Tyler Smith was dominating

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The coaches said they would fix it in the off-season. Through one game whatever they did, focused on, tried to drill into their heads didn’t work.

Are you really gonna just throw your hands up and pretend this isn’t an issue that needs fixing?

If penalties are a problem again this year, that’s a coaching issue.

Never said that......just saying it's not as easy as some seem to think. Pretty sure MM and coaches addressed it. Now whether or not they've addressed them correctly, I don't know. In fact, they/we can't know until real games with starters are playing.

BTW.......you didn't answer the question of how YOU would fix the problem. Anyway here's a breakdown of all Cowboys' 2021 penalties.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/team/dallas-cowboys?year=2021

https://www.nflpenalties.com/

Jipper

Reaction score
this is what I saw as well. But he HAS to get the penalties under wraps or its going to kill drives for us. By midseason this kid should be completely dominant.

But especially on that pick by Cooper, we can see that he had almost no time to throw as he did all night and the penalties killed any hope of Rush doing anything.

he had one legit penalty in his first ever nfl game….the second was bogus and the official threw a flag bc he saw the guy fall down not a penalty.

I have zero worries with this guy at this point, he’s developing as planned and will have growing pains but to go 25 snaps, dominate in run blocking and have one legit penalty in his first game, he’s doing well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
he had one legit penalty in his first ever nfl game….the second was bogus and the official threw a flag bc he saw the guy fall down not a penalty.

I have zero worries with this guy at this point, he’s developing as planned and will have growing pains but to go 25 snaps, dominate in run blocking and have one legit penalty in his first game, he’s doing well.

I love the pick and like the players. But nonetheless the penalties are an issue that have to be fixed.

Jipper

Reaction score
I love the pick and like the players. But nonetheless the penalties are an issue that have to be fixed.

Fair he needs to be clean and the one penalty needs to certainly be addressed technique wise; however there are so many on here over reacting on the penalty issues bc this guy had so many in college.

sounds like you have probably been watching this guy closely, as have I, and the training videos posted on him show so much maturation in such a short time that I really have no worries.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up with 10 penalties this year….somewhere around collins but better than Conner Williams.

I guess my point is, which I think we agree on, he’s going to be a great starter and will be a bit frustrating early on with penalties but not to over react that it’s going to be 15 a year

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Fair he needs to be clean and the one penalty needs to certainly be addressed technique wise; however there are so many on here over reacting on the penalty issues bc this guy had so many in college.

sounds like you have probably been watching this guy closely, as have I, and the training videos posted on him show so much maturation in such a short time that I really have no worries.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up with 10 penalties this year….somewhere around collins but better than Conner Williams.

I guess my point is, which I think we agree on, he’s going to be a great starter and will be a bit frustrating early on with penalties but not to over react that it’s going to be 15 a year

I was willing to discount the penalties in college, but they showed up again in his first action. I see no need to discount the penalties. Its a problem. Now he needs to clean them up.

Dre11

Reaction score
Dude beat him to the spot and he stopped him by reaching out with his left arm. Going to be a long season if we're doing these kind of apologetics after each game.

I don't know what you're looking at , no way did he hold on this play

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
He is already a million times better than Williams and McGovern. I can live with some growing pains if it means not seeing our LG get pushed into the backfield 30 times a game.

Ken

Reaction score
Totally unrelated but is there footage of Williams roughing the passer?
Camera on the. nfl network didnt show it really. It didn't look like a penalty from the initiation of the hit we were able to see.

Ken

Reaction score
Dude beat him to the spot and he stopped him by reaching out with his left arm. Going to be a long season if we're doing these kind of apologetics after each game.
Going to be a REALLY long season for you that you can't even appreciate elite talent when you see it.

Unbelievable.

Jipper

Reaction score
I was willing to discount the penalties in college, but they showed up again in his first action. I see no need to discount the penalties. Its a problem. Now he needs to clean them up.

well if you consider one penalty a problem then fine, the second was bogus and a preseason ref mistake

Bates

Reaction score
I don’t know how good this dude ends up, but you can see the strength we’ve all heard about. There was a play where a dude from the outside stunted inside and caught tyler standing high and by surprise (tyler didn’t recognize). He absorbed that freight train contact and eventually won that battle that he shouldn’t have. Then there was a running play where he blocked the backer. Normal routine stuff and he did his job, but at the end of the play he gave the backer a little shove, like you do a buddy, and that pro backer went stumbling for 5 yards.

shabazz

Reaction score
If they lead the league in penalties again this year just concede the season. How they even won 12 games is beyond me but you will not beat good teams being the most penalized team every week.

Good point and to make matters worse the chance of them leading the league in turnover differential again is gonna be harder to achieve……that helped get those 12 wins.

Dre11

Reaction score
That flag says otherwise.

So every flag means it's the right call. I guess the roughing the passer call was right too? I guess you feel the refs are always right and never over zealous in calls?

Haimerej

Reaction score
So every flag means it's the right call. I guess the roughing the passer call was right too? I guess you feel the refs are always right and never over zealous in calls?

I'm saying that was clearly a holding penalty. Again- the defender beat him to the spot and his only recourse was to use his left arm. His body was completely out of position and he took the guy to the ground. There's nothing to argue about from my end. The bigger question is why are you simping over a penalty? It's literally the kid's first game. Let him be accountable and get better.