TV ratings continuing to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Reaction score
I believe the league is more responsible for the downward trend than the players.

This Zeke BS is Exhibit A of why the NFL is ****. Their agenda is to "protect the shield", but their actions consistently throw dirt on it. Why are you constantly trying to criminalize your own players?? They should get a clue from the NBA, where the league glorifies and promotes its players rather than belittling them.

Exhibit B) how does marijuana use still destroy an NFL players career? I'm an attorney and I am allowed to smoke pot, but guys who are going through intense physical pain are not allowed to smoke pot. Absolutely ridiculous.
NBA ratings are putrid. Nobody watches until the finals.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Lol-people aren't watching football because of the national anthem? I suspect it has more to do with the crappy product and joke officiating more than anything.
Re-watch yesterday's game and pay close attention to the mugging the useless Pats oline handed the Chiefs without a single holding penalty.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Nice strawman.

Life is not equally hard for everyone. That is the issue. No one is saying be lazy although your narrative speaks to a disgusting stereotype pointed at minorities. It's not because of race it is because of work ethic!

Jim Brown is not someone whose opinion I care about.

Of course life isn't equally hard for everyone. That would be impossible since every life and circumstance is different.

Hey you've been through what you've been through in life and that's that. You have your opinion on certain things and that's ok. I respect that.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Poor Kaepernick. He is not good enough to warrant the circus him and his girlfriend create. That's the way it goes when you want to make a statement!

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Nice strawman.

Life is not equally hard for everyone. That is the issue. No one is saying be lazy although your narrative speaks to a disgusting stereotype pointed at minorities. It's not because of race it is because of work ethic!

I agree with everything you said but especially this...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Lol-people aren't watching football because of the national anthem? I suspect it has more to do with the crappy product and joke officiating more than anything.
Re-watch yesterday's game and pay close attention to the mugging the useless Pats oline handed the Chiefs without a single holding penalty.

I definitely agree with the second part of this post about holding - ridiculous!

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
The national anthem was written back when minorities were treated like ****. Standing for that dumb song means that much to some people? I'm usually thinking about something so far from America when I stand for it :lmao2:

Sydla

Reaction score
Poor Kaepernick. He is not good enough to warrant the circus him and his girlfriend create. That's the way it goes when you want to make a statement!

And I tend to agree with this on Kaep. I think he's not good enough for a team to justify taking him on solely as a backup. I do wonder however, what happens if a team loses their starter and they still have a chance to make a playoff run.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
It's not just the national anthem issues dragging down ratings.

The next generation of sports fan aren't as crazy about football as earlier generations. My kids grew up playing soccer. My son loves the NBA. The issues around head trauma in the NFL and football in general are taking a slow but steady toll. Beyond all that, you have massive amounts of cord cutting of cable / DirectTV / etc.
Speaking for myself, I'm an older fan that has watched since the early 60's. I have evolved from being what I describe as a "rabid" fan to one that is almost to the point of I could take it or leave it (not quite there yet, though). My reduction in "fanaticism" has occurred in the recent past few years. I don't think I'm alone in those feelings. It's just not the fun it used to be. I think the NFL is in the beginning stages of waning popularity. Time will tell.

aikemirv

Reaction score
And I tend to agree with this on Kaep. I think he's not good enough for a team to justify taking him on solely as a backup. I do wonder however, what happens if a team loses their starter and they still have a chance to make a playoff run.

I think the fact is he is a gimmick QB that has some success because of it, but when teams take away his running option he stinks as bad as most 2nd stringers in the league! He might get you through a game or 2 but he has proven to not be good enough.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
The NFL ratings are going down just like the ratings for the NBA, ESPN, MTV, and Hollywood/Music award shows...

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the fact is he is a gimmick QB that has some success because of it, but when teams take away his running option he stinks as bad as most 2nd stringers in the league! He might get you through a game or 2 but he has proven to not be good enough.

Possibly but if I am a team that is sitting at say 4-2 in a weaker division and I lose my starter and my backup is as bad as Kellen Moore, I might be tempted to take a flier at that point and try to salvage the season.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
lol more people than ever are watching the NFL. Ever heard of streaming? Ratings are down because cable subscriptions are down. Get with the times.
Old farts like me don't think of those kinds of things. I'm sure there's a way to track "total viewership" by totaling all forms of viewership. Wonder what story that would tell?

aikemirv

Reaction score
The NFL didn't foresee anything like this coming and now they can't really do anything about it.

The NBA somehow knew way ahead of time and forces players to stand before this could ever become an issue in their league.

So I just don't care. Only the NFL can control it and they won't do anything because they will get roasted by the media and the media is going to agree with people who kneel.

So i'm just to the point that if the NFL owners allow their players to do it then go ahead and do it. I just wish the broadcast didn't cut in and update me on the players that didn't stand.

You are right about the media. They are expanding the racial divide in this country by focusing on the extremes rather than focusing on the good parts of society. Focus on what works and why it works and where there are not divisions and people will get a good picture of how racial issues can be overcome.

erod

Reaction score
Nice strawman.

Life is easier here today for everyone than it would be for them anywhere else in the world. That's worth standing for.

Sydla

Reaction score
Old farts like me don't think of those kinds of things. I'm sure there's a way to track "total viewership" by totaling all forms of viewership. Wonder what story that would tell?

I may be wrong but I think that's actually part of the problem............ there is no way to correctly and consistently track viewership across all mediums.

For example, living up here in the Philly area, I don't get all the Cowboys games. I probably watched 3-4 games last year over the computer streaming from one of those bootleg sites that uploads live local broadcasts. There's no way to count me as a viewer, I believe.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

It would tell that the NFL is far and away the most popular thing on TV and these current ratings don't tell the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.