TV ratings continuing to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think the players should be allowed to express their right to dissent if they choose to, but I don't think for one second it is all about "FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT NOT TO BE KILLED FOR YOUR SKIN COLOR" when we have this

http://nypost.com/2016/09/01/colin-kaepernick-wore-socks-with-pig-cops/

I jumped off the Kaepernick train right there
Oh yes. Lets ignore the very real concerns that minority groups have in this country because of Kaep's socks.

That seems completely reasonable.

robbieruff

Reaction score
I think the last thing you mentioned is a huge factor in all of this. I'm 28 and would call myself squarely in the target market for NFL right now. I only have TV through internet based outlets and the old rabbit ears. I think this is a trend that is very prevalent for people around my age.
Rabbit ears??? Dang fly guy...and when you miss a game do you record on betamax? ;) jk...i do the same thing!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
NFL players certainly have the right to protest, to be activists, to fight for others. But I think many people tune into the games to forget their problems, to escape the world, to have fun.

This crashes two worlds together. I'm sure there are some people that would rather watch a mindless action flick, or a game show, or an unscripted reality TV program that just lets them vegitate, rather than be reminded of all the troubles of the world.

Just my opinion. Personally, I don't watch the national anthem. I tune in right as the kick's in the air usually.
Great post, Bizwah.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Oh yes. Lets ignore the very real concerns that minority groups have in this country because of Kaep's socks.

That seems completely reasonable.
Yeah lets ignore CK's own words because it ruins your false narrative

See how easy that is....... you ain't slick

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL players are hurting their pocketbooks.

CBA negotiations, when it comes to money, are very closely tied to ratings and revenue. Ratings bring premium rates for advertising, thus revenue for TV contracts and all that implies.

Last night's kickoff opener was down 12% from the ratings of a year ago. Ratings were already down last year.

I suggest the players get off their butt and stand for the anthem, and stop trying to be social justice warriors. That is, if they don't want to see their checks shrink next CBA.

People are developing a cold shoulder toward athletes. If they want that golden egg, they'd better stop punching the goose.

On a personal note, I can feel my interest waning. I NEVER thought I'd say that about the NFL. Stop preaching to me, and play football.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/

It's not really about the next CBA because it's a percentage issue. Revenues go down, cap goes down. The CBA just sets the percentage between owners and players.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
All American women Semi's at the US Open baby. That had to eat into ratings a little. I watched Venus vs Sloane Stephens and then went back and watched the game off dvr.

superonyx

Reaction score
I think the players should be allowed to express their right to dissent if they choose to, but I don't think for one second it is all about "FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT NOT TO BE KILLED FOR YOUR SKIN COLOR" when we have this

http://nypost.com/2016/09/01/colin-kaepernick-wore-socks-with-pig-cops/

I jumped off the Kaepernick train right there
It's not just about Colin Kaepernick at this point.
Every movement or protest has a counter side that will try to vilify or create doubt in some individuals. Then they will use this to manipulate people into forgetting about the important message and focus on something distasteful with a figurehead for the cause. Be better than that. You don't have to like or agree with everything someone says in order to hear some of the things they say. Do you believe there are social, racial, and economic injustices in our country? Kap doesn't define or own the pain felt by communities most hurt by certain government policies.

Think about this. In 1980 we had 300k people in prison in the USA. Now we have over 3 MILLION in prison. Do you feel safer now than you did in 1980? Does anyone?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yeah lets ignore CK's own words because it ruins your false narrative

See how easy that is....... you ain't slick
Colin is not the leader of the movement towards equality. He is not the first to protest injustice. He won't be the last. Trying to frame the entire discussion around Kaep and his socks is...not a smart thing to do. That stance is either woefully ignorant or intentionally malicious. Which is it for you?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's not really about the next CBA because it's a percentage issue. Revenues go down, cap goes down. The CBA just sets the percentage between owners and players.
It is all about growth to the Owners and Goodell......... they want 20 billion in revenue in a few years

Declining ratings and attendance are very worrisome

They tried to front load the TV schedule with great games to avoid ratings like last night...12% drop from last year's 10% drop

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
You really think people are kneeling during the anthem because they despise the anthem. Talk about missing the point.

