Two idiot defensive ends probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott and a dominating run game

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Some people just have a pathological need to makeup a reason to explain why the Cowboys FO does things with which they disagree. Every team has it's share of conspiracy theorists and the Cowboys are certainly no exception. The Cowboys were never going to draft Zeke or any RB with the overall 4th pick.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to go this 8 pages but what makes anybody think Zeke Elliot is AP good? I don't see how he will make a significant impact on this team. First of all Garrett won't use him correctly.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why I think the QB will be there and we trade down for a #1 next year to get Watson and possibly fournette.

All signs point to a QB, but these other moves this offseason are status quo and we can get a a top 15 pick for 2#1s next year.

Not sure there is a trading partner, but jerry seems ready for some headlines.

Honestly, we could do anything. They might just be stupid enough to think that QB of the future is not a pressing need yet. But it is.

I could also see them taking defense at #4, and then coughing up next year's first and our second or whatever it takes to get to the Jets pick at 20 to take Lynch. We'd have him for 5 years, giving us 3 to develop him, and getting him a year early actually helps us in this case as he needs time in the system to develop and Tony doesn't have more than 2-3 years left, tops. It means forgoing a good player at #34 there, but otherwise, it's the same #1 pick we'd have to use on the QB eventually.

Or I could see us moving back a bit if we like Lynch nearly as much as Goff (assuming it's Wentz that CLE takes) and just reaching for Lynch at #7 but picking up another player in the process. That depends on how much we like both of those QBs, obviously.

Personally, I like Goff for us at #4. I'd take him and not look back. Spend most of the rest of the draft fixing the defense as much as I could and doing the same next year.

kevm3

Reaction score
If Hardy wasn't troublesome, he would never be here in the first place. He'd be resigned in NC. With troubled players, you have to take the bad with the positives and understand why they fell to you.

kevm3

Reaction score
For most teams, this is right.

If we want to go back to 2014's identity, a RB would be worth the #4 pick in this draft if they are capable of stepping in and making plays right away.

He is one of the top five players in this draft and one of the safer choices that could be made.

Just because "normally" a back is not "worth" a top five pick is just a blanket statement that has little to no application to this particular group of players.

It is kind of like how you never take a center or guard in the first round. Seemed to work out okay before.

Yep, or how you never take a linebacker with the top pick, but I'm sure Houston would love to have Khalil Mack

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Name one Dallas Cowboys super bowl team that didn't have an elite running back.
None. But you don't have to spend the 4th pick on a RB either.

Calvin Hill - pick 24
Duane Thomas - pick 23
Tony Dorsett - pick 2
Robert Newhouse - round 2
Emmitt Smith - pick 17

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
A good train of thought...but the skeleton in the closet probably is saying defense right now.

Yes..

I agree but I just think the futility of the defensive agenda is just too little and too late.

If the injuries hadn't occurred last year on offense..

and we had not fallen to 4-12 and we were a couple of defensive players away from elite status..

I would say sure..defense is a natural.

But its going to take 2-3 years to rebuild the defense like we have the offense.

No way are we going to be able to add 2-3 more 1st Rd picks to the defense and have it then measure up to a championship team.

We have just lost too much defensively with guys like Carr and Clayborne and Hardy being over-paid and under-productive.

Those guys also need to be replaced not to mention the need for safety and LBer upgrades.

That's alot of defense to be found and that is going to take time.

Not sure this team has that time.

To me..complete fixing the offense and stabilize that and then fix the defense.

An offense that dominates games and scores 30+ pts a game is going to make the defense easier to play.

No team is going to run the ball alot when they have to score 10pts a quarter to keep up.

That means stacking the defense to stop the offense from throwing it to win.

Take the need to worry about play action and play fakes away or defensing the run.

Dictate the other teams play and we look brilliant.

Don't and we will struggle.

Last edited:

robjay04

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to go this 8 pages but what makes anybody think Zeke Elliot is AP good? I don't see how he will make a significant impact on this team. First of all Garrett won't use him correctly.

I am not the biggest fan of Jason Garrett, especially the way he uses receivers but this offense has proven they know how to use a running back. You feed him the ball, it's not that complicated. I am sure Jason Garrett could figure out how to feed him the ball.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Do you realize who the quarterbacks were?

Morton was drafted 5th overall, Aikman was 1st overall, and Staubach won the Heisman and would have easily gone in the top 5 if teams didn't know he was going to spend five years in Vietnam.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Do you realize who the quarterbacks were?

Morton was drafted 5th overall, Aikman was 1st overall, and Staubach won the Heisman and would have easily gone in the top 5 if teams didn't know he was going to spend five years in Vietnam.

Or maybe how good those defenses were?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Elliott is so amazing that as a rookie he will come in, master all the blocking protections, all the pass patterns, all his running leads, and relegate three veterans in McFadden, Morris, and Dunbar to the bench before the Cowboys break camp.:)

I don't get it either. People who think the QBs in this draft are even more delusional. There is nobody in this draft that screams out as future greatness. And that especially includes Goff, Wentz, and Paxton. Does anyone really think Garrett would use a rookie QB even if Romo got hurt? RBs don't even see playing time here unless they can pass block. Garrett wouldn't even start Dez because he didn't know all the routes, if I remember correctly.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If anything Ezekiel Elliot cost Dallas Ezekiel Elliot. Don't be an idiot and teams won't avoid you.

Not that I think Dallas would have taken him even if he had a spotless background.

Jstopper

Reaction score
I knew you would get off topic since you cannot answer a direct question. That is called deflecting. I'll simply ask again.
Keep I'm mind this question does not cover anything related to other teams .

You fret about taking a rb at 4 overall, but ignore the fact that our good 2014 team had a rb (Murray) who was a 3RD round pick. Name me a single Dallas cowboys team that won a SB that didn't have a top 10 defense though. Don't worry I have all day.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yes..

I agree but I just think the futility of the defensive agenda is just too little and too late.

If the injuries hadn't occurred last year on offense..

and we had not fallen to 4-12 and we were a couple of defensive players away from elite status..

I would say sure..defense is a natural.

But its going to take 2-3 years to rebuild the defense like we have the offense.

No way are we going to be able to add 2-3 more 1st Rd picks to the defense and have it then measure up to a championship team.

We have just lost too much defensively with guys like Carr and Clayborne and Hardy being over-paid and under-productive.

Those guys also need to be replaced not to mention the need for safety and LBer upgrades.

That's alot of defense to be found and that is going to take time.

Not sure this team has that time.

To me..complete fixing the offense and stabilize that and then fix the defense.

An offense that dominates games and scores 30+ pts a game is going to make the defense easier to play.

No team is going to run the ball alot when they have to score 10pts a quarter to keep up.

That means stacking the defense to stop the offense from throwing it to win.

Take the need to worry about play action and play fakes away or defensing the run.

Dictate the other teams play and we look brilliant.

Don't and we will struggle.

I don't understand what people mean when they say we need LBer upgrades. Granted I wouldn't take a Vegas wager Lee and/or McClain play the entire season... But when healthy it'd one of the top combos in all of football.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
So true.. I like Elliot but his hype has made him overpriced.

He runs like the prototypical late first round at best guy.

I don't see Elliott as any better of a running back than Melvin Gordon. Yet, somehow, he's supposed to be the "cornerstone" of our franchise? Pshh, please.

I'm with you on Elliott.