Two things that have me bummed about this draft

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
You do realize we don't pick again until the very end of the 5th round, right?

And we only have one more pick in the 6th round after that.
They have a late 5th, 6th and two 7 round picks left this draft.

If they really want to they can trade into the 4th as they are getting a nice supply of comp picks next year.

So who knows?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Certainly you're not implying that all picks are created equal?
Its amazing that some people actually dont understand this.

Taking a RB in the 2nd round is not the same as taking a RB in the 6th round.

2nd round RB = Derrick Henry
6th round RB = Deuce Vaughn

Like, if posters would take just 10 seconds to think about this. If there were any starting caliber RBs left in this draft then why the hell is Jerry practically announcing they are going to bring Zeke back???

"I'm really looking forward to seeing what the future holds with Zeke-------Jerry in his day 2 post draft press conference when asked why no RBs were drafted"

Gambit

Reaction score
Certainly you're not implying that all picks are created equal?
I'm not. But I am unequivocally saying talent not only can be, but historically has been shown to come from every round.

I'm trying to understand your position better, please explain why drafting any player at all matters after 3 rounds.

I'm using 3 rounds because only 4 RBs have been taken in 3 rounds and you seemingly are saying we ignored the position for an entire draft after just 3 rounds.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
1. We have not taken a RB.

Who knows who will be there very late in the 5th. My guess is that the front office believes that their focus on the oline will allow any RB to be effective.

2. Missed out on a lot if talented WRs.

I like the Bebe pick at 73, but I would have loved if we got Roman Wilson. Can't remember if he went right before us, but wouldn't have minded a trade up using next year's capital to get him. RW reminds me of Tyler Lockett. I think he's going to be good for a very long time.
Like I said, some were going to complain no matter what happens.

Gambit

Reaction score
Its amazing that some people actually dont understand this.

Taking a RB in the 2nd round is not the same as taking a RB in the 6th round.

2nd round RB = Derrick Henry
6th round RB = Deuce Vaughn

Like, if posters would take just 10 seconds to think about this. If there were any starting caliber RBs left in this draft then why the hell is Jerry practically announcing they are going to bring Zeke back???

"I'm really looking forward to seeing what the future holds with Zeke-------Jerry in his day 2 post draft press conference when asked why no RBs were drafted"
One could use say Aaron Jones instead of Deuce Vaughn.

But agendas must be adhered to, I understand.

I've already shown your definition of starting RB is skewed.

And for the record I never implied all picks equal. I'm just saying that to say an entire position was ignored because a pick hasn't been made there after only 43% of the draft has occurred is a bit premature.

Most of the draft is before us still.

How can that question be taken to mean anything but what it is?

Clearly the NFL has spoken by only taking 4 RBs up until now.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm not. But I am unequivocally saying talent not only can be, but historically has been shown to come from every round.

I'm trying to understand your position better, please explain why drafting any player at all matters after 3 rounds.

I'm using 3 rounds because only 4 RBs have been taken in 3 rounds and you seemingly are saying we ignored the position for an entire draft after just 3 rounds.
Its called statistical probability.............................Our next pick is in the bottom of the 5th round.

Go look at every RB drafted in rounds 5-7 and then look at all the RBs drafted in rounds 1-4 and see which group produces the most starters.

Its like QB, sure you can hit on a Tom Brady in the 6th round but almost every starting QB in the NFL is drafted before the 6th round. That is why you saw 6 QBs all go in the first 12 picks last night and not a single QB tonight.

Gambit

Reaction score
Its called statistical probability.............................Our next pick is in the bottom of the 5th round.

Go look at every RB drafted in rounds 5-7 and then look at all the RBs drafted in rounds 1-4 and see which group produces the most starters.

Its like QB, sure you can hit on a Tom Brady in the 6th round but almost every starting QB in the NFL is drafted before the 6th round. That is why you saw 6 QBs all go in the first 12 picks last night and not a single QB tonight.
Yes. But it does not mean a position is ignored if a team utilizes 57% of the draft left to draft a player at that position, now does it?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yes. But it does not mean a position is ignored if a team utilizes 57% of the draft left to draft a player at that position, now does it?
Not true.

As a poster mentioned in another thread, the success rate for RBs drafted on day 3 is around 10%.

That means that outside of the first 3 rounds, 90% of running backs drafted are busts and wash out of the league.

So, if a team does not draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, the team pretty much is ignoring that position unless you think a 10% success rate is an acceptable risk.

Look at it this way my friend, do you really think the Cowboys would have practically announced tonight they are bringing Zeke back if they legitamately thought there were starting caliber RBs still available in this draft? They obviously are aware of the 10% success rate and are signing Zeke to cover themselves. Sure they might draft a RB on day 3, but they are not depending on that day 3 RB. If he happens to be in the 10% that make it, great. If he is not, then they are covered with Zeke.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My guess is they are targeting a big 3-down RB with the 5th or 6th pick....Isaiah Davis and Brealon are two names I'm watching. Brealon was a 30-day visit and they attended Davis pro day. This kid led College Football in rushing last season ( over 1600 yards ). His physical traits are very similar to Benson's. Having Zeke mentor either guy for a year would be huge.