Oh and since we are on the "point missing" theme....those in our military fought for our constitutional rights. Have you heard of the bill of rights? It contains the first 10 amendments to our constitution. Right there at number 1 is the right to peaceful protest.

So I think when people kneel during the anthem they are thankful for those who have served and bleed and died for this country to protect their god given unassailable rights as citizens of this country.
raw

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Colin is not the leader of the movement towards equality. He is not the first to protest injustice. He won't be the last. Trying to frame the entire discussion around Kaep and his socks is...not a smart thing to do. That stance is either woefully ignorant or intentionally malicious. Which is it for you?
You can't defend it so ignore.....great strategy

This anti-cop fervor has led to the Dallas shootings and random cops being ambushed around the country based on a false narrative that cops are shooting black men because they are racist and not just in the line of duty.......... many more white men are shot by the police but you ignore that too.......and 100x more black men are shot by other black men but no one cares about that because the boogey man can't be blamed

erod

Reaction score

It's football. That's all it is. If I wanted to study social justice and get the thoughts of the true deep thinkers of America, I damn sure wouldn't tune into an NFL football game.

That's like going to a hair salon to learn Calculus.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It's football. That's all it is. If I wanted to study social justice and get the thoughts of the true deep thinkers of America, I damn sure wouldn't tune into an NFL football game.

You're gonna keep watching the Cowboys and posting here. The protests won't stop, either, E. And you'll still be watching and posting and supporting.

superonyx

Reaction score
You can't defend it so ignore.....great strategy

This anti-cop fervor has led to the Dallas shootings and random cops being ambushed around the country based on a false narrative that cops are shooting black men because they are racist and not just in the line of duty.......... many more white men are shot by the police but you ignore that too.......and 100x more black men are shot by other black men but no one cares about that because the boogey man can't be blamed
Your facts are incorrect or stated in a way that isn't clear.
The reality is black men are 21 times more likely to be shot by police than white men.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/10/racial-disparity-police-killings_n_5965706.html

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
We want our athletes to "shut up and stick to sports" except when they endorse products and then you're somehow OK with this? Hypocrisy at it's finest.

I must have missed your and @erod's post denouncing players endorsing soft drinks and burgers. T-shirts and shoes. Just stick to sports....right?
You just compared "disrespecting the flag" too eating a Big Mac on tv. How is endorsements on the same level as protest?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is all about growth to the Owners and Goodell......... they want 20 billion in revenue in a few years

Declining ratings and attendance are very worrisome

They tried to front load the TV schedule with great games to avoid ratings like last night...12% drop from last year's 10% drop

Yes, it's tied to ratings and TV deals not to the CBA.

WhizKid

Reaction score
The idea of athletes using their platform for social awareness being a new thing is one not based in reality and is revisionist history. This has been prevalent in sports for decades. It is definitely more exposed now (a good thing) due to technology and social media platforms. The fix here is, stay off social media, don't watch the news, and just watch the games during the time they are happening. And if you have problems hearing announcers mention it a couple times during the three hours, mute that thing, and move on.;)

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

So football players shouldn't be allowed a voice on an issue they are passionate about? That impacts them, their families and/or loved ones? Be seen but not heard?

Yeah....I have a problem with that.

Athletes due tot heir God given ability oftentimes have large platforms to be heard. Not using that platform to try and better the world would be sad. I live by the code "to whom much is given....much is expected." Not the code you apparently live by "to whom much is given...much is expected...except football players."

erod

Reaction score
You're gonna keep watching the Cowboys and posting here. The protests won't stop, either, E. And you'll still be watching and posting and supporting.

I've already sold half my tickets for this season. To opponent's fans, I'm sure.

I'll tell you this. I care less right now than I ever have.

Status
Not open for further replies.