Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
For most teams, this is right.

If we want to go back to 2014's identity, a RB would be worth the #4 pick in this draft if they are capable of stepping in and making plays right away.

He is one of the top five players in this draft and one of the safer choices that could be made.

Just because "normally" a back is not "worth" a top five pick is just a blanket statement that has little to no application to this particular group of players.

It is kind of like how you never take a center or guard in the first round. Seemed to work out okay before.

NORMALLY means nothing with this team.

We are anything if normal.

This team has always been unconventional in its attempts to improve in its history.

Taking a RB at 4 is very possible and it all depends on what is the plan.

If they really are not going to worry about Romo and really think he can play another 3 years..

then taking a RB makes sense to help Romo on offense as well as to protect the defense..

normal doesn't matter.

Its what fits your personnel and schemes.

I can see Elliot at 4 if they think he can fit the scheme.

I would really hate to see him go to the Jints or Eagles and have to see our defense stop him for the next 4 years twice a year.

Which I think is highly likely that they would draft him.

We can always wait and see later in the first round if some defensive player drops into the later 1st rd and trade up and take him.

Its all about knowing what you need and where to find it.

I think the big issue is after seeing what happened last year..do you regard the loss of production at RB or QB to be the critical factor and how long do you see the ability to win right now to be.

I think we go RB but maybe trade out of 4 and take Elliot a little further back or go for Henry instead.

Its going to be interesting.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
There will be no beating of a dead horse around here without my stick being included in the beating. Taking ANY RB #4 in today's NFL is a dumb.....really dumb move.

CCBoy

Reaction score
NORMALLY means nothing with this team.

We are anything if normal.

This team has always been unconventional in its attempts to improve in its history.

Taking a RB at 4 is very possible and it all depends on what is the plan.

If they really are not going to worry about Romo and really think he can play another 3 years..

then taking a RB makes sense to help Romo on offense as well as to protect the defense..

normal doesn't matter.

Its what fits your personnel and schemes.

I can see Elliot at 4 if they think he can fit the scheme.

I would really hate to see him go to the Jints or Eagles and have to see our defense stop him for the next 4 years twice a year.

Which I think is highly likely that they would draft him.

We can always wait and see later in the first round if some defensive player drops into the later 1st rd and trade up and take him.

Its all about knowing what you need and where to find it.

I think the big issue is after seeing what happened last year..do you regard the loss of production at RB or QB to be the critical factor and how long do you see the ability to win right now to be.

I think we go RB but maybe trade out of 4 and take Elliot a little further back or go for Henry instead.

Its going to be interesting.

A good train of thought...but the skeleton in the closet probably is saying defense right now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Everybody likes Zeke and that's understandable but honestly, this draft has talent at RB. I kinda like Dixon and Prosise as later round guys. The key for both of them is, can they pass block? Everything else, I really like about both of those guys from a physical standpoint.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Absolutely would pass on Fournette at #4.

He's not the all-round back that Zeke is...not even close.

Hardline

Reaction score
well considering the analogy that started this off - missing was the only thing left.

The missed analogy came from you. Mine was spot on and provable.
Name me one Cowboys team that won a super bowl without anelite running back. You can't and unless you address that very question don't bother. Because this is not about anything else.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
A RB was the heart, soul and the main reason for three Super Bowls for this team. I guess that is not worth a top 5 pick though.

The league has changed a lot in 2 decades.

And good to even great backs can be found with much less resources than the 4th overall pick in the draft.

Zeke in the first... even with a trade back... would be very foolish.

coult44

Reaction score
No RB is worth the #4 pick.

According to the Dallas Cowboys drafting style, and a bunch of delusional fans they have brainwashed. I mean why shouldn't you agree with their genius drafting philosophy? It's brought so many Championships to them in the past 20 years.
The 4th pick is worth whatever brings you a championship.... If a RB puts you over the top, then it's worth it. A couple years ago, none of you thought Frederick was worth his high selection. It was a value for that number of pick.....None of the top 10 guys are worth their top ten status in this years draft.

All this coming from a guy who wants a QB with the number one pick....I've just had enough with the "value" garbage...

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Oh I was a agreeing with you but just stating that the QB needs to be in place as well. The early picks in this draft aren't D playmakers (pass rushers), so go with the QB due to Romo's age and injury history, etc. Agree though, strong D and a good/great QB is always a solid foundation to work with.

Past Ramsey I agree that there isn't a WOW defender I would take at 4. If their QB of choice is there I'd take him too over Zeke every time. I wish I knew who they valued more. I like Wentz but have no clue if they feel the same.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
The missed analogy came from you. Mine was spot on and provable.
Name me one Cowboys team that won a super bowl without anelite running back. You can't and unless you address that very question don't bother. Because this is not about anything else.

no. you are dead on right. i can't do it. then again, i can't name a cowboys team in the last 20 years or more to do it, regardless of the rb. you're prancing around with grannys whiskey jug as if that's the only road to winning. if that were the case then you simply could not win the superbowl without an elite rb.

and THAT has been done. more than once.

so if you're argument is kept in a jar with the lid on tight only applying to the cowboys and only the cowboy superbowl years and pretending this is the only way back to winning again is fine.

for those living in a jar.

however, the world exists outside your scenario so your entire scenario is pretty much bull**** and you're right, not about anything else.

have a day, jed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Because we've done enough defensively this offseason that I think we're relatively happy adding a 2nd round talent to the defense as opposed to passing up on a franchise QB that high.

The only other two guys worthy of that pick - Jack and Ramsey - are guys that if they hit, they're probably two contract guys or free agents that walk after their rookie deal if we can't afford to give them that payday. A franchise quarterback that hits will be playing for us until he's 35, 36, 37 years old.

We've done enough? Youre okay with Mayowa? You're okay with Carr still on the roster at a $13m cap charge?

Foregone conclusion seems to be the same groupthink that has Bosa out of the top 5.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I believe there was ZERO chance they were taking Eliot regardless of who was signed at RB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Winston
Marriotta
Fowler
Cooper

I would rather have Gurley than all of the above.

Gurley only fell because his knee was injured. Elliott is not Gurley who has a combination of speed, power, and agility that really only AP compares with. Gurley explodes through piles while Elliott struggles to get push.

Hardline

Reaction score
no. you are dead on right. i can't do it. then again, i can't name a cowboys team in the last 20 years or more to do it, regardless of the rb. you're prancing around with grannys whiskey jug as if that's the only road to winning. if that were the case then you simply could not win the superbowl without an elite rb.

and THAT has been done. more than once.

so if you're argument is kept in a jar with the lid on tight only applying to the cowboys and only the cowboy superbowl years and pretending this is the only way back to winning again is fine.

for those living in a jar.

however, the world exists outside your scenario so your entire scenario is pretty much bull**** and you're right, not about anything else.

have a day, jed.

I knew you would get off topic since you cannot answer a direct question. That is called deflecting. I'll simply ask again.
Name one Dallas Cowboys super bowl team that didn't have an elite running back.
Keep I'm mind this question does not cover anything related to other teams .

CCBoy

Reaction score
Because we've done enough defensively this offseason that I think we're relatively happy adding a 2nd round talent to the defense as opposed to passing up on a franchise QB that high.

The only other two guys worthy of that pick - Jack and Ramsey - are guys that if they hit, they're probably two contract guys or free agents that walk after their rookie deal if we can't afford to give them that payday. A franchise quarterback that hits will be playing for us until he's 35, 36, 37 years old.

Sir, that would be smart money spent...as to Jack and Ramsey, one just can't argue with true impact players at the second and third levels in a passing NFL.