TV ratings continuing to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Reaction score
I would guess the bigger factor is that Millennials are not cable subscribers and stream most of their entertainment.

Evidence of theory: I'm 29 and technically a Millennial. Of my close circle of friends, I'm the only one with cable.
That's certainly part of it.

Case in point: I called DirecTV and told them to give me the NFL Ticket for free, or I'm leaving. They called my bluff, so I asked for the person to disconnect my service. They came on and asked what direction I was going. I said I would just stream everything through the PS4 (we have several TVs, so that wouldn't work). By the end of the call, I received DirecTV for free this season and had my overall bill reduced by 40 percent going forward.

Yep, they're not long for this world.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games

Well I guess that answers that.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Of course.

But the Cowboys can't play every team every week.

The ratings will continue to decline.

The product isn't as good.

Younger generation isn't as interested in it.

4+ hour games are a drag.
I think the length of games are a big part of it. Football in general is becoming to long. College is worst with their 4 1/2 hour games. The Texas/Maryland game started at noon here on the East Coast time and didn't end until near 4:00. The game last night didn't end until near midnight. I already know that I will have terrible Monday's on our SNF games. I don't know what they can to make it shorter but no game should be longer than 3 hours. People may hate soccer but one thing they are consistent in is a game will start at 3:00 and end about 10 or so minutes before 5:00.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
About yesterday, there were two teams that don't have enough star power for an average football fan to watch (exception of Brady and maybe Kelce).

I believe that if they would had Atlanta as the Pats opponent, the SB story alone would have generated some great ratings last night compared to the Chiefs.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Please prove that the lower rating are tied to the player protest.

You are aginst it obviously and you still watch belied your theory.

And I do like how people have turned social justice into an insult.
Love ya Fuzzy. But "social justice" these days has become sooo twisted and one-sided. Too political for me.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
The NFL on-field product is turning into flag football, and NFL management cares more about which social advocacy movement is en vogue at moment than their product. But this is all by design. Im afraid the NFL as know it and definitely as we used to know it won't be around much longer.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The NFL players are hurting their pocketbooks.

CBA negotiations, when it comes to money, are very closely tied to ratings and revenue. Ratings bring premium rates for advertising, thus revenue for TV contracts and all that implies.

Last night's kickoff opener was down 12% from the ratings of a year ago. Ratings were already down last year.

I suggest the players get off their butt and stand for the anthem, and stop trying to be social justice warriors. That is, if they don't want to see their checks shrink next CBA.

People are developing a cold shoulder toward athletes. If they want that golden egg, they'd better stop punching the goose.

On a personal note, I can feel my interest waning. I NEVER thought I'd say that about the NFL. Stop preaching to me, and play football.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/

It's not the protests, bro. There are too many commercials.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The term Social Justice and Social Justice Warriors = Political talk.

Let's drop it and any other political talk as it is not allowed on the board.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
my personal boycott is to wait until the game starts to tune in (after the national anthem), and flip the channel EVERY SINGLE time a commercial comes on....I am not supporting these kneeling clowns or the NFL specifically...I could not tell you one commercial that I watched in last nights game...I was flipping to movies and then back after 2 or 3 minutes....so, those advertisements were lost on me
You do realize, that watching the game on TV, whether you watch the commercials or not, still supports the NFL and their ability to generate ad revenue right?

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Of course.

But the Cowboys can't play every team every week.

The ratings will continue to decline.

The product isn't as good.

Younger generation isn't as interested in it.

4+ hour games are a drag.

And I've always found that people often become less interested in professional sports as they age. I never really understood that, but now I'm experiencing it. :)

Throw in how the NFL is trying to police things, and, for me, that doesn't help. But the quality of the teams really doesn't intrigue me, or at least it didn't last year. I enjoyed Cowboys games for obvious reasons and Panthers games because I liked seeing their fans suffer after their 2015 run, but that's about it. There were rarely match-ups that I viewed as "must see" TV during the regular season.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I believe the league is more responsible for the downward trend than the players.

This Zeke BS is Exhibit A of why the NFL is ****. Their agenda is to "protect the shield", but their actions consistently throw dirt on it. Why are you constantly trying to criminalize your own players?? They should get a clue from the NBA, where the league glorifies and promotes its players rather than belittling them.

Exhibit B) how does marijuana use still destroy an NFL players career? I'm an attorney and I am allowed to smoke pot, but guys who are going through intense physical pain are not allowed to smoke pot. Absolutely ridiculous.
Preach, my dear brother!!!!!!!!!

#FreeRandyGregoryDamnit

Status
Not open for further replies.