TV ratings continuing to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I watched the entirety of last night's game and was surprised that I felt a definite sense of boredom. The game lasted close to 4 hours which may be part of the reason, but one shouldn't feel that way on opening night with a very entertaining game.

The Cowboys are the only real hope the league has of turning their tv ratings around. They are pure gold when it comes to tv audiences because of their tradition, drama, and high exposure. It's always been that way. It's one of the reasons they are the league's marquis franchise. That's why it makes no sense that the NFL has an apparent vendetta against them.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
The NFL players are hurting their pocketbooks.

CBA negotiations, when it comes to money, are very closely tied to ratings and revenue. Ratings bring premium rates for advertising, thus revenue for TV contracts and all that implies.

Last night's kickoff opener was down 12% from the ratings of a year ago. Ratings were already down last year.

I suggest the players get off their butt and stand for the anthem, and stop trying to be social justice warriors. That is, if they don't want to see their checks shrink next CBA.

People are developing a cold shoulder toward athletes. If they want that golden egg, they'd better stop punching the goose.

On a personal note, I can feel my interest waning. I NEVER thought I'd say that about the NFL. Stop preaching to me, and play football.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/
I think the brain trauma and suicides have much more to do with it, and you're not supposed to be political in here

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
The NFL players are hurting their pocketbooks.

CBA negotiations, when it comes to money, are very closely tied to ratings and revenue. Ratings bring premium rates for advertising, thus revenue for TV contracts and all that implies.

Last night's kickoff opener was down 12% from the ratings of a year ago. Ratings were already down last year.

I suggest the players get off their butt and stand for the anthem, and stop trying to be social justice warriors. That is, if they don't want to see their checks shrink next CBA.

People are developing a cold shoulder toward athletes. If they want that golden egg, they'd better stop punching the goose.

On a personal note, I can feel my interest waning. I NEVER thought I'd say that about the NFL. Stop preaching to me, and play football.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/

Wait till the Cowboys are on, the TV ratings will go through the roof again like they do every year.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Well their front 7 and skill players on offense let looked terrible. Sure they play in a terrible division but I dunno that they are going to win it.

I'm of the opinion that you can never tell anything about a team until at least the third and maybe the fourth game of the regular season, and certainly not from the first game. But man, did the defending champions ever get curb stomped last night. I think the Patriots defense looked terrible because the team insists on not paying good players and trading them away for draft picks that they just trade away for more draft picks.

Limey

Reaction score
Such insults have no meaning without basis. You going to call me a poopoohead next?
I am insulting your use of the word injustice to describe these protests as valid. If you truly believe that then my previous comment then becomes not only a description of your behavior in this one instance, but one of you as well.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Please prove that the lower rating are tied to the player protest.

"National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that you can never tell anything about a team until at least the third and maybe the fourth game of the regular season, and certainly not from the first game. But man, did the defending champions ever get curb stomped last night. I think the Patriots defense looked terrible because the team insists on not paying good players and trading them away for draft picks that they just trade away for more draft picks.

They are still the defending champions and it's just 1 game.

We lost our first game too last year so I think your theory about waiting a few weeks is the way to go.

I would have loved for us to go get Gilmore. Instead we go sign guys like Cedric Thornton and point to that as to why we should skip FA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There's a lot of people boycotting the Kapernick situation....the fact that he's not on a team...

I think the matchup played into account. I personally dislike the Patriots and hate to watch them play.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're making a ridiculous leap to equate the National Anthem at a game to appreciation for service men.
And you are just ridiculous. Shall we now measure the size of our manhood organs to settle this?:rolleyes: We can agree to disagree and go our separate ways, but don't go saying my contrary view is ridiculous just because you don't share it. I've admitted all along you don't have to stand for the national anthem, you can go get popcorn or beer during that time. It's called freedom. But don't call me ridiculous because I choose to do otherwise.

Last edited:

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Two straight years all news enveloping the sport with the best on field product on the planet has been about shameful story lines which the league chose to promote and the horrible handling of those cases which they were in charge of. Uh ... someone needs to take a marketing 101 class immediately.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I know one thing the the league and the players need to get politics and protest out of football of course that's not the only thing that wrong with it most games are really hard to watch because of the qb play and the officiating and now one wonders if the integrity of the game is still what it once was

The Natural

Reaction score
Cowboys game just 3 days away and this is the leading topic in the fan zone. Mods what the **** is going on?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I would guess the bigger factor is that Millennials are not cable subscribers and stream most of their entertainment.

Evidence of theory: I'm 29 and technically a Millennial. Of my close circle of friends, I'm the only one with cable.

Satchel89

Reaction score
Maybe one reason the ratings were down last night was because of the teams. I didn't watch it. I'm so sick of the Patriots and Tom Brady. Sick of hearing about Belichick too. I had no interest in watching the game. I'm glad the Chiefs won, That was nice but I'm waiting for Sunday. So many different players are sitting during the Anthem now that I really don't pay attention. I'm not saying I don't care but I'm just burned out on Politics. I can't even watch a music video without someone wanting to bring them into the discussion and I'm sick of it. Also too, There's a lot of people in Texas who could care less about football right now and the same goes for Florida and the other states around them who are dealing with a Hurricane and a football game is the last thing on their mind.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
"National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games
Only 12 percent of people polled said they watched less NFL. OF that 12 percent, only 24 percent cited Kaep as a reason. After the election ended, the ratings were right on par. ESPN is fake news.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I actually forgot the game was on last night. I suppose that is a testament to just how much my personal interest has fallen off. If the Cowboys aren't playing then football is just not a priority anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.