Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

Jenky

Reaction score
37667405.jpg

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
According to the Dallas Cowboys drafting style, and a bunch of delusional fans they have brainwashed. I mean why shouldn't you agree with their genius drafting philosophy? It's brought so many Championships to them in the past 20 years.
The 4th pick is worth whatever brings you a championship.... If a RB puts you over the top, then it's worth it. A couple years ago, none of you thought Frederick was worth his high selection. It was a value for that number of pick.....None of the top 10 guys are worth their top ten status in this years draft.

All this coming from a guy who wants a QB with the number one pick....I've just had enough with the "value" garbage...

I didn't think our lack of a running game was the issue last year. I'm convinced that quality RB play can be found later in the draft.

I thought it was poor pass rush particularly from the interior and middle coverage on defense. I thought it was backup QB play and receiver depth.

I think that the biggest upgrade to the team will be to go from Mayowa to an elite edge rusher or from Twill to another WR1 type that can consistently beat single coverage. Romo is back and Moore is likely to be better than Weeden and Cassell so a QB is unlikely to help in 2016. OTOH, a QB could save the franchise a lot of pain to round out the decade. To ignore the long view is foolishness.

Ramsey helps pass coverage. Bosa helps the pass rush. Wentz/Goff helps the backup QB. Jack would help but he has a torn meniscus. The WR are flawed.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I knew you would get off topic since you cannot answer a direct question. That is called deflecting. I'll simply ask again.
Name one Dallas Cowboys super bowl team that didn't have an elite running back.
Keep I'm mind this question does not cover anything related to other teams .

then it's a stupid question without any base in reality. have a day.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Past Ramsey I agree that there isn't a WOW defender I would take at 4. If their QB of choice is there I'd take him too over Zeke every time. I wish I knew who they valued more. I like Wentz but have no clue if they feel the same.

I'm really hoping Prescott is a smokescreen. Basically FA strategy but applied to the QB position in the draft. They won't let go of the 4-5 year Romo facade and bite the needed bullet; Wentz/Goff.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Because we've done enough defensively this offseason that I think we're relatively happy adding a 2nd round talent to the defense as opposed to passing up on a franchise QB that high.

The only other two guys worthy of that pick - Jack and Ramsey - are guys that if they hit, they're probably two contract guys or free agents that walk after their rookie deal if we can't afford to give them that payday. A franchise quarterback that hits will be playing for us until he's 35, 36, 37 years old.

But the first problem to the play maker players selected, is the true injury status for Jack being a very large unknown for that level of an investment.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

Elliot is not as good as he is being hyped for the last few weeks. He is a good back and clearly the best in this draft. But he is nowhere near Todd Gurley for example.
Whe you draft a back at #4 you do this because you think he is a one in a generation back like peterson (or maybe Gurley). Elliot is in the Melvin Gordon mold. So to be clear: I would not pick Elliot before the 17-20th pick. But only because there is no other good back in the draft. Last year Gordon and him could have easily slipt into the 2nd round.

You should be more angry if we'd take this kind of player at #4 then at Hardy or Gregory. Who both had their reputation and we still signed them.
So who is to blame ? A player who is who he is or a FO which refuses to judge him the right way ?

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Everybody likes Zeke and that's understandable but honestly, this draft has talent at RB. I kinda like Dixon and Prosise as later round guys. The key for both of them is, can they pass block? Everything else, I really like about both of those guys from a physical standpoint.

Dixon or Booker in the 3rd is much better value than Zeke at 4 imo. Both can do everything well and fit a ZBS. The difference between Zeke and Dixon/Booker is much smaller than the difference between Ramsey and TJ Green, Bosa and Tapper or Wentz/Goff and Prescott in my grades.

Then when you factor in the difference in salaries from a top flight DE/CB/QB on a 2nd contract to the 4th pick and its a massive net gain. However, a RB at 4 is going to get a 1st contract similar to what an elite RB on a 2nd contract would. Zeke not only needs to give you performance similar to AP to justify the pick, but also Bosa, Ramaey, Wentz and Goff all have to be marginal players or you still made a mistake on who you drafted. And none of that even factors in the longevity issue of a RB at 4.

RS12

Reaction score
What makes you think it's a foregone conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

He doesnt think the FO was in an alcohol induced coma after watching a 4-12 season with horrible QB play.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The probable outcomes of a meniscus injury are known and meniscus doesn't regrow. Stem cells and microfracture are still a developing procedure.

Medical procedure is a generalization, and a tendency at best. To invest in a potential and blue chipper, one has to have indicators more individually specific to gamble based upon reasons, not medical principals.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Greg Hardy's inability to keep his mouth shut,respect the coaching staff and show up for meetings and Randy Gregory getting busted for weed again has now forced us to go defensive end early in the draft again. Had these guys toed the line I have no doubt that the pick would have been Ezekeil Elliott (I don't see Ramsey being available at 4).

I don't know about you guys but just the thought of having a 20 year old stud RB with upside running behind Tyron Smith, La'el Collins, Travis Fredrick and Zack Martin for the next few years had me salivating. Now I know I must prepare myself for the Cowboys drafting lesser players at a position of need.

This reminds me of 1998 when Micheal Irvin's drug issues compelled us to take the safe pick (Greg Ellis) and miss out on a Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss. Drafting Moss most likely would have lengthened Troy Aikman's career. I see the same connection with Elliott and Tony Romo. Elliott would protect Romo as a blocker and also keeps 8 men in the box which helps Dez and the passing game. Elliott also protects the defense by keeping them of the field during long time consuming drives.

This is why I am really ticked off at Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory. Stay clean and we could have had a dominating team this year, But now we are left patching holes with free agency and the draft rather than making a good offense great.

I see no correlation between the two. They weren't drafting Zeke at #4.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Of course we do. If one of them is there, any other pick is crazy dumb. I can't fathom wanting a RB there instead.

I don't know why I think the QB will be there and we trade down for a #1 next year to get Watson and possibly fournette.

All signs point to a QB, but these other moves this offseason are status quo and we can get a a top 15 pick for 2#1s next year.

Not sure there is a trading partner, but jerry seems ready for some headlines.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Wow this is really telling... I dont live and die with analytics but it's foolish to discount it entirely. Good job but like with everything posted on CZ no one will read this.

This goes back over the last 10 seasons. In parentheses is the number of playoff wins for the team that season.

These teams led the NFL in Passer Rating Differential for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 18
2015 Seattle (1)
2014 Green Bay (1)
2013 Seattle (3)
2012 Green Bay (1)

2011 Green Bay
2010 Green Bay (4)
2009 New Orleans (3)
2008 Baltimore (2)
2007 New England (2)
2006 Philadelphia (1)

These teams' RB led the NFL in Rushing Yards for the season listed.

Playoff wins: 3
2015 Minnesota
2014 Dallas (1)
2013 Philadelphia
2012 Minnesota
2011 Jacksonville
2010 Houston
2009 Tennessee
2008 Minnesota
2007 San Diego (2)
2006 San Diego