Tyler Smith was dominating

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
1st pro game and pre season at that.. What I saw was a rookie taking care of biddness. 2 penalties do not negate pushing his man around plus a pancake or two. ..
Doesnt matter if he negates a big play and puts us long 3rd downs and the offense cant stay on the field

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is going to get penalties...unavoidable. But if he is going to destroy people all game, i dont care.

On the penalties where he took the defender to the ground, he just needs to back off a clock tick before the end of the play.
- If coaches cannot resolve that issue then there is a coaching problem.

Last year, Connor Williams was holding because the defender was going to beat him otherwise.
- That really wasn't the issue with Tyler.

I said several weeks before the draft that Tyler Smith's power relative to other college players was equivalent to Larry Allen vs NFL players.
- Now Tyler is overpowering NFL DTs (Denver DTs and Cowboys DTs in practice).

What I find the most freakish, is that he can get completely out of position standing straight up with his weight on his heels but still does not get over-powered by defenders.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Despite the 2 penalties one of which was questionable. He’s a rookie and will make mistakes but he’s going to be the starter.

What I love here is that Smith showed more than just his physical traits that we all already knew were elite. A few of those combination blocks show very good understanding of the run game. As a former offensive lineman I will tell you that processing a combo on a gapped DT into a linebacker lined up square behind him is not easy at any level. I also liked his understanding of when to chip to help out the left tackle or center on a reach block. The power he displayed is also something we've been sorely lacking in the middle for a few seasons and he has proven he can move an NFL DT wherever he wants if he has good positioning.

The miscommunication that occurred on the interception play was unfortunate, but expected from a 21 year old rookie out of Tulsa playing his first NFL game. That will get cleaned up with time.

In the passing game I liked his foot movement and eyes. Beat your man to the spot, anchor, and the rest takes care of itself. He also appears to have Tyron-esque hands meaning if he gets ahold of you, there is zero chance of escaping.

He showed us everything you want to see out of your future cornerstone offensive lineman and I do think that Dallas may have gotten themselves a good one with the potential for greatness. I also like his long term projection to left tackle. His body already looks significantly more trim and NFL ready. What is insane is that he likely won't hit his athletic prime for a couple more seasons and at that point I think he may be one of the strongest linemen in the entire league. The sky is the limit for this young man.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I recorded the game. Couldn't watch it last night until just now. Barely more than halfway done through the 1st quarter. Tyler Smith looks very good both in run and pass protection. On the 4th & 2 attempt at the Broncos 38 yard line, Tyler Smith totally whiffed his man lined up in the gap between him and Tyler Biadasz. Tyler Smith needs to block down towards the Center, so that DT whiff was on him. That DT came through untouched and hit Cooper Rush as he was forced to release a quick pass that was thrown behind Tolbert in the flat and intercepted.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was watching Smith quite a bit that play he took his man to the ground very nice . Did Josh Ball play decently ? I think Martin Smith McGovern and Farniok can cover the guard spot it’s left tackle with 77 I’m worried about .

Someone made the comment that LT may very well be the Cowboys choice in next April’s first round but that doesn’t help 2022 .

Near Term: I'm convinced that they'll either sign an OT that is cut by another team due to cap issues or they'll make some type of trade.
- Every year there are some older veteran starting OTs that lose the starting job to a young player and the veteran makes too much to remain as a backup.
- Also, as of 2 weeks ago, there were 4 veteran OTs that are unsigned and they were all full time starters last season.
- All 4 played the final games of the season (i.e. They were not injured).

Josh Ball was ok on outside rushes but repeatedly failed when the pass rusher went inside.
- Ball looked good in run blocking with good power.

Long Term LT: If they think that Tyler can move to LT in 2023, that would create a need at OG.
- I would prefer to draft a Left Tackle over drafting a Guard in 2023.
- Most LTs types drafted in the top 3 rounds can move to OG but college OGs can't move to LT.
- i.e. They would have the option of Tyler or the draft pick at LT and the other one at OG.

Matt Waletzko: I didn't expect him to be an option in 2022 even if 100% healthy.
- However, it would be good if he comes back this season because practicing with the team will allow him to develop.

Reactions: BAT

Ken

Reaction score
On the penalties where he took the defender to the ground, he just needs to back off a clock tick before the end of the play.

Last year, Connor Williams was holding because the defender was going to beat him otherwise.

I said several weeks before the draft that Tyler Smith's power relative to other college players was equivalent to Larry Allen vs NFL players.

What I find the most freakish, is that he can get completely out of position standing straight up with his weight on his heels but still does not get over-powered by defenders.
I agree, they can fix this pretty easily.

You are right, I haven't seen a player dominate NFL players like this since Larry Allen. Maybe there are others, like the Quinten Nelson (who i have seen dominate people like this), but it is rare.

He has rare strength and he will only get stronger in the NFL. Not to mention, he is only 21.

Cowboys stole one. Take a look at what he did game one vs what Evan Neal did. I was high on Neal and thought he was the best OT in the draft but he looked slow and unremarkable in game 1. We will see.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

I've been saying all along. Larry Allen II

RonWashington

Reaction score
Near Term: I'm convinced that they'll either sign an OT that is cut by another team due to cap issues or they'll make some type of trade.
- Every year there are some older veteran starting OTs that lose the starting job to a young player and the veteran makes too much to remain as a backup.
- Also, as of 2 weeks ago, there were 4 veteran OTs that are unsigned and they were all full time starters last season.
- All 4 played the final games of the season (i.e. They were not injured).

Josh Ball was ok on outside rushes but repeatedly failed when the pass rusher went inside.
- Ball looked good in run blocking with good power.

Long Term LT: If they think that Tyler can move to LT in 2023, that would create a need at OG.
- I would prefer to draft a Left Tackle over drafting a Guard in 2023.
- Most LTs types drafted in the top 3 rounds can move to OG but college OGs can't move to LT.
- i.e. They would have the option of Tyler or the draft pick at LT and the other one at OG.

Matt Waletzko: I didn't expect him to be an option in 2022 even if 100% healthy.
- However, it would be good if he comes back this season because practicing with the team will allow him to develop.

The Jets I believe spent 22 million over several yrs for Duane Brown after Mechi Becton will miss yet another long stretch . To get a quality tackle will cost . I agree would rather see Tyler Smith remain at guard . Nice recap on Josh Ball you gave , doesn’t sound all bad. Someone mentioned Alarcon as a possible 77 fill in and leave Ball at RT backing up Steele .

Jarntt

Reaction score
I thought he played ok. The first penalty was ridiculous. Guy fell down and he fell on top of him but didn’t even lay on him too long or anything. Second penalty I didn’t really see and no replay so I’m not sure about it.

one play he got confused on who his man was and absolutely whiffed and let his guy run right at Rush and drilled him. At first I thought it was Biadasz who screwed up but after watching the replay it was Smith. I think it was on the interception on 4th down. But another play his guy and Ball’s guy collided and then switched off and he picked his man up after the switch perfectly. Unfortunately Ball did not.

I can definitely see the strong punch they are talking about with this kid too. All in all I’m happy with how he played. Plenty to clean up but that’s not unexpected for a somewhat raw rookie in preseason game #1. Looks like he’ll be ok this year with the potential to be pretty good.

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, Im pressed. Good draft with Smith. We needed OL help, we got it.