Tyron gone for 6.5mil? Something has changed

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1 year's 20M contract with 6.5M guaranteed...

Has not played more than 13 games in a season since 2015.

Past 4 seasons:
Those are ugly numbers.

It's one of those "You're darned if you do and you're darned if you don't situations".

And jettisoning (get it? Jet) him a year early is better than a year late.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Cowboys aren't serious about winning. That's why they let him go. The writing is on the wall about this team. It's certainly falling apart faster then we know it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You have to think Dallas knows more about Tyron than anyone. He could not practice all year. He is a walking injury waiting to happen.

If they believe Bass and Hoffman are ready to step up, then we have wait and see.
Bass and Hoffman were not horrible when they played. That's far from being
He’s a 10 year vet it’s capped out as a 5th ;

“Players who have ten or more accrued seasons may only yield a maximum of a 5th round compensatory pick, even if their actual value would otherwise be assigned higher.”
I'd never heard that one.
Thanks.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Don't lose sight of the fact that availability is needed to be a consistent performer in the NFL. Without it, a team is left more vulnerable to defeat. The upcoming draft will include OTs who are capable of providing availability within their ability to perform. The Dallas Cowboys want that in their future.

Last edited:

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Its simple, Tyron Smith is another year older. The odds of him playing a full season are miniscule. Time to move on.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Its simple, Tyron Smith is another year older. The odds of him playing a full season are miniscule. Time to move on.
The upcoming draft promises to have a good number of OTs with the talent and health to provide availability. Evidently, the Cowboys' intentions are to acquire one of them, if possible. Let's hope they'll manage to succeed in that goal. The opportunity to do so seems to be the right time for that to come about. Let's just hope it does. Let's face it -- Tyron isn't getting any younger . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Will be sad not seeing a broke down old man falling all over the place in the playoffs dragging around a giant leg brace on each arm.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Impossible to judge until we know the incentives. If it is 500K per game and then escalates at say 10 games, it might not be worth it.
If it is nothing per game and all based on high games (13+) played it would very much be worth it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think Jones is listening more to McCarthy and others. It's not good to have an OT that never practices. Even if he can make it work and play well in the games, it's terrible for the OL, especially run fits and blocking when they get no practice together. I don't think the Jets will get their money's worth this season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
GM Jethro could have came up with an idea like that?
Maybe he'll learn whether he could have or not, and we will, too. The Cowboys' results of the past will be compared to that of the Jets in 2024.

Even then, it may not be a certain indication of how we fared. Every year is different, in terms of how Tyron deals with his limitations. We'll see.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys have been observed throughout many seasons to be vulnerable to poor decisions, mixed with okay ones. It's a mixed bag. Perhaps additional experience will teach them to become more careful and diligent in their decision making. However, the past two decades-plus aren't ones that were convincingly proven encouraging. They've been quite stagnant in their methods. Let's hope that changes for the better in the future.

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Cowboys aren't serious about winning. That's why they let him go. The writing is on the wall about this team. It's certainly falling apart faster then we know it.
While I agree with your statement IMHO letting Tyron go is one of the very few moves that I would consider a winning move. Dude has been here forever and we have won nothing. We would usually keep paying a guy like that 10 million a year forever until he is down to 10 snaps. We finally moved on. It was overdue. Embrace the future and what it might bring because the past sucked.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
While I agree with your statement IMHO letting Tyron go is one of the very few moves that I would consider a winning move. Dude has been here forever and we have won nothing. We would usually keep paying a guy like that 10 million a year forever until he is down to 10 snaps. We finally moved on. It was overdue. Embrace the future and what it might bring because the past sucked.
I agree with you. But they should have done this years ago. They are slow to react and when things hit the fan, they curl up in a corner and announce to the press that they are "all in" this year.