Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I don't believe Wilson, Flacco or Eli are "great" QBs. I think they are above ave QBs who had great Ds. Brees is great but only won the SB the year his D turned a large # of TOs into TDs. Brady is obviously great.

Oh I was a agreeing with you but just stating that the QB needs to be in place as well. The early picks in this draft aren't D playmakers (pass rushers), so go with the QB due to Romo's age and injury history, etc. Agree though, strong D and a good/great QB is always a solid foundation to work with.

Sandyf

Reaction score
My favorite would be Ramsey at this point because he appears to be the best player in draft and he can play either Corner or Safety. If a QB is not your BPA at #4 and you reach for a QB be it Wentz or Goff then all you have done is to become a Cleveland in reaching for a need instead of the best player available regardless of position i.e even Tunsil. In the 2nd, sure it is best to go BPA but at that point for most teams BPA and need closely match. I would guarantee that if Dallas reaches for a QB in the 1st then drafting in the top ten again is better than a 50-50 chance again next year unless we have absolutely no injuries anywhere.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
So then if your organization is too blind or stubborn, then what?

Watch every game with eager anticipation:D:

raw

bb721

Reaction score
If we still had Hardy and a clean Randy Gregory do you really think we go Buckner or Bosa with the 4th pick? I dont.

Regardless of what Hardy and Gregory did we're not forced to go with Buckner or Bosa with the 4th pick. This draft is deep in Dline talent, there will be guys there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would LOVE to for this team to be the trend setters in the NFL. Have other teams spend the next 10 years trying to duplicate what Dallas does. The best way to do that base on the personnel we already have is finding the next Adrian Peterson and putting him behind this O-Line. Let This team buck the trend of what typically works and force teams to play our style of Football

With that being said, I know the AP's of the world are very, very rare & who knows if Elliot measures up even remotely close.

I can tell you this, with the #4 pick you need to get a cornerstone Franchise type player.

This ^^^^^

I pretty much said the same thing in another thread. We built this line to DOMINATE in the running game...Let others copy our model. I couldn't agree with bsheeern any more. The only issue is, while we have our best pick in years there is no sure "can't miss" at RB or QB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have never won a super bowl without an elite running back. What history shows with the rest of the league means nothing. There is not a single player in this draft that will make an impact with the Cowboys than Elliott.
Passing him up I'll be the biggest bone headed thing they can do.

Save this post and remember that day I told you so. I am rarely wrong in my evaluation of players.

Well considering the structure of play calling and percentage changes of pass vs. run have changed since the Cowboys last one a SB, I do not think you can use a basis point of over 20 years ago and give it the same level of consideration.

Personally I would counter that the Cowboys have never won a SB with a defense that wasn't in the top half of the NFL and the pick at number 4 should be used for that... And considering what we witnessed between the Broncos and the Panthers... defense over a stud RB seems to be the rule of the day.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The front office has shown how they feel about the RB position sir. Using a premium pick on one isn't going to happen unless the guy is AD Jr., and Elliott from what I've seen, doesn't compare to that freak of a RB. Hopefully this is the last time we have a top 5 pick for some time, and we take advantage of it by taking Goff with a 36 year old QB

So true.. I like Elliot but his hype has made him overpriced.

He runs like the prototypical late first round at best guy.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This ^^^^^

I pretty much said the same thing in another thread. We built this line to DOMINATE in the running game...Let others copy our model. I couldn't agree with bsheeern any more. The only issue is, while we have our best pick in years there is no sure "can't miss" at RB or QB.

The challenge is Jarv that the running game in 2014 was running on bald tires by the end of the season. Teams were run-blitzing and placing 8-men in a box without regard to the passing game and Murray's stats over the last quarter of the season showed that. Plus the guy was spent.

You bring in a back and give him 350+ carries and by the end of the season he's not going to be running like he did in September.

On top of that you look at what happened to all the "bell cows" in the NFL last season... It was pure destruction.

With the new rules protecting the players and the concussion, guys that are going to be able to carry the ball 20+ times a game for 16 games without injury are going to be very a rare animal indeed. A back that simply gets up a little slow is going to be whisked off the field under concussion protocol and will be gone at least a week.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

Odd that you would name being late to meetings and not keeping his mouth shut to biggest of Hardy's transgressions. As for Gregory, most knew that it was just a matter of time before his affinity for da chronic would catch up to him.
But, yes, you are correct.
BOTH ARE IDIOTS AND BOTH HAVE COST US BIG TIME. Sir Jones, are you reading this thread I hope?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again ...

If you are upset with Gregory and weed, you might want to do extra research on Elliott. There are rumors of Elliott and Bosa, who were roommates, and drugs. Lots of drugs. Rumors of Bosa having to get away from Elliott because of the parties and the drugs. Yeah, neither Bosa or Elliott failed a drug test. But, I highly doubt Ohio State or the NCAA was, or is, seriously testing anyone.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/03/22/ezekiel-elliott-party-drug/

I ain't touching Elliott with the 4th pick in the 1st round. In the second or third round, I might assume the risk. Yeah, I know he most likely won'y be there in the 3rd round. But, if these rumors turn out to have some truth, he could fall.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The trouble with most fans' perspective of the Hardy situation is they look at it as fans and do not place themselves as co-workers...

In a work environment when you see a co-workers with a pattern of lateness, who creates disruption and performs at a good but not much more than that level and is getting compensated at the higher-end of the pay scale– there's going to be problems.

Soon you'll have many "If he can, why can't I" situations to contend with.

It's not the bad PR that keeps the Cowboys from pursuing Hardy for this season. That's the least of the problems.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The trouble with most fans' perspective of the Hardy situation is they look at it as fans and do not place themselves as co-workers...

In a work environment when you see a co-workers with a pattern of lateness, who creates disruption and performs at a good but not much more than that level and is getting compensated at the higher-end of the pay scale– there's going to be problems.

Soon you'll have many "If can, why can't I" situations to contend with.

It's not the bad PR that keeps the Cowboys from pursuing Hardy for this season. That's the least of the problems.

Mutual responsibilities...the Honor Code at the US Air Force Academy was: I will not lie, steal, or cheat...nor tolerate those who do.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Defense defense defense, Elliott is free to go somewhere else and get 1500 yds for a losing team and he will be on the downside by 26. Waste of a high pick.