably see the Cleveland Browns version of Belichick. Then you guys can claim he's washed up and we just need one more coaching change for it all to work.

What does Jerry and stephen's meddling have to do with Garrett not running the clock vs Detroit? Or not running the ball up 23 in the 2nd half vs GB? Or icing his own kicker? Or any other embarrassing mistakes that have cost us games under this clown. Do you think Jerry calls down to the field during games?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
What does Jerry and stephen's meddling have to do with Garrett not running the clock vs Detroit? Or not running the ball up 23 in the 2nd half vs GB? Or icing his own kicker? Or any other embarrassing mistakes that have cost us games under this clown. Do you think Jerry calls down to the field during games?

Detroit? Icing the kicker? What a joke.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Didn't Garrett ice his own kicker vs Arizona?

There's no such thing as icing the kicker. You do realize that it's not a real thing, don't you? That it has no effect on probabilities and has been shown many times to not affect anything?

Dodger12

Reaction score
I can't evaluate a coach's shortcomings when he's not provided an environment to truly head coach his football team.

Game time decisions, clock management, in-game coaching/strategy and half-time adjustments can certainly help evaluate any coach. I'll ask again, to you not think Garrett, by virtue of his game day coaching decisions, had a hand in the GB loss which was similar to the Detroit loss a couple of years ago?

BigD5

Reaction score
There's no such thing as icing the kicker. You do realize that it's not a real thing, don't you? That it has no effect on probabilities and has been shown many times to not affect anything?

Have you ever seen a head coach of a team about to kick the game winning field goal call time out right before the ball is snapped?

I can't believe here are people in this world that defend the blunders of this moron

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a head coach of a team about to kick the game winning field goal call time out right before the ball is snapped?

I can't believe here are people in this world that defend the blunders of this moron

Have you ever seen the data that shows that it's not an effective strategy and that kickers are more accurate after a timeout has been called? I can't believe there are people in this world who would cite "icing the kicker" as some kind of strategy.

BigD5

Reaction score
Well you better start believing there are people in this world that do use icing the kicker as a strategy. They are called head coaches. And they do it from high school to the arena league to the CFL to the NFL.

Since you've seen the data why don't you enlighten me? Also have you ever seen a coach of the team that is actually kicking the fg call a timeout right before the ball is snapped?

And lastly when you show me the data can you include kicks where coaches called timeout milliseconds before the ball is snapped like Garrett did?

And include stats of coaches icing their own kicker while you're at it

BigD5

Reaction score

Yes I would hate to get the Cleveland version of Belichick that improved every year he was the head coach and had a SB team before his owner announced he was relocating the franchise

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Explain....

In his 5 years as HC in Cleveland, he had 4 losing seasons. If you're arguing that JG should be fired b/c of his body of work, then Belichick certainly shoudln't have gotten another job. And the draft is built around selecting potential...none of the guys have any history at all the NFL.

The NFL is as much about trying to predict the future as anything else. Body of work plays a part of that, but its not the only thing you can look at.

This.

Tom Landry himself lost with bad, no tallent eams early on.

I'm not going to condemn this owner, coach and QB for being unlucky with Romo's injury.

This is football in its base form.

These players know that.

The fans need to mature and know it,too.

egn22

Reaction score
So now EVERYTHING that Garrett does wrong is because Jerry doesn't provide a suitable coaching environment for him?

man, please. get outta here with that garbage.

Zordon

Reaction score

A coach like Belicheck does not come here under those conditions. Which goes to my point that we agree RS that the situation here is an insane circus. But I think we also agree that an elite coach can work thru all of the malarky and prevail. Give Parcells one more year and I think we're in the Super Bowlin 07. An elite head coach who makes sure to set strict guidelines on Jerry before signing a contract can get it done. So, I have to ask do you think this puppy dog Garrett is that guy?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Fired? He should not have been *hired* - they don't let first year cadets pilot the Space Shuttle, and for good reason...

That's funny, I can swear it was the prized and widely respected Ozzie Newsome who was all set to sign that same cadet to pilot his space shuttle before Jerry stepped in. People seem to forget how widely regarded Jason was prior to becoming Dallas' head coach.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A coach like Belicheck does not come here under those conditions. Which goes to my point that we agree RS that the situation here is an insane circus. But I think we also agree that an elite coach can work thru all of the malarky and prevail. Give Parcells one more year and I think we're in the Super Bowlin 07. An elite head coach who makes sure to set strict guidelines on Jerry before signing a contract can get it done. So, I have to ask do you think this puppy dog Garrett is that guy?

No, I don't. Which is why I want him gone. I just want to replace him for very different reasons than what most do. He's not a bad coach. He's not the problem. He just isn't the answer here. No first time head coach can win here. Parcells, as great as he is, couldn't turn that team around like he did without Jerry backing off and making concessions. Parcells talked about a culture change. This is exactly what he was talking about. If the coach doesn't have the right culture he can't win. I don't care who it is.