Something else to keep in mind........MM had fewer rushing attempts last season than Kellen Moore during his final year. After trolling Kellen about running the "damn ball" more, he ran it less. My point is, with a improved OLine, either of these players will be fine IMO.

Gambit

Reaction score
Not true.

As a poster mentioned in another thread, the success rate for RBs drafted on day 3 is around 10%.

That means that outside of the first 3 rounds, 90% of running backs drafted are busts and wash out of the league.

So, if a team does not draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, the team pretty much is ignoring that position unless you think a 10% success rate is an acceptable risk.

Look at it this way my friend, do you really think the Cowboys would have practically announced tonight they are bringing Zeke back if they legitamately thought there were starting caliber RBs still available in this draft? They obviously are aware of the 10% success rate and are signing Zeke to cover themselves. Sure they might draft a RB on day 3, but they are not depending on that day 3 RB. If he happens to be in the 10% that make it, great. If he is not, then they are covered with Zeke.
Man you are really hung up on Zeke

Jerry was answering about the 40th question about him over the course of a week. Jerry says a lot of things most are nonsense.

The NFL has been speaking about RB for a few years now and the standard bell cow is at this time not what they are. This, to me, changes how you approach where and how they are drafted.

We see this playing out this year with only 4 taken in first 3 rounds.

The remaining guys are more of a complementary type of back. Exactly what the current way the position is being used today.

And Dallas, after Zeke's last contract here won't be spending for that type of back anymore. If they sign Zeke it'll be sub 4 mil a year one year deal. And should not factor in at all on drafting a RB.

There should be a guy who can help in the 5th. I'd prefer we move into 4th or top 3rd of 5th, sure, but I think there is someone who can help sitting there at 174.

But you have to change your definition of "starter" and success at RB position to see things how I do.

Gambit

Reaction score
My guess is they are targeting a big 3-down RB with the 5th or 6th pick....Isaiah Davis and Brealon are two names I'm watching. Brealon was a 30-day visit and they attended Davis pro day. This kid led College Football in rushing last season ( over 1600 yards ). His physical traits are very similar to Benson's. Having Zeke mentor either guy for a year would be huge.

Something else to keep in mind........MM had fewer rushing attempts last season than Kellen Moore during his final year. After trolling Kellen about running the "damn ball" more, he ran it less. My point is, with a improved OLine, either of these players will be fine IMO.

I'd like either. But also like a Blake Watson Ray Davis or Estime too.

We are looking for a complementary player not bell cow

Flamma

Reaction score

Who knows who will be there very late in the 5th. My guess is that the front office believes that their focus on the oline will allow any RB to be effective.

I like the Bebe pick at 73, but I would have loved if we got Roman Wilson. Can't remember if he went right before us, but wouldn't have minded a trade up using next year's capital to get him. RW reminds me of Tyler Lockett. I think he's going to be good for a very long time.
I didn't think we were taking a RB, but I did think we were picking up a WR on day two. I agree there. But maybe it's better this way. We need to lower our expectations for this year. Do that and the draft is perfectly fine. Get the OL out of the way. Got a DL and LB, and next year they can focus on RB and WR. Because what are we really doing this year? Better to not waste a premium pick on an ok running back. Hopefully next year there will be a better class.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Do we even play the Steelers this year?

I am worried about our skill positions. WR and RB in particular are going to be very questionable next year. Secondary depth is still at issue as well.
We actually do in Pittsburgh

plymkr

Reaction score
They should be able to run the ball with the stronger oline.
I agree. A strong offensive line makes the skill players better. We beefed up the offensive line which improves our trenches. And it sounds like we beefed up our offensive line with some physical nasty players.

Running game is better and the passing game will be better if the trench is solid. I’m happy with it.

plymkr

Reaction score

I’m having a hard time getting bummed out about this draft so far. And I’ve been pretty bummed since January. I feel encouraged by yesterday and today and it feels good to be encouraged.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
We couldn’t field a starting Oline prior to the draft and the DL still lacks depth, especially at DT

Hadenough

Reaction score
Didn't watch the draft because it's disappointing every year. All the QBs drafted and even if one fell to Dallas they wouldn't of taken him anyways. The Commanders, Patriots and Bears just got better than Dallas at the QB position.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I really think a great o line will improve the rungame no matter who's playing back. Now I'm not saying we have a great o line right away, but this is what they are building for. So there's enough time to pick a good RB in the 25 draft. Let's focus on creating a great unit with good chemistry in the trenches and fill the skill positions next year.

Next season wouldn't be wasted completely if that target could be hit.