Two things that have me bummed about this draft

quickccc

Reaction score
1. The draft is far from over.

2. WR wasn't a big need. Most didn't expect a WR in the first three rounds.

Agree.

- Although let's face it , if we're going into the 5th rd by this time ,..that' a project, special teamer, depth guy at the least.
Not a projected starter.

- Once Jonathan Brooks was gone, ,that seemed to zap any interest in a starting rookie RB.

- It's looking like '24 will be Zeke, Freeman and Rico RB committee.
I'm still not certain if Deuce will even make the team.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Isiah Pacheko says hello. And, different position, but Tom Brady and Brock Purdy do, too.
Brady and Purdy are extremely rare examples- exceptions to the "rule". By that logic, teams would be dumb to use a high pick on a QB when you can just grab one in the sixth or seventh round. The statistics show that is very very unlikely.

Hitting on a RB late in the draft is more likely though. Unfortunately, Dallas has an extreme need at the position. I doubt they will find a true threat at RB very late in the 5th.

Gambit

Reaction score
Dart throws and STers.
If you want to understand, simply go do an analysis of 5-7 round picks and see how many even make the team.
And another poster who avoids the point.

The original reply was to someone saying since we did not address RB by end of day 2 it means it will not be addressed at all. With 57% of draft still ahead of us, and with the large proportion of RBs still not drafted I contend that's an intellectualy dishonest assumption.

You're comments have added zero value to the conversation.

Gambit

Reaction score
maybe a Ridgeway, Bohanna type with one of the late rounders ?

Otherwise It's more looking like Undrafted rookies and very cheap vet FA's
There simply were not a lot of 1T in this draft.

conner01

Reaction score
Two things that bummed me out.
1. The Steelers taking two players I really wanted and came very close to falling to us. Troy Fauntanu and Zach Frazier.

2. Seeing Johnathan Brooks go off the board way ahead of our pick.
Loved Frazier. I like olinemen with a wrestling background

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
1. We have not taken a RB.

Who knows who will be there very late in the 5th. My guess is that the front office believes that their focus on the oline will allow any RB to be effective.

2. Missed out on a lot if talented WRs.

I like the Bebe pick at 73, but I would have loved if we got Roman Wilson. Can't remember if he went right before us, but wouldn't have minded a trade up using next year's capital to get him. RW reminds me of Tyler Lockett. I think he's going to be good for a very long time.
You're doing great if you're just at two........

quickccc

Reaction score
There simply were not a lot of 1T in this draft.
not the more regarded and established names .. but here's where the scouts gamble on finding the hidden gems

Jay Ratliff (7th) ... Kyle Williams (5th) ....Malik Jackson (5th) ...Grady Jackon (5th) ..etc.

JustChip

Reaction score
Brady and Purdy are extremely rare examples- exceptions to the "rule". By that logic, teams would be dumb to use a high pick on a QB when you can just grab one in the sixth or seventh round. The statistics show that is very very unlikely.

Hitting on a RB late in the draft is more likely though. Unfortunately, Dallas has an extreme need at the position. I doubt they will find a true threat at RB very late in the 5th.
Purdy and Brady are rare exceptions because of the position. But there have been plenty of 5th+ round draftees throughout the league in starting positions. Richard Sherman comes to mind.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Purdy and Brady are rare exceptions because of the position. But there have been plenty of 5th+ round draftees throughout the league in starting positions. Richard Sherman comes to mind.
I enjoyed our debate, but it's moot now. The Cowboys did in fact completely ignore the RB position. Nothing. Nada.

Gambit

Reaction score
not the more regarded and established names .. but here's where the scouts gamble on finding the hidden gems

Jay Ratliff (7th) ... Kyle Williams (5th) ....Malik Jackson (5th) ...Grady Jackon (5th) ..etc.
Oh there are always gems I just meant I don't think it was a position that realistically could be an expectation to fill this year due to limited talent pool.

They may have found that hidden gem in Justin Rogers this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
There really haven't. Just a handful. Can't look at exceptions and try to make a rule.

JustChip

Reaction score
There really haven't. Just a handful. Can't look at exceptions and try to make a rule.
Not making a rule. But to simply dismiss all post-4th round draftees is wrong. It depends on the individual player and the team they’re going to.

Terrell Davis is another example. He was selected by a team that excelled in finding and developing RBs. It didn’t hurt that he had Elway at QB.

One of the factors working against later round draftees in today’s NFL is the $ committed to early round draftees. Most teams skew playing time based on investment. That has certainly been true with the Cowboys. The salary cap and guarantees have lessened the meritocracy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not making a rule. But to simply dismiss all post-4th round draftees is wrong. It depends on the individual player and the team they’re going to.

Terrell Davis is another example. He was selected by a team that excelled in finding and developing RBs. It didn’t hurt that he had Elway at QB.

One of the factors working against later round draftees in today’s NFL is the $ committed to early round draftees. Most teams skew playing time based on investment. That has certainly been true with the Cowboys. The salary cap and guarantees have lessened the meritocracy.
Agree.

However, the discussion was about addressing needs/weaknesses. You do that in rounds 1-3, maybe 4. By the time you get to rounds 5-7, it's dart throws. You simply cannot count on anything happening.