TV ratings continuing to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikemirv

Reaction score
was the first opening night game Ive missing in like 7 or 8 years now.

And, I didnt care I missed it. I only cared about the FF scores on my teams the morning after.

I enjoyed the game last night. Probably mainly because it is fun to watch a new guy (Hunt) but probably more because Patriots lost! I usually only really enjoy/watch a game when I am rooting for or against a certain team.

conner01

Reaction score
It's not just the national anthem issues dragging down ratings.

The next generation of sports fan aren't as crazy about football as earlier generations. My kids grew up playing soccer. My son loves the NBA. The issues around head trauma in the NFL and football in general are taking a slow but steady toll. Beyond all that, you have massive amounts of cord cutting of cable / DirectTV / etc.
Exactly
Many issues involved and the players standing is a very small one
Cord cutting and lack of interest in football are probably the biggest two

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think that's actually part of the problem............ there is no way to correctly and consistently track viewership across all mediums.

For example, living up here in the Philly area, I don't get all the Cowboys games. I probably watched 3-4 games last year over the computer streaming from one of those bootleg sites that uploads live local broadcasts. There's no way to count me as a viewer, I believe.
Just goes to show how "tech challenged" I am. Hell, I still use a flip phone and refuse to give it up. You're probably right.

LandryFan

Reaction score
It would tell that the NFL is far and away the most popular thing on TV and these current ratings don't tell the whole story.
You could well be right. All I can say with certainty is that my personal enthusiasm has waned in the last few years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You could well be right. All I can say with certainty is that my personal enthusiasm has waned in the last few years.

Mine has too.

I still love it but my personal enthusiasm has gone down because the Cowboys have let me down so many times that I just have learned to not put all of my emotions into it anymore.'

Jerry's ego is still the Cowboys #1 priority over winning so it really puts a damper on it.

Not to mention the offseason scandals we get every year. I'm exhausted with them.

erod

Reaction score
Prove it. And again just because things are better does not mean things are okay. Injustice is injustice.

The point is, get it out of my football, or I'm gone. And if I'm gone, then they make less and less money during their short football careers.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Ratings were declining before this anthem stuff. Quit kidding yourself to think ratings drop that much because of that. There is much more to it than that. A lot of it has to do with how Goodell and his people are running the league. The presentations of these games.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Me on how this got turned into criticism against players standing for the anthem.
ZcfqBkqCSoeGmTSftrgo_Confused%20Joey%20Friends.gif

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
I do get sick of everything being politicized, but that's not why I didn't watch any of last nights game. I didn't watch because it was the patriots playing. Like most of football America, I am beyond hating the patriots, and now to the point where I just don't care about them. There's no point watching and rooting for them to lose, because at the end of the season they will win their division, and most likely be in the AFC Championship game. Again. Therefore, I have zero interest in watching them play a meaningless regular season game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yes, because the only way one can show appreciation and respect for those who have put their lives on the line is to stand for the national anthem............ and if you don't, that means you could care less about those people.

LOL.

And how do we apply the rules of anthem standing? So if I am at home and watching on TV and the anthem comes on, am I supposed to stand up in my living room? Or does it only apply when you are physically present in front of a flag? What about radio?

So last night, when the anthem came on, was I disrespectful because I left my family room to go make sure my 5 year old brushed her teeth before she went to bed?

I need you diehard patriots to list for me the rules as it pertains to sporting events and when I should and shouldn't stand for the anthem.
What you do in your home is your business. No ones is telling you otherwise. In public, at a game there is a certain degree of decorum expected but not required to show your respect during the national anthem.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I do get sick of everything being politicized, but that's not why I didn't watch any of last nights game. I didn't watch because it was the patriots playing. Like most of football America, I am beyond hating the patriots, and now to the point where I just don't care about them. There's no point watching and rooting for them to lose, because at the end of the season they will win their division, and most likely be in the AFC Championship game. Again. Therefore, I have zero interest in watching them play a meaningless regular season game.

Well their front 7 and skill players on offense looked terrible. Sure they play in a terrible division but I dunno that they are going to win it.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think the declining viewership of the NFL product has to do with a confluence of a lot of issues. One of the biggest I think is the fact that the league has taken its popularity for granted for a long time and not only made zero effort to foster relations with the players, but they have made less than zero effort to foster relations with the fans. Everything they do is about making more money, and now over a decade's worth of selfish decisions is coming home to roost.

The 10-year-olds who run the league are just too stupid to realize that fans are a good investment.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Nice strawman.

Life is not equally hard for everyone. That is the issue. No one is saying be lazy although your narrative speaks to a disgusting stereotype pointed at minorities. It's not because of race it is because of work ethic!

Jim Brown is not someone whose opinion I care about.

The thing about jim brown is pretty funny to me.

"Jim brown said x,y, and z about this topic, he's one of the best football players ever so he must know what he's talking about regarding politics and social issues" :laugh:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The only thing I'm thinking about when I'm caught up in a live anthem rendition is I hope the speed through this bull**** so I can put my cap back on and get to watching the game
I have no doubt that is true. You have no perspective that even hints that you recognize freedom is not free, nor appreciate the sacrifice made by better men.

LandryFan

Reaction score
It would tell that the NFL is far and away the most popular thing on TV and these current ratings don't tell the whole story.
I'm sure the NFL is still the most popular product on TV. However, I'll bet the popularity has gone from "increasing at an increasing rate" to "increasing at a decreasing rate". If that's the case and the trend holds, it'll eventually get to "decreasing at an increasing rate". That's when the league will have problems, at least in regards to negotiations with the broadcast partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.